GCSE Results 2012 for Lewisham & Southwark

BB100

I don't usually post, but the last post is misleading.

I have just checked and details of the governing bodies at Elmgreen, Dunraven and Sydenham are all on their websites and easy to find (under "About us" "Governing Body" or similar). Those were the first three I checked.

I found lists of Governors on Harris Girls (theres a 'Meet our Governors' page under the 'About' tag) & Evelyn Grace - they were the only two I looked for.

One's a 'Harris' school, the other an 'Ark' one - which I mention as both Harris & Ark are comparatively big organisations with very up-to-date website services shared by all their schools.

Other schools websites are a bit hit & miss in terms of user-friendliness & being kept up to date - I really don't think there's much to read into that. It was always perfectly possible to contact school governors (via the school but confidentially from the school if needed) before school websites were common.

Debi, I've had a quick search too and pls see below all the links. Pls do not accuse me of making things up. I'm afraid at least locally it is an issue more or less specific to Kingsdale. Any light you can shed on the whereabouts of the Kingsdale list of governors would be most welcome.

Well, now this is interesting. I've had a quick online check of the schools mentioned by Prickle and may have missed something but this is what I found when looking for a list of governors. I'm bowing out now as I don't think this is an issue specific to Kingsdale and I'm too busy to spenbd any more time on this.

Harris Girls, can't find http://www.harrisdulwichgirls.org.uk/34/meet-our-governors

Haberdashers, can't find http://www.haaf.org.uk/index.php?/about/fed-governers/

Bacon's, chair of govs only - contact via school http://www.baconsctc.co.uk/the-school/govs-and-trustees.aspx

Charter, full list http://www.charter.southwark.sch.uk/page/?title=The+Governing+Body&pid=293

Dunraven, can't find http://www.dunraven.org.uk/page/?title=Who%27s+who&pid=47

Elm Green, can't find http://www.the-elmgreen-school.org.uk/governing-body

Walworth, can't find http://www.walworthacademy.org/governors

Sydenham School can't find http://www.sydenham.lewisham.sch.uk/governors

Seems to me the Channel 4 programme was more interesting for what it wasn't allowed to say rather than what was. It is obvious there is more to come, Tessa Jowell chose her words very carefully. It turned from a report on the cheating allegations to one about how academies are run, and so the two messages were blurred in to one another. I feel sorry for all the current and affected students, they are not tainted by the allegations, it is a few people there on the staff who have questions to answer and it would be so much better to hear Mr Morrison giving a proper statement on it all instead of hiding away. The Open Days are awkward with this kind of historic allegation not being addressed.

Well I have had more time this afternoon to read through this thread, and although I was attracted to it because of the title, it develops in to the subject I am interested in, for my daughter. I have Harris Girls, (going tomorrow) Kingsdale, (going on Saturday) and Charter School (going next week) to have a look at for her, and because I saw that Channel 4 report last week I realised that we need know a bit more than just the usual stuff you are offered on these Open days. I know families who have children at the Charter, but not the other two schools. The former pupil from Kingsdale who was interviewed had no reason to lie about her experiences with the school, so why hasn't she been interviewed? It can't be brushed under the carpet because that really does taint the experience of children and staff trying their best.

This business of cheating does need to be cleared up. I don't see why it is swiped away by the authorities at the school without an answer for parents and prospective parents. Would I want my child to go to a school where there is about to be an authenticated uncovering of cheating during exams, with all the disruption that would bring to the staff room? No. Simplest thing is to bring it all out in to the open, surely. In truth it may well be where my daughter ends up, so I want to know.

I saw that Kingsdale is not giving out results from this summer - why is that? Any of the exams being re-marked wouldn't add up to much in percentage terms so it makes me think they have something to hide. That is precisely why they should open up. Then at least at this school we wouldn't be wondering what is going on. Every other school gives their results, whether there are re-marking papers going on or not.

