Joggers, not keeping a asfe distance

firth

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> doody - I think the message HAS got through to all

> runners at this time (how could it not have), and

> to all walkers. It?s now about individual

> belligerence, which is down to personality.

Totally agree. I've had by eye on this thread for a little while as I am a regular runner/ jogger who, like many others, has been very careful to keep my distance from others. Not all of us are bad or selfish.

There are always going to be some people who will not respect the required distancing and will continue to not give space to others regardless of whether they are running/ walking/ skateboarding/ cycling etc.

I've now given up on the park as it is too stressful constantly trying to give people a wide berth (especially when they make no effort themselves or don't even acknowledge it) and I'm sticking to side roads etc and going where looks quiet.

As an aside about the personalities of some, every time I've been out this week, I've seen people spitting in the street - again regardless of their activities - mainly people just walking on the pavement. Gross.

On the spitting thing I will try to gob into a tissue or a bin but sometimes rarely I am caught short. Pollution and people who smoke in shared buildings are massively to blame, it's horrible. We go outside to exercise to get fresh air and toxic phlegm has to be coughed out.

That's the exact same reason I may spit, Twoddle. Bad smells or fumes one may encounter, such as accidentally getting a mouthful of acrid stench when stuck behind a smoker. We're not obliged to swallow that junk, so down on the pavement it goes (ideally in a drain or the gutter).

I have a new bugbear when out for my daily stroll or jalk (it's still definitely more walk than jog) that seems to be more prevalent than joggers or cyclists coming too close.

Pairs (presumably who aren't social distancing from each other) who seem entirely oblivious to anyone walking in the opposite direction and make no attempt to go in single file while I squeeze into someone's hedge to keep maximum distance.

And a plea to acknowledge people as you pass. In normal times, moving so deliberately out of someone's way would feel like ostracising them and with so many single households, your smile or nod might be the only social interaction someone has.

KidKruger Wrote:

> That's the exact same reason I may spit, Twoddle.

> Bad smells or fumes one may encounter, such as

> accidentally getting a mouthful of acrid stench

> when stuck behind a smoker. We're not obliged to

> swallow that junk, so down on the pavement it goes

> (ideally in a drain or the gutter).

I've been concerned about smokers too. Has anyone read something about droplets from exhaled cigarette and vape smoke?

Ruskin Wrote:

> KidKruger Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > That's the exact same reason I may spit,

> Twoddle.

> > Bad smells or fumes one may encounter, such as

> > accidentally getting a mouthful of acrid stench

> > when stuck behind a smoker. We're not obliged

> to

> > swallow that junk, so down on the pavement it

> goes

> > (ideally in a drain or the gutter).

>

> I've been concerned about smokers too. Has anyone

> read something about droplets from exhaled

> cigarette and vape smoke?

I'm sure they have. Whether or not this will be absolute bollocks will be quite easy to work out. Because things are easy prey at the moment does not mean they are something to worry about. neither smokers nor vapours have been shown to spread disease. it is far more likely to be anyone doing normal things.

come on everyone, think.

Personally I don?t believe the stuff about the virus transmitting in smoke, it wasn?t my point anyway - I was just talking about the stink and taste.

Ruskin Wrote:

> KidKruger Wrote:

> -----

> > That's the exact same reason I may spit,

> Twoddle.

> > Bad smells or fumes one may encounter, such as

> > accidentally getting a mouthful of acrid stench

> > when stuck behind a smoker. We're not obliged

> to

> > swallow that junk, so down on the pavement it

> goes

> > (ideally in a drain or the gutter).

>

> I've been concerned about smokers too. Has anyone

> read something about droplets from exhaled

> cigarette and vape smoke?

There are wa(kers who run, cycle , walk and dog walk I'm afraid . Joggers seem to be a particular pest at the moment. Seen loads I sitisting on jogging on the pavement forcing parents with prams to go into the road. Ffs .. your PB round peckham rye park can wait until next year surely . There are some people that are and will always remain dickheads I'm afraid

Talking to my neighbours on CP Road, keeping our distance on opposite sides of pavement (I'm stood at kerb, neighbour behind front gate).

A couple, running, just jog through between us.

Gobsmacked wouldn't even start to explain my surprise !

WTF

If I see these guys tomorrow there'll be another thread.

