Stay your distance (including in Dulwich park)

Malarkey

janmac Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Although the eager finger-pointers think they are

> doing a public service by policing the new public

> health guidance, they are actually destructive of

> civil society, trust and our ability to talk to

> each other and negotiate the incredibly drastic

> new ways of living. We have to accept that there

> will not be 100% compliance, that's the case with

> any law or rule. It doesn't mean we all have a

> meltdown and start lynching people.

During WW2, did your predecessors feel the same way about the blackout?

Well, I'm ashamed to report I have this morning been destructive of civil society, trust and our ability to talk to each other and negotiate the incredibly drastic new ways of living.

Family of 5 stood static, spread out across a wide path, no way to pass through without being only 1-2ft away from at least one of them. We stood and waited a minute. Nothing, just stood there.

So I requested a gap / reminded the distance mentioned in the news, which they kindly provided for missus and I to walk single file through.

Sorry !

Some just find spacial awareness a particularly distant concept.

I posted a reply the other day in the 'runners in DP' thread after last running through there on Tuesday, making a huge point of avoiding anyone I saw, having to detour to maintain at least 2-3m. It really isn't a problem if your eyes are open.

I absolutely get that walkers find a panting human bearing down on them, intimidating - so, from one runner to another - it's exercise, not the Olympics.

The 2m thing is negated by the underground system. I know that the builders working next to me come in on public transport because they talk about it loudly outside my bedroom window in the morning.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8154805/Fury-Sadiq-Khan-grows-workers-forced-packed-Tubes-3rd-day-coronavirus-lockdown.html

At least less people died than yesterday.

seenbeen Wrote:

> The 2m thing is negated by the underground system.

> I know that the builders working next to me come

> in on public transport because they talk about it

> loudly outside my bedroom window in the morning.

> https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8154805/F

> ury-Sadiq-Khan-grows-workers-forced-packed-Tubes-3

> rd-day-coronavirus-lockdown.html

> At least less people died than yesterday.

Being said that there is a change in counting - but don't understand a word of this guy on newsnight.

and this one says there is a cut off time change and he is the Whitehall Editor of The Times (whatever that is)

I walked up to Ruskin Park yesterday and someone had helpful written in chalk on the pavement in multiple places kind reminders of staying 2m distance and little diagrams showing this distance.

I don?t have any chalk or I would happily add similar round the Rye...

I go out every day for a walk or a run and try to maintain the prescribed distance. It?s worth remembering that we all forget sometimes (I mean it is a dramatic change from normal life in an urban environment!) so I?d be very glad of a (friendly) shouted reminder if I forget momentarily that the world is turned upside down at the moment. At the end of my run today I saw a lady hurrying on her way pass very very close to an elderly lady with her shopping. I wanted to call out some (friendly with a smile) reminder but nothing sprang to mind. Maybe ?2m please! We?re all in this together??

I am now heartily sick of the builders next door- as I said before 3 of them are coming in SEPARATELY on public transport as they arrive at different times and wait outside.

Two of them were next to each other waiting for the keyholder for 30 minutes this morning- I have pics. Yesterday 2 others they transferred about 20+ lengths of wood and instead of one being at one end and one at the other one was grabbing it next to the other person- about 6" from his face- I have pics of this also. 2 of them went into the shop together and one of them came out saying she told me to go out- 'too many people' he dismissed it with a wave of his hand.

This morning 2 of them were shovelling sand into a wheelbarrow in the front garden - they were no more than a metre apart.

The deaths have shot up again

I think there will be a huge peak in deaths when the effects of all those people cramming onto beaches and parks are felt, plus of all the people who thought it was a great idea to go to pubs on the last evening before they had to close.

Quite why the government initially thought "guidance" would work is a mystery to me.

Though irritating (I'm very annoyed by it too) I'm not sure that one or two people getting a bit too close to each other at work will make a huge difference in the great scheme of things.

But partly I think this is a result of an extremely poor public health campaign by the government. There has still been nothing delivered house to house spelling out exactly what people have to do (and why) to keep themselves and others safe.

Not everybody watches TV/listens to the radio/uses social media (and in the case of the latter, there is a lot of fake news going about, anyway)

I am probably preaching to the converted here, but it would be very distressing for those who do not have a garden space to lose access to the park, like myself (I have a dog otherwise I would not be using the park at all). However, having been there and seeing people playing football, and chilling out in the sun. I can't help but think how selfish it is especially in light of the people using the space responsibly.

Also, and again I feel like I am in a place of reason here, but I have had to try and avoid people walking 2/3 abreast on the pavements. Not only is this completely against the advice given but is putting others at risk (either having to step onto the road, or having to be much much closer than 2 metres distance.

