Dawson Hill (noise control)

alice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> These are just photos of young people.

Read on facebook-Theres are young people who Graffitti'd someone's home.

These are young people who intimidate local residents

These are young people who hang out until 5am creating noise and litter.

One of the young people drove his moped at an 8months pregnant woman driving her off the path.

These young people are making residents lives a misery.

Hi Mary - the police seems quite active on the topic on the Nextdoor app, if this helps. Have you informed local councillors? I would even copy in your local MP.

Also I really wouldn?t help picking up the rubbish to help the council, like a poster mentioned. You need to make it Southwark?s problem.

Mary123, is there a way to bring people together who are feeling the same way so that you can discuss a co-ordinated approach. There must be other residents feeling the same way who would take comfort from not feeling alone and want to be part of the solution.

Hi Monkey, never heard of the Next door app, is this social media..is there mention of Dawson's Hill on there, how is next door used?Maggie Browning M.P has been very supportive and has been emailing Police and Southwark Council, a local resident, man with a greyhound dog apparently goes to the hill 6/7am to pick up the rubbish??

Yes Police, MP, Southwark Council, Parks Team, Noise Team have all been contacted by numerous people, noise and ASB team are not operating a response service because of Covid, M.P is very supportive and has been emailing, Zero response from Southwark and Parks team..

May be the MP could put pressure on noise team to re-open. There must be some level of service they could offer whilst complying with covid guidelines. Sounds like they could hang out at Dawsons Heights most nights which is open air!

Mary, go to the App Store and download Nextdoor.you?ll be asked to enter your postcode. You?ll then see the ED police team posting about Dawson?s Hill. You can then update them on the situation in a public way which should put some pressure on getting the problem sorted.

Hello Mary, I have stumbled across this tirade, you are clearly very upset with this disturbance. Rather than posting these voyeuristic photos of underage children do you not think a simple conversation with these youths could be more productive than attempting to post their names and wasting police time which could be more effectively allocated to actual crimes?

-Karen

Police have attended once and advised the persons involved to keep the noise down. As others have suggested, what are children doing out in the early hours littering, making noise and keeping people awake? Where are their parents? The photos are hardly voyeuristic.

Karen312 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hello Mary, I have stumbled across this tirade,

> you are clearly very upset with this disturbance.

> Rather than posting these voyeuristic photos of

> underage children do you not think a simple

> conversation with these youths could be more

> productive than attempting to post their names and

> wasting police time which could be more

> effectively allocated to actual crimes?

>

> -Karen

This thread really saddens me.

I have heard from some people that there are parents actually dropping their teenage children to Dawson's Hill to hang out and spend their evenings/ nights there. It is beyond belief. These are teenagers from very privileged backgrounds who are more or less being given permission from their parents to go and trash up local green space. They are not teaching their children to have any respect for other people and the places where other members of the community live.

These parents would be straight on the phone to the police if big groups started hanging round outside their properties, making noise through the night and leaving litter behind. It is so bad.

I am not sure how much the police can do but the parents need to take responsibility and stop letting their kids go up there.

I've got 2 sons aged 15 and 13 and there is no way I would let them go up there to hang around at night.

I'm fully aware that teenagers are missing their friends etc but the fact is we just have to get on with it. Most people have broken the rules in some shape or form but this is just taking the piss.

Although I think the kids are acting really selfishly I'm more cross about the parents who are letting their kids go up and make life more than difficult for the residents - it really is not fair.

I cleared up about 50 bits of litter (empty cans and bottles, sweet and crisp packets) before 8 this morning. A couple in their sixties were there. I asked whether they came often in the morning, but he said no. I said it was frustrating to see the litter, and he blamed the weather, saying when it?s wet there?s no litter. I corrected him, explaining that it?s people who litter, not the sunshine or the wind. He them said ?I?m from X ? you should see what it?s like there,? to which I commented ?it?s not a race to the bottom?. They strolled off. If that?s the attitude of genteel south east Londoners, we?re in for filthy times.

PS I did not pick up any of the 25+ helium canisters. I did email Cllr. Maggie Browning.

I can guarantee that any conversation with these youngsters would not end well. If they are behaving as reported (threatening a pregnant lady etc). The pictures are not voyeuristic - this strikes me as someone at the end of their tether trying to workout how to deal with a bunch of youngsters behaving badly And disturbing Their neighbourhood. If they are mucking about in the early hours then that is just not on. Not interested in their backgrounds - the little blighters should be home in bed. If they are asleep at dawn then ideally the police should scoop them up and their parents collect them from the station with a bit of a lecture. Right now tho not likely to happen.

I really don't understand the 'teenagers will be teenagers' kind of attitude. These situations cause huge distress and poor mental health for those impacted- it's a serious problem which the authorities need to deal with. Trying to belittle Mary's feelings is not not helpful or kind.

Nigello, Thank you for picking things up this morning and thank you for contacting the councillor. I enjoy walking through there in the mornings but some days now I enter with dread about how bad it is going to look. I pick up random bits on my way home but dont like to pick up on the way out if I am going to the shop to buy food and dont have gloves.

Totally right about people not weather creating litter, but it seems like a lot of people have their own special narratives about litter to cope with living among selfish people.

Yesterday morning I was surprised to see it all cleared (as I thought the bins got emptied Wednesdays on the hill). Today there was a lot of rubbish piled up around the bin. I am never sure when I see it piled up around the bin whether the users of the hill have done this or someone conscientious has come along afterwards to clear up. The Council needs to clear those bins more frequently (all the bins in all the parks) because people are using the parks so much these days due to reduced options and I don't hold out hope of people taking their litter home. And yes, I know I need to write to my councillor about that. But if they are reading this, that would also be great.

As for the noise. The meeting of Overhill Road, Dawsons Heights and Dawsons Hill are becoming party central at night. Last night I slept with wax ear plugs so I could keep the windows open and not be disturbed.