Panic buying hits DKH Sainsburys

edbloke

Went round this morning around 10.30am and most things seemed in stock except the loo rolls etc. I was looking at something on the Argos section and noticed somebody bringing out a massive pallet of Heinz baked beans. They were very popular! Nothing on the baby section i.e. all baby wipes were cleared out and nappies. Couldn't pick up a hellmans mayonnaise as shelves were empty but managed to get a last one of Sainsburys make so will see how that compares. The cereal aisle was empty as was the tea bag section.

Surprisingly the bread section was well stocked.

this evening there were no loo rolls, no fresh meat other than expensive cuts. No bread. Barely any milk, no butter, no bananas, biscuits pretty much gone. No rice, no pasta. I feel immense sadness for all those who can?t bulk buy, or who can only buy when their money comes through. What angered me was finding several packs of meat dumped on a dry foods shelf by someone who couldn?t be bothered to put them back in the chiller. No way of knowing how long they?d been there. On a normal day, that would be wasteful, on a day when there?s nothing on the shelves that?s..... I have no polite words.

sjf1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> At A J Farmer we currently have plenty of loo

> rolls ,soap and most other cleaning products.

> There is maybe a dozen or so lines in total

> that we have sold out of, but on the whole we have

> alternatives. Our supply chains are still

> in place with deliveries arriving 5-8 times a

> week, all standard for us. Demand is up , but you

> will

> find most of what you want. I?ve been in my local

> independent convenience store today, they also

> seem well stocked. Just try some of the

> independents you might be pleasantly surprised at

> what?s on the shelves

>

> Sophie

>

> Edited to add apologies for the layout of the

> post. Written on my phone without wearing my

> glasses. But I think you get my drift.

Look after our small(er) shops and they will look after you.

Had an email from Sainsburys this morning:

'Dear [],

You will have seen that, due to the ongoing uncertainty around the full impact of Coronavirus, supermarkets have been much busier than usual and customers are choosing to stock up.

I wanted to personally reassure you that we have more food and other essential items coming to us from manufacturers and into our warehouses and distribution centres. If we all shop just for the food that we and our families need, there will be enough for everyone.

I also wanted to let you know that at Sainsbury's, we are working really hard to ensure this remains the case. Over the past two weeks we have:

-

Ordered more stock of essential items from our suppliers

-

Put more capacity into our warehouses and

-

Set limits on a small number of items, including some cleaning products, soap and pain relief. This is a precautionary measure - if everyone shops normally, there will be enough for everyone.

There are gaps on shelves because of increased demand, but we have new stock arriving regularly and we're doing our best to keep shelves stocked. Our store colleagues are working tirelessly and doing the best job they can.

Which brings me onto a request. Please think before you buy and only buy what you and your family need. If we all do this then we can make sure we have enough for everyone. And please help elderly and vulnerable friends, family and neighbours with their shopping if you can.

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your continued support and to thank our colleagues who are all working incredibly hard to ensure we can continue to serve our customers well.

Best wishes

Mike'

Alec1 Wrote:

> this evening there were no loo rolls, no fresh

> meat other than expensive cuts. No bread. Barely

> any milk, no butter, no bananas, biscuits pretty

> much gone. No rice, no pasta. I feel immense

> sadness for all those who can?t bulk buy, or who

> can only buy when their money comes through. What

> angered me was finding several packs of meat

> dumped on a dry foods shelf by someone who

> couldn?t be bothered to put them back in the

> chiller. No way of knowing how long they?d been

> there. On a normal day, that would be wasteful,

> on a day when there?s nothing on the shelves

> that?s..... I have no polite words.

I used to work there - just 6 months shelfstacking when I was doing my A-levels to earn some gap year money - but belive me that behaviour isn't far off normal a lot of the time. Had the misfortune of working one Christmas Eve and the situation was very similar.

