Royal Mail delivery

Masks I ordered took two weeks to get from Southall to SE22, this despite being sent on 48 hour delivery. Another letter was posted on June 18th from New Cross.

It appears some letters are getting priority, such as magazines which are slightly faster than standard mail or packages.

In our household we are still in lock down. Remember over 50% of people with COVID19 are asymptomatic.And judging by a recent shopping trip people are not very careful with others.

Spare a thought for postal workers who have been delivering huge amounts of post for 12 weeks - and some really none essential stuff. They are classified as essential workers.

No pay increase or additional staff. So basically risking their lives to get post out. Still all going into sorting office at same time in morning with little room for SD. And no extra staff even to clean.

Some sorting offices closed for several days due to incidence of COVID. So bear with them. Our postie says its been like Xmas size volumes of post twice over for 3 months now.

Not many jobs where whatever the weather you have to walk for over 3 hours no break.

I have every sympathy with postal workers during the Covid epidemic. But as most people in ED will tell you (and read the threads here) the service was dreadful long before the lockdown.

Of course we will make allowances now, but what went wrong before? And did the postman who left my bank statement out on the porch, and give me mail for the wrong address and give next door my post do this because of Covid? I suspect not.

Lynne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have every sympathy with postal workers during

> the Covid epidemic. But as most people in ED will

> tell you (and read the threads here) the service

> was dreadful long before the lockdown.

> Of course we will make allowances now, but what

> went wrong before? And did the postman who left my

> bank statement out on the porch, and give me mail

> for the wrong address and give next door my post

> do this because of Covid? I suspect not.

That happens- they lean over the fence and drop the post on the doorstep. You should complain or they will carry on. They know who the postie is for your address. Putting your security at risk is unacceptable.

I subscribe to a weekly magazine. The June 13th issue hasn't arrived yet (unsurprisingly nor has 27th June). This isn't just affecting customers, the publishing companies must be getting flak from readers complainting about late delivery, and there will be cancelled subscriptions.

Private Eye arrived on time today. I've had post three days in a row so far.

Talking about magazine subs, Private Eye is now offering a ?9.99 tier for 6 issues since the lockdown, while my PC mags are offering us free access to the digital version to ensure readers have an opportunity to read them on time.

4 days of deliveries so far this week. We may have reached a turning point.

No deliveries at all this week - but 6 last week. It's time for a turning point (I used to get 2-3 items a day delivered, back in the Sylvester Road days!)

Lynne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The post got far far worse after the closure of

> Sylvester Rd. I didn't have many problems before

> then

Me too, and the posties at Sylvester Road Sorting Office knew its closure would put pressure on the service. The posties are working their socks off, but now we are down to just Peckham sorting office, it must be massively overwhelmed, what with staff shortages due to Covid.

My post in SE22 is kind of weekly, and they are clearly trying to prioritise the post - magazines, for example, are at least a week late. Personally, I think they are doing a great job to keep the service running.

axaxi wrote on 8 July at 10:44pm

---------------------------------

> I've received post this week on Wednesday

Where would that have been? Florida, Turkey, Nigeria, ...?

-----

Patience rewarded. My Private Eye's just arrived, eight days late.

We haven't received anything for the last 7 days - guessing our postie is on hols. However, it's meant we've had to cancel a replacement bank card which was sent out 10 days ago, in case it's actually gone missing. The problem is that there's no obvious way to avoid having to do this next time either, assuming it takes as long again.

I spoke to my local postie today. He says seven members of his team are still away from work due to lockdown. He said he tends to deliver letters one day and the increasing number of parce!s the next. He says all his colleagues are working very hard during this difficult time.

Regards

Councillor Charlie Smith

Goose Green Ward Member