I'm running at the moment and am whereever possible trying to get into the road when I see people ahead of me. When runners or pedestrians get to close, despite my efforts, I stick my arms out to build space to force them away from me. works a treat!

To the filthy jogger who ran past me on Crystal Palace Road at 10.15 this morning, and gobbed on the pavement, I hope you're proud of yourself. Dispicable to be spitting in the street at this time. Wearing a black top and purple bottoms. I so wish I had time to take a photo of you. Moron.

jimlad48 Wrote:

> I'm running at the moment and am whereever

> possible trying to get into the road when I see

> people ahead of me. When runners or pedestrians

> get to close, despite my efforts, I stick my arms

> out to build space to force them away from me.

> works a treat!

Some people (for various reasons hat may not be their fault) seem to have difficulty with judging distance and movement. The sort who bump into people walking along on a normal day.

When that happens when you drive you sort of give them a wide berth if you can.

KidKruger Wrote:

> Talking to my neighbours on CP Road, keeping our

> distance on opposite sides of pavement (I'm stood

> at kerb, neighbour behind front gate).

> A couple, running, just jog through between us.

> Gobsmacked wouldn't even start to explain my

> surprise !

> WTF

> If I see these guys tomorrow there'll be another

> thread.

@kidkruger Can I ask where you thought they should go, given that you were taking up the whole pavement? I?ve been running several times a week, as I always have done. I try my absolute best to keep 2+ metre distance by going onto grass, into road, etc, but when you?re next to a busy road this is quite difficult. I have found that walkers seem to feel they have more claim to the pavement than joggers. We ALL need to keep a distance - it?s not up to one group only. As a previous poster mentioned, it would be helpful if walkers/those on the pavement also made an effort to move also!

faye - your answer even explains what the problem is. The jogger determined not to stop, with an entitlement to keep up momentum.

The answer:

1. STOP ! And then negotiate if necessary to maintain distance.

2. GO AROUND ! On street if necessary, there was virtually no traffic - hence my amazement because the joggers had no excuse. "The roads are busy" ?? Of all times since the war that's a very badly timed comment !

Remember, I could have been stood ON the kerb - thereby keeping distance still from my neighbour, however you look at it, until the joggers breezed through we were people successfully keeping distance.

"I have found that walkers seem to feel they have more claim to the pavement than joggers" - based on what ?!

Actually, this is making me chuckle..

Everyone on here, is there really a debate to be had over whether pedestrians on pavements have more right to be there than runners ?

As I've said previously, runners are in control of these situations, they are faster, more mobile, know what their plan is (unless you seriously think they don't know where their legs are taking them), want to keep up momentum, don't want to stop. So I think the onus on them, given their dominance of the situation, to make sure each encounter ends well and the walker is not compromised (on a fecking PAVEMENT) !

I'm not against runners, I have a decent history myself, ahem:

Half Marathon 1:21

20 Mile 2:01

10 Mile 0:55

As a previous poster mentioned, it would be helpful if walkers/those on the pavement also made an effort to move also!

People who are running are, by definition, likely to be fit and relatively agile. Some people who are walking are not. They may be elderly (around me they may also be blind or partially sighted, as there is a home for such locally) - they may also find it difficult to make sudden or extreme movements. They are walkers, walking on pavements. But they still need, indeed you could argue they may be in more need, of exercise at a time when normal 'just walking about, shopping etc.' isn't such an option. We pavement walkers try to keep a distance from everyone, including even those we are walking with (walking in single file to present a narrower front). Runners pounding down the middle of suburban pavements (and some certainly do) are a selfish menace.

To be fair, they do. Joggers can go to parks and easily avoid people. I'm finding the majority are being good about giving people a wide berth though, it's the ignorant minority that are the problem. Walkers aren't immune to this either by the way. We should all be making every effort to sustain the 2 metre rule.

fayebarrett Wrote:

>I have found that walkers

> seem to feel they have more claim to the pavement

> than joggers.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> As a previous poster mentioned, it would be

> helpful if walkers/those on the pavement also made

> an effort to move also!

>

> People who are running are, by definition, likely

> to be fit and relatively agile. Some people who

> are walking are not. They may be elderly (around

> me they may also be blind or partially sighted, as

> there is a home for such locally) - they may also

> find it difficult to make sudden or extreme

> movements. They are walkers, walking on pavements.

