Stay your distance (including in Dulwich park)

Malarkey

Oh of course the government instructions have said its ok so the virus will avoid you if are on permitted exercise. In less populated areas going for a run could be done without many interactions. The pavements of Lordship Lane do not fall into that category. If you have to run why not go to the parks where you can be avoided. As for your 'small minority', you cannot fit on most pavements and keep 2m apart. your reaction times to do so are less with joggers especially if it requires one of you to go in the road which it does. In 10 minutes out my window there were 45 instances of people passing within 2m of people they werent with. it is a significant number that could be avoided.

No Mako, the virus won't miraculously avoid me when I am running, anymore than it will when I am out walking or buying groceries... a bit lost as to what point you are trying to make there.

KK - that's fair, but have people said that exercise should be limited to jogging, I haven't seen that on this thread - have I missed it?

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "You'd have to have a pretty big garden, surely?"

>

> Nah - just do loads of laps, sorted.

In my garden, a lap would consist of just jumping from side to side :))

AylwardS Wrote:

> A suggestion for indoor exercise is to play a

> YouTube video and Wal/ jog /run on the spot. This

> link to a run round Central Park has been posted

> on a Facebook group I?m on

>

> e=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1tyulAMsyNEcx9n5gu10JBDaWcEQ

> ev-iTf3NiGed2LjCuJ3pNpvKRi-g8

>

> A playlist of music on your headphones while

> working out was another suggestion

I'm doing Couch to 5K from home, jogging on the spot replacing jogging in the streets

DuncanW Wrote:

> No Mako, the virus won't miraculously avoid me

> when I am running, anymore than it will when I am

> out walking or buying groceries... a bit lost as

> to what point you are trying to make there.

>

>

> KK - that's fair, but have people said that

> exercise should be limited to jogging, I haven't

> seen that on this thread - have I missed it?

The more you reduce interactions the better for everyone. You do not need to be pounding the pavements. All interactions you make jogging are entirely avoidable. People will die due to unnecessary encounters with joggers. Yes more will die from shopping but that is essential and not just 'because I want to'

I have a son who has had an operation on his lung.I am terrified of going out and have stayed indoors because of people's inability to understand how serious this is. I would love to go outside for a walk but don't. It's a luxury I can't afford.

I go out jogging in the evening after 8pm. Hardly anybody about, eerily quiet, and the only people you do see are either out for exercise too, or walking their dog. The roads are empty, so if you do see someone coming your way, it's easy enough to just run in the road and give them a couple of meters space. So... I think it's safe and I'm unapologetic TBH.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> I go out jogging in the evening after 8pm. Hardly

> anybody about, eerily quiet, and the only people

> you do see are either out for exercise too, or

> walking their dog. The roads are empty, so if you

> do see someone coming your way, it's easy enough

> to just run in the road and give them a couple of

> meters space. So... I think it's safe and I'm

> unapologetic TBH.

I don?t think you?ve read the rest of the thread. No one is suggesting that people doing what you?re doing should be apologetic. The thread is about people who aren?t following the guidelines when they?re out jogging. And they most certainly should be apologetic but more crucially, stop behaving anti socially, ignoring govt and WHO directions and putting peoples lives at risk because of a sense of entitlement. If you?re not apparently agile enough - as some people are laughably using as a justification, as if a jogger?s momentum is as unstoppable as a bullet - to swerve and distance yourself from others while out jogging then you must stay at home. It?s as simple as that.

If you stay 2 metres away from others you can jog outside.

If you don?t, you must stay at home.

?If you?re not apparently agile enough - as some people are laughably using as a justification, as if a jogger?s momentum is as unstoppable as a bullet - to swerve and distance yourself from others while out jogging then you must stay at home.?

The point was that walkers are inevitably often caught off-guard, meaning they are out of control of their ?safety space?.

They have little time to react, is all.

That is, react to someone potentially infecting them against their will.

You know, the disease that kills people, that one, get it ?!

No-one is saying all walkers are cripples nor that joggers run at 1,700mph (speed of a bullet).

If you don?t agree with the proposition, no need for ridiculous extremes !

Though they are funny.

Kid Kruger I think we?re saying the same thing. If you?re out for a walk and respecting the 2 metre rule, it?s not ok for joggers to bear down on you panting and puffing and passing you by 30cm. Some joggers have tried to justify this behaviour by explaining that if you?re a jogger and you?ve got a bit of a wind up you and are really enjoying your momentum then it?s impossible or simply too much of an ask to expect them to compromise their momentum in order to adhere to the guidelines. The ?if you?re having a really great run it?s kind of tricky to be having to factor in whether you?re invading people?s personal space yeah?? Unless you?re Usain Bolt attempting to break the 100m world record or extraordinarily mal coordinated this is a complete nonsense. If you are walking and a jogger comes up behind you then it?s their responsibility to maintain a 2 metre distance from you and not be breathing down your neck.

What I dont get is why can't joggers walk to the park and then jog?

My boyfriend jogs and thats what he's been doing.

Frankly I dont get why joggers have to jog down the pavement huffing and puffing in our faces-I'm 60 and need my daily walk but its become quite stressful because of the inconsiderate few who choose to jog down the pavement (twice today I was the one who stepped into the road in order to maintain the 2m distance) and also those who cycle down the pavement.

its strange how oblivious some people can be to how serious this is-keep your bloody distance from strangers when you are outside your own home whether inside a shop on the pavement or on the street-someones life could depend on it.

