Panic buying hits DKH Sainsburys

edbloke

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have had NO problem getting hold of Toilet Rolls and Kitchen Towels.

> ...

> From Sainsbury's and the Co-op.

You went to both shops, were you stocking up for any reason ?? ;-)

btw I was in Sainsburys DKH around 3.30 and there was no toilet paper, pasta, tomatoes, cooking oil etc. Lots of people taking photos of empty shelves!!

slarti b Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I have had NO problem getting hold of Toilet

> Rolls and Kitchen Towels.

> > ...

> > From Sainsbury's and the Co-op.

>

> You went to both shops, were you stocking up for

> any reason ?? ;-)

>

> btw I was in Sainsburys DKH around 3.30 and there

> was no toilet paper, pasta, tomatoes, cooking oil

> etc. Lots of people taking photos of empty

> shelves!!

NOT stocking up. I shop in both stores. Mainly for Food. I just notice when there are toilet rolls and Kitchen Towels.

If the shelves are empty how are people stockpiling these items. ???

Somethings are in different places to where they usually are.

Sainsbury's The cooking oils have been relocated.

Tomatoes are perishable. Not suitable for stockpiling.

Empty Shelves are being constantly replenished.

Sue Wrote:

> I think we are talking tinned tomatoes.

>

> Well, I am :))

Oh.. Yes I am down to my last 148g Tin. I only use them when I make a Curry.

But I do have 4 X 400g of Base gravy that I make in bulk.

7am was as busy as 2pm on a normal Saturday, shelves were empty, looks like they failed to stock up, staff still doing online deliveries packing. Trays of meat stacked up not in fridges was my biggest concern.

Ocado are not accepting new customers and are only delivering to existing customers and slots are booked up more than 7 days in advance.

Talking to the owner of a little corner shop yesterday and he said the cash and carrys are limiting the number of some items that you can buy even if your a business.

Crazy times

Paulo Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I am surprised no one is blaming Brexit for the

> > empty ??? shelves,

>

> Yes good old Brexit, oh how we laughed...

I still heard the other day "we'll make our own vaccine"

I was in Co Op yesterday and there were NO toilet rolls or soaps. One lady was distressed as she told me she couldn?t get any in Sainsbury?s and was hoping Co-Op would have but they didn?t. I went in to get some for my mum and there isn?t any. Ocado is out. You just lucked out. By the way I was in Peckham yesterday and the queues were crazy in Savers and this went on: https://www.facebook.com/652845175/posts/10163160653895176/?d=n

DulwichFox Wrote:

> I have had NO problem getting hold of Toilet Rolls

> and Kitchen Towels.

>

> From Sainsbury's and the Co-op.

>

> People need to stop being so Melodramatic.

>

> There is no shortage.

>

> DulwichFox.

This crazy behaviour needs to stop, and supermarkets could do more than they are doing to stop it. They could start with limiting customers to two packs of anything being panic bought. That most of them haven't done this yet is baffling. Happy to cash in on the extra sales it seems.

At A J Farmer we currently have plenty of loo rolls ,soap and most other cleaning products. There is maybe a dozen or so lines in total

that we have sold out of, but on the whole we have alternatives. Our supply chains are still

in place with deliveries arriving 5-8 times a week, all standard for us. Demand is up , but you will

find most of what you want. I?ve been in my local independent convenience store today, they also seem well stocked. Just try some of the independents you might be pleasantly surprised at what?s on the shelves

Sophie

Edited to add apologies for the layout of the post. Written on my phone without wearing my glasses. But I think you get my drift.

whiteplumeria69 Wrote:

> I agree. It's starting getting crazy. They

> should,indeed, put limits on number of items you

> want to buy...

They already are doing that.

And not everyone who wants a number of the same item is panic buying.

I do a big shop every three or four months, when I stock up on things like tins of beans (plain not baked beans), tomatoes, tissues.

Unfortunately my first big shop since before Christmas coincided with Tesco's decision to limit the number of things I could buy.

As I am presently not eating meat, fish or dairy, except very occasionally, this has been vastly inconvenient, given that my existing food stocks were run right down, hence the shop.

Also, according to the delivery guy, Tesco are looking at a customer's recent orders in deciding how much of something to let them have.

So you can't beat the system by doing another order in a week or so.

Understandable to stop real panic stockpiling, but bloody annoying if you are just trying to have your larder and freezer restocked to its usual max level prior to eating it and then doing another big shop in three or four months' time.

dbboy Wrote:

> You could try smaller more frequent shops to allow

> you to stock up.

I could do, but avoiding having to do that and cart heavy items around (yes I have a shopping trolley) is the reason I do (or did) a few online shops a year, and just shop more frequently for perishables.

Busier at 3pm, but was able to get bread (which is low), milk, loo roll, desserts, chilled ready meals and a tin of spaghetti hoops.

Next to non existent on cleaning products, bin bags, mineral water (except 6-12 packs of 500ml, many tinned food product, toothpaste, hand wash, sanitary products. but had Heinz Baked Beans, including 6 pack less sugar packs and Spaghetti Hoops with a minimal amount of Heinz Spaghetti.