Above everything I am disappointed in my community's flagrant disregard for the health of their neighbours :(

Sue said

"Though irritating (I'm very annoyed by it too) I'm not sure that one or two people getting a bit too close to each other at work will make a huge difference in the great scheme of things."

That's what they all think...that's why they do it- if they have been on public transport what if just ONE of them has a vulnerable adult or child at home....here's a pic- they are sharing food. The one in yellow is the guvnor.....

one them travels on public transport- I have spoken to them and they laugh in my face. The postwoman stopped to tell them as well...I have a pic of that too

Sue Wrote:

> But partly I think this is a result of an

> extremely poor public health campaign by the

> government. There has still been nothing delivered

> house to house spelling out exactly what people

> have to do (and why) to keep themselves and others

> safe.

>

> Not everybody watches TV/listens to the radio/uses

> social media (and in the case of the latter, there

> is a lot of fake news going about, anyway)

The text message that went out to 88m mobile phones was probably quicker and safer than a leaflet drop.

95% of adults own a mobile which feels like a pretty robust comms strategy. If they'd had leaflets printed it would probably be out of date by the time they got delivered.

I'd be astonished if there's anyone in the UK (unless seriously ill, very young or a true hermit who always practice self-isolation) who isn't aware that they should be staying at home. But there will sadly always be a few who think they are either special cases or breaking the odd rule won't matter because they're always healthy who I suspect would ignore it until you actually locked them up.

Applespider Wrote:

>

> The text message that went out to 88m mobile

> phones was probably quicker and safer than a

> leaflet drop.

> 95% of adults own a mobile which feels like a

> pretty robust comms strategy. If they'd had

> leaflets printed it would probably be out of date

> by the time they got delivered.

>

That's true, I'd forgotten about the text message. And I take the point about things being out of date, and also texting being safer (though the posties are out anyway delivering other things).

Though they didn't send anything out by text until telling people they MUST stay at home. They didn't send a text during the time they were ADVISING people not to go to pubs, etc..

Basically anyone who has a garden should only be allowed out to buy essentials or work. Cycling should only be to work or buy essentials. WTf is wrong with everybody? Unnecessary 'need' to ride the streets in lycra will literally kill people. Otherwise clear pavements so people who have to use them can do with as few interactions as possible.

It?s pretty farking simple. Keep a 2 metre distance. You might not be overly worried about yourself or your immediate young and healthy household / family but as you jog past someone, panting, with a 30cm gap, consider that although you reckon that you?re going to come out the other side of this fine, that person may have cancer, or respiratory disease, or live with someone who does. There?s no debate here. Keep a 2 metre distance, that means you might have to stop jogging - gasp - for 30 secs to maintain a 2 metre distance. Your need to jog interrupted is highly, highly unimportant in the current circumstances. If you can?t reconcile this, or feel your civil rights are being violated, stay on your sofa.

I?d love to know the stats of how many people die from the fecking self-entitled joggers - it can?t be zero.

I?m getting near wanting to ban the activity, too. The privilege is being abused, to other peoples? detriment.

Like I?ve said before, most joggers are great, but the asshole 10% are seriously in need of slaps.

FlatStanley Wrote:

> Agreed. And I?m a jogger. The 20% (not 10%) are

> letting everyone down. Let?s not forget the

> pedestrians who don?t move a hot, usually

> teenagers or young adults.

I am obviously no spring chicken and when out for my exercise walk (my garden has no fences up between the disgusting bomb/building site next door so exercising there with the noise and dust is impossible) I only hear the joggers coming up behind me when they are puffing and panting a foot away....they can see me easily- get in the bloody road! (they probably do it deliberately- and I've got a vulnerable young adult in my house)

A suggestion for indoor exercise is to play a YouTube video and Wal/ jog /run on the spot. This link to a run round Central Park has been posted on a Facebook group I?m on

A playlist of music on your headphones while working out was another suggestion

mako Wrote:

> To be honest I think all joggers are letting

> everyone down. Stay at home, and literally no

> excuse if you have your own garden.

Sorry if I've missed something here, but are you suggesting people should jog around their garden?

You'd have to have a pretty big garden, surely?

The government have been clear enough on their instructions regarding the lock-down.

Stay in your home at all times, unless your journey outside is essential. There are some specified examples of what this means with food shopping and once a day for exercise being two of the most common.

There is nothing in the instructions that I have seen or heard to say that people should be taking their exercise in their own gardens. Or that over and above common sense and courtesy, walking pedestrians have priority over joggers.

I am going out for a run fairly regularly, also going out for just a stroll some days and going to the shops every now and then for food. I notice that most people who are out seem to be respectful of the instructions and of other people, as I try to be. A small, but significant minority are not in a whole range of ways, and that is in no way limited to joggers.