Royal Mail delivery

Perhaps our councillors might want to give us an update on what is going on and when it is going to be resolved. We got more post posted this week but nothing from the masses of missing post from December.

I think it is laughable that we received a leaflet from our councillors asking for our experiences: they have been trying to resolve this for 3 years, why leaflet everyone - you know what the problems are.

Maybe because it isn't constant - there have been postal issues throughout 3 years. They peak around Christmas but also exist at other times. However, there are clearly efforts being made to sort out the backlog and I suspect this is being talked up by Royal Mail. I'd imagine the survey is to understand whether this has made any difference at all locally? From a personal perspective I'm still waiting for mail from mid December so that would be a 'no'.

To add to my previous post, it was a mix of post from December including Christmas cards, plus post sent this week.

The fact they're using other staff here today shows they're at least trying, but clearly the privatised Royal Mail who sold off our sorting office and then shifted everyone to Peckham still isn't working.

Yes it would be nice if we saw some definitive action from our councillors and MP - they have been window-dressing and photo-opping this for too long now and we are suffering.

Back in June Helen Hayes seemed to concede defeat by suggesting, that after meetings with Royal Mail and Ofcom, only stronger regulation would fix the problem:

https://www.helenhayes.org.uk/royal_mail_0621

Which makes me think the flyer is more an effort to be seen to try to do something rather than actually doing something and the last time we got a flyer it was about saving the Dulwich Village ATM and that turned into a Private Eye worthy photo op disaster for our local councillors......

It's not just here were sorting offices that serve two postcodes have had a dire service. Forest Hill and Sydenham have had the same issues as us. Covid outbreak in the sorting office and the postal service goes out the window, prioritising Covid tests while leaving general mail stuck in the sorting office or at Croydon Mail Centre.

In general, the issues with post are generally affecting those sorting offices that serve two postcodes.

I've had no deliveries at all this week - neither I think has anyone on my walk. If a postie is away then he/ she is not covered any longer. This shambles much pre-dates Covid, but of course is exacerbated by it. When the Sylvester Road DO was closed a number of staff did not transfer/ did not want to transfer to Peckham. The local management clearly thought they could get away with employing fewer staff and failed to recruit back to establishment. Once Covid did strike- and so many staff were either ill or isolating - they had no chance of offering an effective service. And made little attempt to try.

I have found no post-people (actually walking the streets) to be anything other than helpful - but they have been hard-worked and are not responsible for sorting out the management's mess. I note from FB that the local labour party is trying to get into the act - running some sort of poll (don't trust it, based on their past 'polling' record)- probably an attempt to refocus local ire away from LTNs.

The key thing is to separate the Covid-woes (which Royal Mail will pray-in-aid as much as they can) from the problems which pre-date it and are simply made worse by it. This is a management cock-up (probably at local level) but it means the Royal Mail locally is failing (and has been failing) its QOS requirements. Its failure to meet its Universal Service Obligation locally has been longstanding and egregious. This is an issue for local councillors and our MP to take-up with the regulator. Routes for remedy with the Royal Mail itself have resulted in some partial action (normally to find and deliver post in the name of a formal complainant, as in my case a year or so ago) but no long-term remedies have been put into place, nor is there any evidence of attempts to do so.

You should be fine if you explain what happened with the post via Royal Mail.

The fine was sent via a service unable to deliver to the intended recipient address, within reasonable timeframes.

I?ve used the link to this thread as reason for not attending to my end of legal matters when facing a fine.

Betty22 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I received a penalty charge notice in the post

> today pertaining to a box junction offence on 17th

> December. The delayed post meant I had no

> opportunity to pay within the time limit for

> halving the fine . So frustrating !

This happened to us last week - call them and they?ll sort it out so you can still pay half the fine.

I received a huge pile of post today, including Christmas cards that were posted as early as 6th December. All in all, probably over ?10 in postage wasted due to Royal Mail's slow service, not to mention the cost of the cards and the time and effort that went into sending them. I wonder how many ?millions this translates to across the country.

"All in all, probably over ?10 in postage wasted due to Royal Mail's slow service"

At least you got them eventually.

embracefinancial Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I received a huge pile of post today, including

> Christmas cards that were posted as early as 6th

> December. All in all, probably over ?10 in postage

> wasted due to Royal Mail's slow service, not to

> mention the cost of the cards and the time and

> effort that went into sending them. I wonder how

> many ?millions this translates to across the

> country.

Email from Royal Mail this morning.

We're sorry to advise that you may experience further disruption to deliveries in parts of the SE22 postcode area due to resourcing issues at the East Dulwich Delivery Office.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

We'll be back in touch to let you know when resourcing issues have improved.

After spending weeks and weeks trying to source a part for a hoover I found it and placed an order with the company who made the mistake of using Royal Mail to delivery it.

After waiting all most 10 Days for the part to be delivered it has not arrived. All I get from the supplier is we gave it to RM for delivery.RM says it was despatched the next day.

After speaking with the postman he said unless it was "tracked" you might as well forget expecting to to arrive. Priority is tracked parcels. The rest?

After speaking to the supplier they say this part is now out of stock and they have no idea when new ones will be available if ever. I now have a hoover that for all intents is junk and will have to be scrapped.

I will have to buy a new hoover.