What is to become of the CPT

ladida

oh Keef are you as defensive about other things in life as much as you are about the CPT?....don't get all upset. I know the CPT is very dear to you, but it's a dump (to me) and I can't be arsed to walk through the door let alone try their 'crop'....but please don't yell at me again.

MadWorld74 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> oh Keef are you as defensive about other things in life as much as you are about the CPT?....don't get all upset. I know the CPT is very dear to you, but it's a dump (to me) and I can't be arsed to walk through the door let alone try their

'crop'....but please don't yell at me again.

Keef Wrote:

> If that is how you feel, then fair enough, but you shouldn't then slag off their wine when you refuse to try the current crop, as actually you have no idea what you're slagging off do you. That's a bit like saying a film is rubbish when you've not seen it.

Where in there have I yelled at you?

The CPT is a dump or shabby to lots of people, that's fine by me, each to their own.

I was simply making the point that you can't say they have crap wine when you haven't tried their wine, surely that's just common sense. It's a critisism based on nothing.

MadWorld74 no offence but your a bit of a snob, and fair play to you for wanting to drink wine in public houses (freak), but the fact remains some of the ordinary non pretentious people in ED do actually like to go into a decent boozer where it's down to earth and not full of picky wine drinkers who think that they're in the south of France drinking in some fancy restaurant rather than sat outside a boozer in south London in the middle of january with car fumes choking them to death.

Whilst I am on the topic of snobs and pubs which arnt worth a caret, take a look at the website for the gastrohellhole which carries the great name of the Palmerston (gone but not forgotten) - http://www.thepalmerston.net/ (also a link for the herne's website, must be same people who have taken them over).

Louisa.

*Bob* I've not been in the CPT for a long time, but I remember it from days of old (my dad was a regular for nearly 40 years) and to be honest it has hardly changed at all in that time. I think it remains just a decent normal pub, something seriously lacking locally now.

Louisa.

It's a perfectly decent normal pub for the sixteen regulars who want to drink there, but I would suggest that the other 99.999999999% of East Dulwich have voted with their feet and go elsewhere, pretentious or not.

If you're so fond of the place you should put your money where your mouth is and get down there for drink once in a blue moon, my girl!

*Bob* I genuinely have not had the time recently and before that had just forgotten, I guess when you live in an area for so long you just make presumptions that things will be the same forever (and they were until about 8 to 10 years ago), so never felt the need to venture in. As you quite rightly point out, the regulars are dwindling slowly and perhaps it will be forced into a makeover, but I think traditional boozers are becoming so rare in London now, that eventually there qill come a point when the few that remain do excellent trade with people come far and wide to experience it.

Louisa.

It used to be our local. But then the great East Dulwich thing happened and we had a baby. So we can't go there anymore. But we do have our saturday afternoon "pint break" after our Lordship Lane shopping at Liquorish or the EDT or the Bishop for a drink and a blackcurrant and soda for the little ones. Its a shame to go from weekly visitors to the CPT to tri monthly.

PS not suggesting CPT has major face lift or tries to become Bishop - but maybe children allowed outside on the terrace? With the men in work clothes?

Louisa Wrote:

> MadWorld74 no offence but your a bit of a snob,

> and fair play to you for wanting to drink wine in

> public houses (freak), but the fact remains some

> of the ordinary non pretentious people in ED do

> actually like to go into a decent boozer where

> it's down to earth and not full of picky wine

> drinkers who think that they're in the south of

> France drinking in some fancy restaurant rather

> than sat outside a boozer in south London in the

> middle of january with car fumes choking them to

> death.

>

> Whilst I am on the topic of snobs and pubs which

> arnt worth a caret, take a look at the website for

> the gastrohellhole which carries the great name of

> the Palmerston (gone but not forgotten) -

> http://www.thepalmerston.net/ (also a link for the

> herne's website, must be same people who have

> taken them over).

>

> Louisa.

Dearest Louisa,

Yes I am a bit of a snob and that should be of no consequence to you or anyone else. I have a right to say what I like and drink what I like where I like, South of France or not. You seem to have a bit of a problem with anyone that is not 'normal' in your eyes. Normal has to be the worst word ever invented in the English language. If 'normal'in your eyes is everyone who doesn't give a toss about what wine they drink, then so be it.