This thread developed in to something about Governors, and I want to know when I go to a school that teachers and parents alike can have proper access to governors' support without this being held against them if it is a problem a parent has with a teacher, or a teacher has with a fellow member of senior staff. Why don't the Kingsdale governors come forward and make a statement about it all? Isn't that what they are there for? And that is why you should be able to see who the governors are on the school websites, so that you can know who they are and have faith they will GOVERN!!

Hi Pondlife,

I suppose we can speculate all we like but sometimes we have to accept that organisations are obligated to keep quiet until things are resolved or fully investigated. I would suggest the best way forward is to, do as you suggest and, visit the schools for yourself and ask those probing questions for yourself. If you are not satisfied with the answers you can simply walk away and choose other schools.

Choosing schools is a stressful time enough so getting involved in the speculative politics of Kingsdale is not going to help. Nothing has been proven (or disproved) so it would be better if you asked the ch at the school when you visit what they think of their school and what their experiences are. If you get chatting and ask the right questions they will open up and tell you what it is really like to go to school there. All the children I know that go there absolutely love it and say their teachers can't help them enough.

I was just about to say what great advice BB100 had given to Pondlife & then another rather trivial post;

To any prospective parent , choosing a school is stressful , all our kids are unique in their own ways and will strive in different environments.

Kingsdale is clearly a school that evokes emotions , total marmite , clearly loved by some ( mostly parents of happy thriving kids - my son included ) hated by those who think the school is a cult , an enigma that survives on pure fantasy.

This is a school with a huge number of kids , a school that has been under the spotlight , been in the press , had OFSTED & exam boards all over them this last academic year ( my son's first yr ) yet the show goes on. My boy has in no way been affected by this as the head & teachers are all (in my view )committed to the school & it's welfare.

As said before i am a teacher and work in a FE very highly credited institution , we lost 40 % of our staff over the summer , not because we are rotten as an institution but that simply the job isn't what we they signed up for.

Re going public , as said by BB100 hands are tied by legal stuff.

Anyone visiting as a prospective parent , just ask the kids & feel the love. It is truley a school that is about the kids , they rock & as a parent that ticks many boxes.

Well said Debster99. And I hate to emphasise this but there is actually very little 'choice' in this process. We got our 3rd choice last year. Not a school we would have chosen for our child but we are absolutely committed now to make it absolutely work for him. The schools ability to respond and cater for child is key. If state education is your only option then committing to making them a well rounded, well read person is our job. All the best to everyone going through it this year. I had at least two months of sleepless nights this time year and as far as the school my son got I'm still undecided but I'm committed to making his education work for him.

• 6 months later...
Durand is a primary, in Lambeth. I have heard from local parents that the Head is very determined, but does well by the kind of children allowed to underachieve in the past or at other schools. Bound to be a bit Marmite. And all teachers these days suffer under Govian pressures, league tables, contracts undermined by Academiy employment, etc etc.

• 5 months later...

I went to the open day at Kingsdale this week. I have two daughters who will be entering secondary education next year in 2014. There were many aspects of the school I liked but I also have some reservations. I would be very interested in hearing the views of other parents who have children at Kingsdale. What particularly worries me is there GCSEs results for 2012 - which was something like 38% for A-Cs. One of the worst results in Southwark. This year (2013) it's much better - according to their own website. Something in the region of 64%. A massive jump. I just find it hard to understand how a school can achieve such wildly different results. Any views/comments would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

I went to the open day at Kingsdale this week. I have two daughters who will be entering secondary education next year in 2014. There were many aspects of the school I liked but I also have some reservations. I would be very interested in hearing the views of other parents who have children at Kingsdale. What particularly worries me is there GCSEs results for 2012 - which was something like 38% for A-Cs. One of the worst results in Southwark. This year (2013) it's much better - according to their own website. Something in the region of 64%. A massive jump. I just find it hard to understand how a school can achieve such wildly different results. Any views/comments would be much appreciated.