Freezers stripped bare, random crap left on shelves where people had decided they didn't want it, fights breaking out over the last scrawny bit of turkey. And that was with the shop knowing what demand would be like. It was chaos - almost like no-one had realised that it was Christmas but also people seemingly completely unable to plan. The shop was only going to be closed on Christmas Day, re-opening 9am Boxing Day but people were buying 40 pints of milk...

And screaming at staff to bring out more stock, arguing with each other over the last couple of loaves of bread...

Then on Boxing Day, same again, queues of people stampeding into the shop.

Most people don't realise how finely balanced the supply chain is a lot of the time. One tiny disruption anywhere and you can screw things for the next 36hrs until it all slots back into place.

I'd go local - it might mean a bit more wandering round shops along Lordship Lane but it also means you're supporting the community - as A J Farmer posted above ^^. Their supply chains tend to be a bit more robust too - little and often as they don't have the cashflow or storage space to be buying in massive bulk so re-stocks are more regular.

If Sainsburys limited all goods this wouldn't happen.

People going there like locusts from miles away from the morons boasting there the last few visits to the store.

Last night there were entire aisles 90%+ empty.

As someone struggling on benefits & with a wife who is immunocompromised the disgusting behaviour by people makes me just so angry & disappointed.

Even cat food is being targeted now :(

This is serious but there is no need, yet, for the panic buying the empty shelves in Sainsburys on Dog Kennel Hill are showing. I gave up watching the news and just check BBC News every so often as it was too worrying and the panic buying is fuelled by media coverage. We?ve not been able to restock when our usual need for tea and coffee came up. Others have said they struggled to find loo roll. It?s a vicious circle and we all need to do our bit.

Buy what you / your family need but don?t go overboard. Think of those who can?t buy toilet roll when they need or already use hand sanitiser on a daily basis as they have a reduced immune system, and so are in the vulnerable category, and can?t replace their stock because there is none to buy.

BBC News has a checker for cases in your area.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

@ 13 March local cases were less than 0.005%. It said

?There are 13 cases in Southwark, out of a local population of 317,256?

Talk of older people being advised to stay at home from this week.

There are support networks offering to buy them stuff and deliver (will this be counted as bulk buy - should they get some kind of special dispensation).

AylwardS Wrote:

> This is serious but there is no need, yet, for

> the panic buying the empty shelves in Sainsburys

> on Dog Kennel Hill are showing.

The some shelves are already empty and whilst they have been re-stocked those panic buying have left them empty again.

As someone has previously said, unless Sainsbury's and other supermarkets implement limits, this situation will continue. With the severe impact this virus can have on those infected, people are stocking up to prevent running out. My fear is lots of people having already stocked up and these items will sit unused in cupboards and garages for weeks and possibly months.

With whole countries being put into lock down, i.e. Italy, Spain, etc, it can probably be assumed that such countries will be unable to supply goods to countries they normally supply, i.e. pasta, passata, tinned tomatoes. I doubt the UK has sufficient supplies, and fresh foods will only last so long.

If you are thinking of going I would suggest you take a flask of tea and some food, the checkout out lines to pay for the few items left on the shelves are mad.

God help the old folks who have struggled to get there to find the cupboards bare.

Community spirit does not exist self greed there in abundance.

We are down to our last four rolls of toilet paper and I seriously am imagining having to queue outside the door of a supermarket an hour before it opens this week just to get some damn loo roll for normal everyday use. If supermarkets don't start enforcing rationing, the government will have to. This can not go on like this for months and quite frankly, emails from supermarket managers appealing to customers better side won't cut it. When people panic, they listen to no-one.

We went to sainsburys today at 1130 to do a normal weekly shop. There was no pasta or loo paper - apparently a queue of 50 people had formed outside at 1030 and were running across store and stripped it bare in 10 minutes when it opened according to the till assistant.

I am genuinely disgusted at people buying more than one pack of loo paper - there is just no need and frankly they deserve to be publicly shamed for their selfishness.

No matter what people write on this matter the undermentioned I think sums it sums it up 100%. Should have said More greedy selfish A/H.

Posted by richard tudor March 05, 04:45PM

"Perhaps there are more A/H in ED than anyone realised."