And with regards those 'ordinary non pretentious people in ED', good luck to you all, enjoy whatever boozer you choose to frequent.

I don't recall anywhere on this forum Louisa, making coments about your lifestyle and offering opinions about your tastes (well apart from you choosing to eat Boots the Chemist foods, but then plently of others also remarked about that confession) I do know from reading your threads though, that you are incredibly uptight about a great deal of things in life. Dont' be , it's far too short.

Louisa Wrote:

> MadWorld74 no offence but your a bit of a snob,

> and fair play to you for wanting to drink wine in

> public houses (freak), but the fact remains some

> of the ordinary non pretentious people in ED do

> actually like to go into a decent boozer where

> it's down to earth and not full of picky wine

> drinkers who think that they're in the south of

> France drinking in some fancy restaurant rather

> than sat outside a boozer in south London in the

> middle of january with car fumes choking them to

> death.

>

> Whilst I am on the topic of snobs and pubs which

> arnt worth a caret, take a look at the website for

> the gastrohellhole which carries the great name of

> the Palmerston (gone but not forgotten) -

> http://www.thepalmerston.net/ (also a link for the

> herne's website, must be same people who have

> taken them over).

>

> Louisa.

Since when has wanting a glass of wine in a pub made one a freak?

I don't particuarly like the CPT - not because of the 'ordinary non pretentious people' (although to think of yourself in such a way is pretty pretentious in itself surely!) but because I am not particuarly impressed by the choice of beers (either draft or bottled). However if other people like it - great - then they go there, I go elsewhere and we're all happy.

Re the Palmeston and the Herne - you don't like them, you don't like what they do - but others do and others frequent them. Why don't we all get over saying what we don't like is wrong and what we do like is right and just accept that different people want different things.

I hope that if the CPT does close down, it is replaced by something that suits the regulars and NOT another Palmeston/Herne/gastopub, as there should be room for all people with all tastes.

MadWorld74 Wrote:

> Mr MW74 has had bad guiness in there before...bad

> beer and wine is one thing, bad guiness can make

> you feel pretty rough.

I've mentioned before that I had bad guinness in Hackney - I have NEVER and I mean NEVER been so ill in my entire life (from alcohol that is...)

The CPT isn't "empty" it's just a quiet backstreet boozer. It's certainly unpretentious and perhaps that's why I and many others like it so much. It's a proper old fashioned pub that just needs a bit of TLC.

It certainly filled out a bit over the weekend for the rugby and football. I had earlier gone into the EDT with a mate to watch a bit of the rugby on Saturday and it was rammed to the gills and you couldn't get anyway near the telly or the big screen so went to the CPT instead and found a very pleasant atmosphere with people enjoying the rugby and later on the football in a not overcrowded, packed in like sardines way that you get in the likes of the Magdala and the EDT.

I've said it before and I'll say it again because I feel it's worth mentioning that the bar staff in the CPT have to be nicest and friendliest in the area and the Guinness goes down a treat.

If any of my friends lived in the vicinity (and they promised to stop showing SPORT all the time) it would be my preferred choice for a drink. But they don't, so I don't go there.

Unfortunately there's no denying that the most vehemently defended little boozah in ED is also the one most likely to get the chop. I'm sure it makes a cracking little home-from-home for a few dozen people and Keef six nights a week but it won't survive for long if it continues the way it is.

It has to be said, the CPT is my favourite place because it's never packed. It's rare that I go, but when I do, it's usually to sit outside with a pint and a book in the spring and summer. I don't like rammed-to-the-gills places at all, never have since my student days, and would never think of spending a whole night in a pub (unless it's the Coach in Soho), so that's why I'd like the CPT to just remain but in a slightly revved up kind of way. Nero

Unfortunately I think you are right Bob. It just depends on what kind of ideas whoever ends up buying it has.

If this thread is to be believed the brewery are not planning on financing any maintenance. So if it eventually does sell it will all be up to the new lease holder.