Huzzah for the Olympics

????

When does the next lot start? (You know, the ones we're supposed to be equally enthused about, the ones we say we're looking forward to with the same relish, the ones where the word 'courage' will be used a lot by the press, the ones we really don't give a t*ss about that come after the main ones).

The paralympics are two weeks away.

In all fairness I don't think the public are expected to be as interested in the paralympics as we are in the main event. The olympics features athletes competing at the peak of human ability, which the paralympics cannot really claim. But that's not to say that it's not a huge acheivement to get there, and talk of 'courage' shouldn't be dismissed as hype.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> sounds like the British public are plenty keen

>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19240972

Never underestimate the 'Bounce' eh?

"What a great party, shame it's coming to an end."

"Hey I know an all-night cafe where we can go!"

"Yeah and they serve beer if you buy a plate of chips!"

"The fun doesn't have to stop now!"

"Let's go!"

Undisputedtruth Wrote:

> I love the wheelchair races. Much better than forumula 1 racing.

Interestingly, former F1 driver Alex Zanardi is now a paracyclist, after losing both legs in a terrible crash.

Undisputedtruth Wrote:

> I love the wheelchair races. Much better than

> forumula 1 racing.

I've got some tickets for the athletics and didn't think about there being wheelchair races. I thought they would be more like blade runners, so it will be interesting to see what different types of disabilities the athletes have that compete. I don't rememeber ever watching a paralympics.

Undisputedtruth Wrote:

> I love the wheelchair races. Much better than forumula 1 racing.

Wheelchair basketball makes rugby look tamer than tiddlywinks.

Loz Wrote:

> Undisputedtruth Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I love the wheelchair races. Much better than

> forumula 1 racing.

>

> Wheelchair basketball makes rugby look tamer than

> tiddlywinks.

ooohhh! I've got tickets for the wheelchair basketball. They were cheaper than the value of the travelcards they sent me!

• 10 months later...