Royal Mail delivery

It's abundantly clear that this issue is related to the closure of Sylvester Road.

Two examples

A couple of weeks ago I had to post a letter to someone in Essex, I decided to post it in Kent with a second class stamp at 4pm on a Monday - I'd have been happy for it to arrive that week, it actually arrived on the Wednesday morning. I wonder how long it would have taken if I'd posted it in SE22.

And to highlight that in my experience this wasn't previously a problem - a couple of years ago I had to fly back from Glasgow the next day and realised that i had a penknife that they might not let me take on the plane, so I posted it in a suburban post box just in time to get the last collection and by the time i got home the following lunchtime it had already been delivered.

I'm sure we could fill this thread with examples of how bad RM is in SE22 now and how reliable it used to be. In fact I think we already have

Alec1 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> yes Sue, all read. I just think that 'bashing' the

> people that actually deliver our post isn't the

> right step. Higher up, yes.

>

Who on here has blamed the people delivering the post?

Everybody has expressed sympathy with the posties as far as I can see!

It is quite clearly management who is to blame, at various levels.

sandyman Wrote:

> It's abundantly clear that this issue is related

> to the closure of Sylvester Road.

>

> Two examples

>

> A couple of weeks ago I had to post a letter to

> someone in Essex, I decided to post it in Kent

> with a second class stamp at 4pm on a Monday - I'd

> have been happy for it to arrive that week, it

> actually arrived on the Wednesday morning. I

> wonder how long it would have taken if I'd posted

> it in SE22.

>

> And to highlight that in my experience this wasn't

> previously a problem - a couple of years ago I had

> to fly back from Glasgow the next day and realised

> that i had a penknife that they might not let me

> take on the plane, so I posted it in a suburban

> post box just in time to get the last collection

> and by the time i got home the following lunchtime

> it had already been delivered.

>

> I'm sure we could fill this thread with examples

> of how bad RM is in SE22 now and how reliable it

> used to be. In fact I think we already have

Sandyman, the issues with ED are solely to do with DELIVERY within ED

There are no problems with items POSTED here to be delivered outside the area.

Different offices are involved, as outlined elsewhere in this thread.

Yes, I also had a Sunday delivery of outstanding packages from early December. The bad press finally seems to have spurred them into action, though being on the cynical side of me thinks this is probably a one off rather than a return to something approaching a normal service.

So there we are. If true.

?400m given to shareholders. Not in total. Just last year. Apparently. 😡

This is where Royal Mail's priorities now lie.

I'm guessing the quality of service random checks they used to do across different areas (and published) were at some point quietly dropped 😡

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/markets/article-10455479/Trio-senior-bosses-leave-Royal-Mail-Christmas-woe.html

Yeah, much still to come.

Whilst it looks like regular through the letter-box post has mostly caught up, I'm missing packages sent at the start of December, end of December and early January.

Does anyone know if you can just go down to Peckham sorting office and ask for them to look? Or is the collection service just for recorded / sign-for things?

Ofcom are nonetheless 'on the case', in their own manner."For example, in 2020 we fined Royal Mail ?1.5m for missing its 2018/19 delivery target. We are preparing to review Royal Mail?s performance for the current 2021/22 financial year and, if appropriate, we will not hesitate to take action where necessary." — https://www.ofcom.org.uk/news-centre/2022/update-royal-mail-delivery-delays

On that page there's also a downloadable report on their monitoring.

I wonder how they monitor - I suspect using tracked items as the barometer.

We got a package of Christmas cards from the grandparents to each of our children that took 7 weeks to complete its journey. Interestingly none of the old mail seems to have been franked - does anyone know why that might be (and I think a few others noticed this as well previously)? Or have I just answered my previous question?

Ribrob - I think someone tried to go to the sorting office to collect their missing mail and was told they couldn't as it was all piled high in bags still.

Re monitoring, some years back, they used people who sent and received items to and from different areas.

The items were not recognisable to Royal Mail staff (in theory) and the addresses were hand written.

I did it for a while. I was "paid" in books of first class stamps, and sometimes commemoration packs (not sure what they are called).

I had to record when particular items were sent by me, and when others were received. Some I had to post over the counter and get proof of posting.

I got fed up with it after a while 😀

But I still have loads of first class stamps. Handy for cards 🤣

Just had 3 items delivered 1 sent on the 6th December, the other 2 on the 8th December. Really angry as I emailed RM in early January to ask when they would get around to clearing the backlog as I didn't want the small business I ordered from to have to pay out to replace or refund me if RM were sitting on them and all RM could say, well if they haven't turned up now they're classed as lost. I waited until the 17th Jan before contacting the senders, now going to have to try to sort this out as they've now all refunded me.

I tried that too but lasted less than a week. They wanted me to post stuff from a Post Office counter. Eff that for a game of soldiers.

Sue Wrote:

> Re monitoring, some years back, they used people

> who sent and received items to and from different

> areas.

>

> The items were not recognisable to Royal Mail

> staff (in theory) and the addresses were hand

> written.

>

> I did it for a while. I was "paid" in books of

> first class stamps, and sometimes commemoration

> packs (not sure what they are called).

>

> I had to record when particular items were sent by

> me, and when others were received. Some I had to

> post over the counter and get proof of posting.

>

> I got fed up with it after a while 😀

>

> But I still have loads of first class stamps.

> Handy for cards 🤣