> But they still need, indeed you could argue they

> may be in more need, of exercise at a time when

> normal 'just walking about, shopping etc.' isn't

> such an option. We pavement walkers try to keep a

> distance from everyone, including even those we

> are walking with (walking in single file to

> present a narrower front). Runners pounding down

> the middle of suburban pavements (and some

> certainly do) are a selfish menace.

This whole situation just further highlights the ridiculous way we have apportioned public space. Pavements far too narrow (often halved in size again by drop kerbs). So much of the public realm given over for car use. We need to rebalance towards cycle and pedestrian infrastructure.

Anyway, agree about the jogging thing. people running past really close breathing heavily in the park yesterday. Also saw one guy spitting as he ran. Awful.

fayebarrett Wrote:

> KidKruger Wrote:

> -----

> > Talking to my neighbours on CP Road, keeping

> our

> > distance on opposite sides of pavement (I'm

> stood

> > at kerb, neighbour behind front gate).

> > A couple, running, just jog through between us.

> > Gobsmacked wouldn't even start to explain my

> > surprise !

> > WTF

> > If I see these guys tomorrow there'll be

> another

> > thread.

>

> @kidkruger Can I ask where you thought they should

> go, given that you were taking up the whole

> pavement? I?ve been running several times a week,

> as I always have done. I try my absolute best to

> keep 2+ metre distance by going onto grass, into

> road, etc, but when you?re next to a busy road

> this is quite difficult. I have found that walkers

> seem to feel they have more claim to the pavement

> than joggers. We ALL need to keep a distance -

> it?s not up to one group only. As a previous

> poster mentioned, it would be helpful if

> walkers/those on the pavement also made an effort

> to move also!

There is no reason for you to be running on the pavements where other people are. People need to walk on the pavements to get to shops. if you have to run go to the parks we have plenty.

mako Wrote:

> fayebarrett Wrote:

> -----

> > KidKruger Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Talking to my neighbours on CP Road, keeping

> > our

> > > distance on opposite sides of pavement (I'm

> > stood

> > > at kerb, neighbour behind front gate).

> > > A couple, running, just jog through between

> us.

> > > Gobsmacked wouldn't even start to explain my

> > > surprise !

> > > WTF

> > > If I see these guys tomorrow there'll be

> > another

> > > thread.

> >

> > @kidkruger Can I ask where you thought they

> should

> > go, given that you were taking up the whole

> > pavement? I?ve been running several times a

> week,

> > as I always have done. I try my absolute best

> to

> > keep 2+ metre distance by going onto grass,

> into

> > road, etc, but when you?re next to a busy road

> > this is quite difficult. I have found that

> walkers

> > seem to feel they have more claim to the

> pavement

> > than joggers. We ALL need to keep a distance -

> > it?s not up to one group only. As a previous

> > poster mentioned, it would be helpful if

> > walkers/those on the pavement also made an

> effort

> > to move also!

>

> There is no reason for you to be running on the

> pavements where other people are. People need to

> walk on the pavements to get to shops. if you have

> to run go to the parks we have plenty.

Mako, you should contact the government to get them to update their advice for exercise, to state 'no running on pavements'!

Due to the selfishness and or stupidity of large chunks of society you are right that the government needs to give clearer advice that needs to be much more restrictive than iot currently is if it wants as few infections as possible.

I can see from your dozen or so posts in the last couple of days that you feel strongly about this, Mako. And undoubtedly joggers who loom up on people unexpectedly are idiots. But on my run today I saw other runners keeping a respectful distance and there was plenty of room for everyone. (And yes, I ran in the road most of the way to Peckham Rye and then ran on the grass once there to keep a safe distance from passers-by on the path.) So we're not all dangerous idiots and I strongly disagree with some of the people on this thread who seem to be calling for all runners to stay at home.

Staying fit is one of the key ways to reduce your risk of ending up in intensive care with coronavirus (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52076856) and the benefits of running to your mental health are well known. Also the risk of catching coronavirus from someone whizzing past you at speed is 'extremely small', according to experts. Interesting article here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/23/coronavirus-outdoor-etiquette-no-spitting-and-keep-your-distance

Of course there are some runners who are not careful and they should be called out but please do not tar us all with the same brush!