Joggers, not keeping a asfe distance

firth

What about people walking really, really fast? Like speed walking?!

Were they built for a particular speed of moving along by foot only?!

Folk just need to be considerate, whatever speed

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "..where it is stipulated that a pavement has been

> constructed for use at a particular speed or

> gait"

> Well when the pavements around here were built it

> was for people to walk on, surely.

> And the roads were built for horse and carts.

I don't think this is true. Definitely not 90%. I agree many don't make any effort, which is wrong, of course. Everyone should be making an effort but sadly they don't.

The problem with the joggers who don't do it is that they're huffing and puffing. On my dog walk today, one woman ran past me, from behind, very close and started coughing immediately after she'd passed, so I had to walk in to whatever she had coughed up, trying to avoid the slipstream. Revolting.

I think there's a certain arrogance that some (not all) joggers have, where they believe they are better because they are "fitter" (though let's not talk ab out what it does to people's hips/knees over time.) They're the pits.

siousxiesue Wrote:

> 'But the reality is that 90% of other pavement

> users (walkers, runners, dog-walkers) just do not

> reciprocate this in any way whatsoever... not even

> moving 1ft towards the inside of the pavement.

> Some even continuing to walk side-by-side.'

>

> I've noticed this most of all. Couples refuse to

> go single file, even though I have moved to the

> road, we still don't have 6 feet between us.

> Completely oblivious.

binkylilyput Wrote:

> I'm not a jogger personally but I'd love to know

> where you got your information about where it is

> stipulated that a pavement has been constructed

> for use at a particular speed or gait?! Who said a

> pavement is intended for walking not running? It's

> known as a footpath, not a walk path!

>

> lindylou Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So, why can't you run in a park. Why use

> pavements

> > knowing full well that people walking on them

> > (which is what they're intended for, by the way

> -

> > walking, not jogging), can't get out of your

> way.

> > You sound selfish to the extreme. I think

> you'll

> > find it's joggers like yourself who are the

> > problem. Pavements are not there solely for

> > joggers to use.

Yes a footpath, look the meaning up please. Not a racetrack for joggers.

Absolutely.

But someone asked what the pavements were built for...

binkylilyput Wrote:

> What about people walking really, really fast?

> Like speed walking?!

> Were they built for a particular speed of moving

> along by foot only?!

>

> Folk just need to be considerate, whatever speed

>

> KidKruger Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > "..where it is stipulated that a pavement has

> been

> > constructed for use at a particular speed or

> > gait"

> > Well when the pavements around here were built

> it

> > was for people to walk on, surely.

> > And the roads were built for horse and carts.

siousxiesue Wrote:

> 'But the reality is that 90% of other pavement

> users (walkers, runners, dog-walkers) just do not

> reciprocate this in any way whatsoever... not even

> moving 1ft towards the inside of the pavement.

> Some even continuing to walk side-by-side.'

>

> I've noticed this most of all. Couples refuse to

> go single file, even though I have moved to the

> road, we still don't have 6 feet between us.

> Completely oblivious.

Yup agree re; couples not having the decency to go single file And today a stupid family were walking 4 abreast down the pavement alongside Dulwich park on the south circular-I had to leap off the pavement and leap (I use the term figuratively I'm 60 and dont really leap these days its more of a swift side-step)back quickly as a juggernaut hurtled towards me. I mean really? 4 abreast? The kids were about 8 and 13 so not tots who needed to walk next to mum and dad.

and oh yeah..thanks too to the jogger who hurtling towards me down the same narrow bit of pavement saw me step off into the road when it became obvious he wasn't going to do so then turned around laughed and shouted "boo!".

Oh and the couple jogging side by side who never went single file either and gave me a look when I shouted at them

This situation (the pandemic) brings out the best in some people and in others ..well we see how self absorbed ignorant and and selfish they really are.

Jogging has to be stopped on pavements. This is obscene. If you want to exercise, go and jog/run on a track with others doing the same thing. Alleyns, DC, JAGs all have tracks, petition to use them. Infect away! Since you are so healthy, you can take the hit. Not true of the elderly, disabled, immune compromised in your community. The utter selfishness of people on here and outside running and jogging right by people is disgraceful. Did you clap today and run outside. Then guess what you are a hypocrite. Have had it with this nonsense. This thing is airborne and if your don?t get that by now, God help your running shorts clad ass.

This isn?t hard folks. Stay inside, get your exercise inside and walk outdoors for fresh air and to see other humans. Any kind of vigorous exercise where others may get infected is irresponsible behaviour.

