Joggers, not keeping a asfe distance

firth

I remain confused about why people jogging have less right to be on a footpath than walkers? Of course everyone should be be considerate but why shouldn't joggers be on a footpath? Apparently the speed someone is moving by foot dictates whether their foot is eligible for the path?

Where does that leave fast walkers?

binkylilyput Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I remain confused about why people jogging have

> less right to be on a footpath than walkers? Of

> course everyone should be be considerate but why

> shouldn't joggers be on a footpath? Apparently the

> speed someone is moving by foot dictates whether

> their foot is eligible for the path?

>

> Where does that leave fast walkers?

How do you think joggers should be considerate? Wear a mask or avoid going close to people?

Who said it's about rights ?

I'd suggest it's more about courtesy of a shared space.

This has all been done to death in the Spring in other threads on EDF, it's all there.

binkylilyput Wrote:

> I remain confused about why people jogging have

> less right to be on a footpath than walkers? Of

> course everyone should be be considerate but why

> shouldn't joggers be on a footpath? Apparently the

> speed someone is moving by foot dictates whether

> their foot is eligible for the path?

>

> Where does that leave fast walkers?

I've enjoyed this thread due to the vociferous comments, particularly in the early days of lockdown, and that joggers became public enemy number 1 as opposed to cyclists. My objective view is that many are obsessed with personal bests and the tracking apps, and occasionally wont give way/give space. It happened a couple of times on the railway bridge, cyclists like me walking their bikes, parents with young children some with prams, all trying to give space and then a jogger runs through the tight gap brushing by others. Wonker. But not sure if that is 5, 55 or 95% of joggers. It's usually a bloke thing too, the competitive element

KidKruger Wrote:

> Yep.

>

> wordsworth Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > KidKruger Wrote:

> >

> --------------------------------------------------

>

> > -----

> > > pepper spray. sorted.

> >

> >

> > Is that supposed to be funny?

Phew, felt confused.

For me it's not a jogger vs pedestrian issue. It's more of a 'people not being dicks' issue.

Unfortunately most people out there - whether they've moving 12km/h or 5km/h - seem to be in a world of their own and have no interest in keeping alert and cooperating to give each other space.

malumbu Wrote:

> My objective view is that many are obsessed with personal bests

> and the tracking apps, and occasionally wont give

> way/give space. It happened a couple of times on

> the railway bridge, cyclists like me walking their

> bikes, parents with young children some with

> prams, all trying to give space and then a jogger

> runs through the tight gap brushing by others.

> Wonker. But not sure if that is 5, 55 or 95% of

> joggers. It's usually a bloke thing too, the

> competitive element

I think that's more or less fair. If you want to bust out a PB, there's a time and place. Laps of Dulwich Park, or going out late at night for instance. Not during the day on busy pavements. Everyone (including joggers/runners) need to be prepared to step out into the road or to wait between parked cars to let others by.

The selfish, stupid joggers are probably more like 50% than 5%. But I'd also suggest that completely gormless pedestrians not giving others space (staring at their phones, walking three abreast, or walking straight down the middle of the pavement) are of at least a similar ratio.

In deed, there should be a pavement code for pedestrians, who should wear lights including brake lights, have mirrors, and indicate. I've posted this before, but only semi facetious ie how many times have you almost walked into someone who suddenly stops to check a text, or have to suddenly brake as someone crosses the road without looking on their headphones.