What is to become of the CPT

ladida

Bob, if you don't like sports on the telly in the pub. Just nip into the bar on the other side. Simple really. As Keef often says - it's two pubs for the price of one.

Anyway just for you:-

Sport, sport masculine sport

equips a young man for society

Yes sport turns out a jolly good sort

it's an odd boy who doesn't like sport.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sport, sport masculine sport

> equips a young man for society

> Yes sport turns out a jolly good sort

> it's an odd boy who doesn't like sport.

I have to say that I never have and never would go out with someone who didn't like sport - don't know why - but that little ditty puts it well....

Essentially the poem means "if you don't like sport, you're probably gay".

Anyway, I do like sport ("see the Bears game last night?"etc), just not in pubs when I'm trying to have a conversation, and not football (although like other anti-football people I do develop a short-term interest when the international stuff comes around).

Of course there are plenty of gay people who enjoy sports. My brother and his boyfriend support the Arsenal which is incredibly galling as I am a Spurs fan. I'm also sure there are plenty of gay footballers who are afraid to come out as it is such a masculine environment. Sorry but I have gone wildly off thread here haven't I.

CPT CPT CPT

CPT CPT CPT

"gay sports lovers"?

Anyway. Back to the CPT.

I kind-of get the feeling (from what people have said about it being for sale, the lease, etc etc) that there's a sinister plan afoot to let the place ROT so that there'll be an excuse to do away with the place and replace it with a real money-spinner some time in the future.

How I wish I was still out drinking 6 nights a week. Both my body and my wallet have made that a thing of the past. I even tried watching the rugby in the Mag on Saturday, and it was so insanely noisy we had to leave and head back to the CPT which was busy but not uncomfortable. Brendan I don't remember there being a problem with the Grolsch, but I had had several drinks and at least a couple of shots before getting there, so may not have really been tasting it.

What would you do if you were a business who owned the freehold of pub which was:

a) not in a prime location

b) in need of expensive refurbishment with the added annoyances of listed elements

c) not making you any money

c) in an area where residential property has recently rocketed in value with precious few new-build locations

Answer: 'prove' that the pub doesn't work as a pub (by way of making it a thoroughly unattractive going concern) - then convert it into flats, sit back and count the cash.

I think the CPT can work as a pub. Really.

Trouble is it at the moment it isn't really tapping into the market on its doorstep. Being a 'real boozer' for the few regulars that like a no frills, shabby and quiet environment to slowly sup a cheap beer doesn't pay the wages and overheads. Providing something that meets the needs and tastes of the local market who don't want to go to LL will. I've seen some pubs that are well off the high st where all the footfall is, that are very successful. Not saying it would be easy to do, but with a bit of thought and creativity to create the right product and a motivated management (with a bit of cash) the CPT could be transformed, instead of being converted into yet another block of 1 bed flats.

It could so easily be a success.

It could be a pub-style version of Inside72. A real proppa boozah with a musical flavour. Some honest grub, a bit of live music in the lounge, a good jukebox in the bar. Easy.

Unfortunately it seems the freeholder has made it clear that they're not prepared to offer any incentive for the management to make something happen, nor are they prepared to cut the pub loose and let someone else have a try, if they've got the bottle for it. I wonder why.

Nice pub, but without stating the obvious, it doesn't offer enough.

If you want dinner, you go somewhere else, if there is a large group of you - you go somewhere else, if you want to watch the rugby / football, the Magdala is best, if you want a lively night out, you go somewhere else. etc etc. It needs to catch up or die. Sorry for those of you who love it as it is, but as is clear, you are a small minority who don't spend enough and it is going out of business.

Like you say, spruce up the garden & lounge, serve some simple food (not Brakes catering and something other than gastro) and maybe advertise and it could be ok. Plus the freehold should be no more than ?150k

Oh, and move it 300 metres to LL.

Don't spend enough? How much more do I need to spend??? Agree the Mag has great screens, but they turn the volume up so high, I couldn't stand it during the rugby on Saturday, I was raising my voice to the guy right next to me and that is wrong for a pub.

TJ Wrote:

> Oh, and move it 300 metres to LL.

The Gowlett and The Rye aren't either but both do well. If you get the right ingredients in place people will come. The Rye was a complete dump before its current owners worked their magic. And I still trek over their now for one of their great roasts. Yes it has a big beer garden but even in winter its busy. The Gowlett has a nice back street feel too. And great pizzas as a USP.

The CPT has a good outdoor area, a lovely character behind that flaking purple paint and real potential. But the numbers that the current leasholder is asking for have to reflect the fact that it is not in a prime location and refurb costs are needed and right now they clearly dont stack up for any potential buyer. Or it would be done up by now. But the longer it remains in its current state and with current economics as they are, they'll take an offer eventually....

I think there was some problem with the kitchen, or lack of kitchen, that explains why there's no food on offer at the CPT. If I'm right then that obviously limits the potential for doing it up. Someone (i.e. Keef) may be able to provide more details.

I like the CPT. I'd prefer to see a wider choice of beer there, and maybe a bit of paint wouldn't go amiss, but really I wouldn't change too much. I like quiet backstreet pubs. Going drinking on LL, competing for space with all the other people hell-bent on having Superspecial Best Nite EVAR! type fun is too much of a faff.

Thing is, it's not just a lick of paint that's needed, there is structural work needed, and if anyone wanted to do food, they'd have to build a kitchen outback, or convert upstairs to a working kitchen.

A friend of mine had a little pub in West Norwood, and started putting out free pub grub on the bar for the punters and selling toasties and stuff. Everyone loved it, until some disgruntled customer she'd barred grassed her to health and safety, who threatened her with closure because she was cooking in her own kitchen upstairs. You make an effort and it comes back to bite you in the arse.

The current staff at the CPT try their best to make people welcome and get stuff happening, but with no support. Myself and a friend have played loads of nights (for nothing) there in an attempt to bring in a few people for them, not because we give a shit about the leaseholder, but because the actual staff who are there everyday are great, and they have to listen to people having a go at them for the state of the place and the price of the beer.

Ant we must have posted at similar times, but yep, the kitchen thing is an issue, there is no way they could just start serving grub now.

I just wanted to say that I am very pleased that this thread was started. We moved to ED a couple of weeks ago and I had written off the CPT as a place to have a pint in on the grounds that being off the beaten track, and looking a bit run down, it might be an intimidating "locals" pub to go into.

However, having read everyone's comments on here I am now looking forward to having a pint in the CPT and it's nice to hear that there is a proper boozer near my new home. And it sounds as those of you who frequent it are pretty friendly! The Mag is my other new local and it is brilliant to hear that I now have a choice for where to go for a pint in, when I am after somewhere that hasn't been gentrified. Fingers crossed that a sympathetic new owner materialises.

There is a small little pub in Belgravia that I regularly go to after work. They also don?t have a kitchen and similarly to Keefs mate they make a platter of sandwiches every night and put it out at around 7pm when everyone is hungry.

They have been doing it for years and I haven?t heard of them ever getting any trouble for it. They are just like bar snacks.

Sonners Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>I had written off the CPT as a

> place to have a pint in on the grounds that being

> off the beaten track, and looking a bit run down,

> it might be an intimidating "locals" pub to go

> into.

>

> However, having read everyone's comments on here I

> am now looking forward to having a pint in the CPT

> and it's nice to hear that there is a proper

> boozer near my new home.

You don't judge a book by it's cover do you Sonners?

And, that's exactly what it is - A proper boozer. You'll be most welcome I can assure you.