Absolutely. Every walk I go on is an elaborate ballet of zig zagging around, walking in the middle of the road where safe, crossing the road multiple times a minute if necessary. In my experience the people who appear oblivious to this and just power on as if wearing blinkers and like no one else exists while people either scatter in their path or worse, don?t notice their approach until they?re right next to them and an infection risk, are joggers. I like to exercise - I like to jog - but it hasn?t occurred to me that this means I?m not included in the rules. It?s mental.

experienced this yet again this evening on pavement at Peckham Rye- runner on phone running straight at my son and I, forcing us into road, and we still weren't quick enough to make the 2 metres. Ran on oblivious.Cant a runner be alert and just run on the spot till correct distance is negotiated between those involved? Dare I suggest its time the government made a specific appeal to runners and cyclists , and /or the local police,(who I've seen turning up the other evening at the Rye), were more " on it ". Apologies in advance to the many who are observing the guidelines, but these threads have shown it is a maddening and dangerously persistent problem with a significant proportion of runners that just isn't going away.

OK hello sailor, with you now and completely agree x

hellosailor Wrote:

> Kid Kruger I think we?re saying the same thing. If

> you?re out for a walk and respecting the 2 metre

> rule, it?s not ok for joggers to bear down on you

> panting and puffing and passing you by 30cm. Some

> joggers have tried to justify this behaviour by

> explaining that if you?re a jogger and you?ve got

> a bit of a wind up you and are really enjoying

> your momentum then it?s impossible or simply too

> much of an ask to expect them to compromise their

> momentum in order to adhere to the guidelines. The

> ?if you?re having a really great run it?s kind of

> tricky to be having to factor in whether you?re

> invading people?s personal space yeah?? Unless

> you?re Usain Bolt attempting to break the 100m

> world record or extraordinarily mal coordinated

> this is a complete nonsense. If you are walking

> and a jogger comes up behind you then it?s their

> responsibility to maintain a 2 metre distance from

> you and not be breathing down your neck.

hellosailor Wrote:

> I don?t think you?ve read the rest of the thread.

> No one is suggesting that people doing what you?re

> doing should be apologetic.

I don't agree, someone is saying "there's no excuse if you have a garden". Which I find absurd. It's all about avoiding crowded areas and times of day, and giving everyone plenty of space.

Yup. There are joggers on this thread and another near identical thread on this forum explaining how it?s really rather tricky to traverse other people if you?re really ?in the zone? on a good old run. These same individuals, we have to assume, manage - somehow - to press the wait button at a pedestrian crossing and jog on the spot for a second rather than helplessly dart into the path of a juggernaut because they?re so lost in their own momentum that they can?t take steps to avoid being killed instantly.

Essentially what these people need to do is just to take a moment to consider that the lives of people who they don?t know are as important and valid as their own.

Would you sprint across a road without checking if there was a risk to your life even if it slowed down your run? No.

Do other people feel the same about their own lives? Yes.

hellosailor Wrote:

> Yup. There are joggers on this thread and another

> near identical thread on this forum explaining

> how it?s really rather tricky to traverse other

> people if you?re really ?in the zone? on a good

> old run. These same individuals, we have to

> assume, manage - somehow - to press the wait

> button at a pedestrian crossing and jog on the

> spot for a second rather than helplessly dart into

> the path of a juggernaut because they?re so lost

> in their own momentum that they can?t take steps

> to avoid being killed instantly.

> Essentially what these people need to do is just

> to take a moment to consider that the lives of

> people who they don?t know are as important and

> valid as their own.

> Would you sprint across a road without checking if

> there was a risk to your life even if it slowed

> down your run? No.

> Do other people feel the same about their own

> lives? Yes.

Exactly.

I don?t think it?s helpful to pit pedestrians against runners. It should be about everyone treating each other with respect and following the government guidelines. I?m a runner and go out of my way to do so carefully, I cross the road if I see pedestrians ahead, run into the road or a drive if I need to avoid someone and if that?s not possible to do so safety whilst running,I stop entirely and move out of someone?s way. The govt guidance is clear that daily exercise is permitted and it?s essential for physical and mental health so it would be a shame to ban it entirely. Most people are being respectful but I?ve seen bad behaviour on both sides. I saw a male runner spitting in dulwich park yesterday, I was absolutely horrified. But I?ve also seen families walking 3 or 4 abreast on the pavement making absolutely zero effort to make space or go single file. I?ve seen mums with toddlers weaving all over the middle of a path making it impossible to pass safely, even when I?ve asked I have been ignored. We just all need to be a bit more self aware. Blanket fury at a whole group is dangerous and unhelpful. There?s nothing wrong with ?joggers? in and off themselves, it?s thoughtless people that are the problem. I think London is probably just too densely populated for so many people to be out walking / exercising so often the stress isn?t coming from individual behaviour but just being confronted with how difficult it is to be outside and avoid contact.

You hit the nail on the head with your last sentence. For those in densely populated areas relinquishing lengthy exercise sessions outside of the home are a sacrifice we should all try to make for now. It is quite simple really. You have not said this, but others seem to feel justification for pursuing their individual exercise agendas is supported by the fact that not so many people are out exercising. A stance I really cannot get my head round.

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> hellosailor Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I don?t think you?ve read the rest of the

> thread.

> > No one is suggesting that people doing what

> you?re

> > doing should be apologetic.

>

> I don't agree, someone is saying "there's no

> excuse if you have a garden". Which I find absurd.

> It's all about avoiding crowded areas and times of

> day, and giving everyone plenty of space.

Presumably you agree that fewer interactions less than 2m means less infections and less deaths and less terrified pedestrians, and more people less scared to do their shop for fear of these interactions. Presumably you agree that if you exercise in your garden then interactions are reduced therefore lives saved. Doesnt seem that absurd to me. If you have to jog, do in parks. I see literally no need to do it on narrow pavements in busy areas such as lordship lane beyond selfishness and self entitlement.