Joggers, not keeping a asfe distance

firth

last time I was in LL near M & S, there were several joggers running through the area which was crowded. I have nothing against joggers as my hubby was one for many years (had to give up as it wore out his knees and hips) but I do not think it appropriate for them to be running in a shopping area i.e. from Townley Road to East Dulwich Station and should stick to the side streets.

I resisted this impulse for a while but I think they need to ban jogging for a while. Just too many behaving badly. I don't like bans but it's getting out of hand now. Every time I leave the house for the daily dog/self walk, there are at least 4 or 5 examples of irresponsible behaviour. It's too much.

Hello All

I'm the least 'joggardly' of any blighter in the SE22 postal district.

To describe me as 'chunky' would be the basest of flattery and 'big fat bastard' utterly accurate, so I'm commenting on the jogging debate as an observer.

I enjoy joggers/runners along Barry Rd, for the most part we rub along pretty nice, I'll step around a tree to allow them to carry on and most always get a cheery nod or breathless 'cheers' from them.

I think they brighten the whole place up and give it an aura of health and vigor that I contribute bugger all to.

Now just to let you all know, I'm no great scientist, really, so what I'm about to opine is fairly much an opinion of sorts.

But when a jogger is on the run and gives off a cough/splutter/hiccough/plosive expletive or deep snort then it would seem to me that in not a great scientific sense (if that's the word I'm groping for) there should not altogether be a what my peers might refer to as a BSD (Big Snotty Deal) about the whole thing.

It'll end UP going UP in the air, no harm done, all ending up as what we not at all great scientists term 'copacetic'.

Cushty Rye and be lucky.

first mate Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had to move out into the road to avoid a

> youngster heading straight towards me on the

> pavement yesterday, as I did he smirked and

> started giggling to himself.

OK- so some of them are behaving badly deliberately. I got a smirking look from a young 'man' who was walking along hand in hand with his live-in, I assume, girlfriend as I swerved into the road to avoid them as they were obviously NOT going to move and I am OBVIOUSLY not a young person

And another beauty... tonight, about 7pm, at Peckham Rye, was walking through the empty, wide pathed garden near cafe- could literally hear the panting coming up behind- turned round to see large framed woman jogger, 40's, grey top, red headphones, bearing down on me, showing no sign of moving across. I indicated "space" with my arm, and was treated to " Is there sumfink wrong with you, freak?" as she passed within 2 or 3 feet of me. What to do? I'm perfectly resigned to constantly changing my own course, and picking my way through the dog turds and potholes in the grassy areas, but if there's no escape, are we supposed to just put up with it for fear of abuse from some selfish morons? With her grasp of the current situation, perhaps she should have joined in the football match which was taking place at the top end of the Rye...

A jogger bumped straight into me today on a corner, no apology, I cursed (loudly!) under my breath. She jogged round the block came straight up to me, I was walking in the road at this point, and had a go at me! Most joggers are fine but a few are plain ignorant. Rant over!!!

variable, like most bands. worth digging in on YT there are some gems, I will PM you a couple of their classic performances.

malumbu Wrote:

> Nice one. Not sure if I like the Sleaford Mods or

> not, friends think I should. But interesting and

> nice to talk about other things for a change even

> if I am going off topic.

Yeah. Definitely over the joggers now. They need to ban it. A small and definitely unscientific count over the last 4 days of those seeking to self-distance came in at a depressing 40% on my walks. Head count of around 45 joggers. I've jumped into the road too many times to be tolerant any more.

That's interesting edcam, someone earlier above seemed to think it was MY problem alone seeing so many 'jogger misdemeanours'.

Must be catching !

Truth is, it is happening all the time (walkers too, obvs..).

I'm with you. No-one's gonna die cos they can't run 5miles in 30minutes every day of the fecking week, but people are gonna die from transmission.

Just watch at Dulwich park gates, joggers will rarely show they are willing to (perish the thought) stop/give way so it's a game of dare and they just plough on through because, you guessed it, they are actually doing something while you are just walking.

When I'm out for my regular run, and there's someone else using the pavement, I run well out into the road to make space. But the reality is that 90% of other pavement users (walkers, runners, dog-walkers) just do not reciprocate this in any way whatsoever... not even moving 1ft towards the inside of the pavement. Some even continuing to walk side-by-side.

Now, if everyone here complaining about runners/joggers are really in that precious minority who cooperate to some extent with others in the interests of social distancing, then great. We are on the same side. But if you're in the vast majority that just walk on down the middle of the pavement, arrogantly expecting other pavement users to be solely responsible for keeping distance, then frankly you're part of the problem.

So, why can't you run in a park. Why use pavements knowing full well that people walking on them (which is what they're intended for, by the way - walking, not jogging), can't get out of your way. You sound selfish to the extreme. I think you'll find it's joggers like yourself who are the problem. Pavements are not there solely for joggers to use.

lindylou Wrote:

> So, why can't you run in a park.

I run at night, when hardly anyone is around. Parks are not open at night. I try to avoid going out during the day. Other people I encounter are almost always also out for exercise of some description.

Why do I sound selfish? Because I think that if I've ran out into the road to give someone space, that person (be it a pedestrian or another runner) should also shift over a few inches in the other direction if they are able to? Perhaps you could clarify whether you believe this expectation constitutes being "selfish to the extreme"?

Because I can't understand for the life of me, why you feel you should run on pavements. I agree most parks are closed at night. But surely you could run on Peckham rye? I'm sick to death of this having to leap out of the way of joggers.

Expecting people to get their exercise on an unlit grass common at night is completely unrealistic, and probably unsafe. I am already being considerate by a) only going out at night, b) giving other people space.

If runners are not making efforts to give you space and forcing you to move out of the way, then clearly that is wrong. Nobody should be expected to "leap out of the way". In fact, I have experienced the same myself with other runners refusing the deviate from their path, so I am not without sympathy.

I simply think that my efforts to make space should be reciprocated in some small way, where possible. I am not sure if you agree with this point or not. Because in addition to being very rude, you are making a "straw-man" argument, i.e. arguing against different points to the ones I have actually made.

I'm not a jogger personally but I'd love to know where you got your information about where it is stipulated that a pavement has been constructed for use at a particular speed or gait?! Who said a pavement is intended for walking not running? It's known as a footpath, not a walk path!

lindylou Wrote:

> So, why can't you run in a park. Why use pavements

> knowing full well that people walking on them

> (which is what they're intended for, by the way -

> walking, not jogging), can't get out of your way.

> You sound selfish to the extreme. I think you'll

> find it's joggers like yourself who are the

> problem. Pavements are not there solely for

> joggers to use.

Soylent Green Wrote:

> I only go out to walk the dog and have just come

> up with the ingenious idea of pointing my long

> ball-chucker in the direction of any jogger, as I

> step to the side of the path. If they want to

> avoid being hit, they need to swerve!

NICE ONE!

'But the reality is that 90% of other pavement users (walkers, runners, dog-walkers) just do not reciprocate this in any way whatsoever... not even moving 1ft towards the inside of the pavement. Some even continuing to walk side-by-side.'

I've noticed this most of all. Couples refuse to go single file, even though I have moved to the road, we still don't have 6 feet between us. Completely oblivious.