Wear a mask, teach your kids some basic manners & social distancing protocol, don?t do vigorous exercise, and dog walkers take pooch around your neighbourhood rather than the parks. Fido doesn?t give a shit, where he shits. You just need to be seen somewhere for your ego and that is the reality of most dog owners taking their dogs for their ?long? walks or just making the calls/visit to their paramours on the side. 😉

I want to add to this general list of inconsiderate people. Today I took my kids to the park early to avoid the crowds, and there was the usual packs of dogs off their leads charging about while the owners stood about chatting (nowhere near 2m apart). One black dog charged up to my daughter and took my sons Man City football off her (left her in tears - and it was his pride & joy) and then bust the ball. The owner just abled after the dog, who proceeded to run all over the Rye and eventually dumped the ball in the river by the play park. I admit to colliding the owner a prick, which wasn't my finest moment.. However, get your %$%?ing dogs under control. The council guidelines are clear. All dogs must be under control. This means trained and responsive to commands, or on a leash. It's simple. I have requested police start to patrol the parks in the mornings as dog walkers are not behaving responsibly to the wider population.

Rant over.

I find the most upsetting thing is the amount of surgical gloves left on pavements and now I am starting seeing surgical masks. It means that people care enough about their health to wear these things, but couldn't care less about other peoples health. I think it is disgraceful and if anyone were to be seen doing it they should be fined/arrested whatever.

I'm sorry TJ that this happened to your kids. Sadly similar behavior is the norm for dog owners/walkers in Dulwich Park. My LO refuses to go to the park because of similiar incidents over the years. It is traumatic and stays with kids for a long time. I don't understand why parks don't have doggie park areas which are fenced off away from the general areas.most civilized countries do this or ban dogs from parks specifically to prevent this kind of incident. Perhaps because there is no Rabies here gives people a false sense of security in thinking it is ok to let dogs off leads. There are however numerous incidents of dog attacks of children. A dog, no matter how well trained or placid is an animal and can cause injury if threatened or agitated. Not the dog's fault, fault the owner and report them to police.

TJ Wrote:

> I want to add to this general list of

> inconsiderate people. Today I took my kids to the

> park early to avoid the crowds, and there was the

> usual packs of dogs off their leads charging about

> while the owners stood about chatting (nowhere

> near 2m apart). One black dog charged up to my

> daughter and took my sons Man City football off

> her (left her in tears - and it was his pride &

> joy) and then bust the ball. The owner just abled

> after the dog, who proceeded to run all over the

> Rye and eventually dumped the ball in the river by

> the play park. I admit to colliding the owner a

> prick, which wasn't my finest moment.. However,

> get your %$%?ing dogs under control. The council

> guidelines are clear. All dogs must be under

> control. This means trained and responsive to

> commands, or on a leash. It's simple. I have

> requested police start to patrol the parks in the

> mornings as dog walkers are not behaving

> responsibly to the wider population.

> Rant over.

• 2 weeks later...

JEEEESS - will everybody just calm down a little.

Some people want to walk with their kids or their dogs, some people want to run. We're all stressed out by this and all finding our own ways of dealing with it within our 1 hour exercise window

Please - lets stop looking to blame certain categories of people. Can EVERYBODY please be mindful and understanding of others a little more

Yes - some runners are inconsiderate by trying to squeeze past people - most aren't

Yes - some walkers are inconsiderate by walking 2/3 abreast when they know there's lots of runners about - most aren't

Lets all be a little bit more considerate of each other: runners try to give people a nice wide berth. Walkers, lets not dominate the pavement and act surprised when somebody running approaches

Yes, please stop blaming those people who come too close and endanger your and your family?s / household?s safety.

They might kill you, but hey, we?ve all gotta show a little flexibility.

Just calm down and chill, right ?

? There are however numerous incidents of dog attacks of children. A dog, no matter how well trained or placid is an animal and can cause injury if threatened or agitated. Not the dog's fault, fault the owner and report them to police.?

What?s the point of this hysterical comment ?!

Why cant joggers keep to the park, on the grass

last night , we go out late as to avoid others as we are in the elderley bracket.

female jogger top of Ivydale cheltenham junction, forced us two out in the road to avoid.

I dont mind walking in the road, dont bother me, but she came at us so fast, we actually were more worried meeting her

and we never really checked the road

• 3 weeks later...

Alan Medic Wrote:

> I've seen a German cartoon and a NY Times article

> which suggests that much more than 2 meters

> distance is likely to be necessary to be safe in

> the vicinity of joggers. The following is behind a

> wall but you can read the start of it, which

> explains the thinking.

>

>

> https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/15/well/move/runni

> ng-social-distancing.html

Can someone please flypast this article around all our parks and pavements please..I've had it with Joggers oblivious to social distancing..NOT all BUT a large enough number to have made me avoid walking on the Rye and roads alongside

• 4 months later...
Yep they are focused on their PB, I've occasionally come across similar on the footbridge in the park near Ladywell, but most don't bother me. I'm just surprised that the demographic posting on this site aren't often joggers and post alternative views on this thread.