Royal Mail delivery

Roky Erickson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My experience is that the post is significantly

> WORSE now than it was during the lockdown, which

> really makes no sense

I was under the impression we were still in lockdown!! I realise I may be in the minority here....

Lynne Wrote:

> The post got far far worse after the closure of

> Sylvester Rd. I didn't have many problems before

> then

Real shame Sylvester Rd. had to go.. :(

Was a great Local Service.

Nothing Ever changes for the better. Wrong people in charge making changes.

Jobs for the Boys.

Foxy

I just get one delivery of 'normal' post a week, now (on Thursday, if you're asking) when a huge batch drops through the letterbox, or, if it's too much, has to be handed in. Royal Mail parcels (not ParcelForce) arrive normally however. I see posties in one street or another most days. I think back-logs have meant that there is now too much post waiting for a postman to carry for a full round, so it gets left over for 'the next day' and so on. So postmen are now doing a particular walk once a week, rather than every day. Hopefully as more come back on again deliveries may return to normal. But it ain't the service people are paying for when they buy their stamps (particularly first class ones!).

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Lynne Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > The post got far far worse after the closure of

> > Sylvester Rd. I didn't have many problems

> before

> > then

>

>

> Real shame Sylvester Rd. had to go.. :(

> Was a great Local Service.

>

> Nothing Ever changes for the better. Wrong people

> in charge making changes.

> Jobs for the Boys.

>

I agree the delivery service is far worse since the office at Sylvester Road closed, but in common with many other businesses I imagine the present problems are mainly due to the virus (staff shortages plus probably different working practices).

Plus possibly poor management at the Peckham office (going on issues mentioned on other threads).

But what do you mean by "jobs for the boys"? I doubt Royal Mail's selection processes have suddenly changed to be unfair.

I agree that postal services in the area have been significantly affected as of late, but given the larger picture of Royal Mail struggling to (a) implement safe working practices for postal workers; (b) dealing with an unprecedented volume of mail, especially parcels - Christmas on steroids; and © dealing with sickness and absences brought about by COVID, especially within our borough where the virus has had a significant impact, I am not surprised of the knock-on effects.

Although the decision to close the Sylvester Road was a poor one for the local community, I doubt that the current situation would be much better if it had remained open, given the size of that office would make it difficult for workers' safety (saying that, the Peckham site, although larger, is probably not much better given the volume of mail right now).

I just don't get this. My parents live on Denmark Hill and throughout the pandemic they have had regular post. Their sorting office is in Camberwell. It covers a wide area. Why is this problem only happening at the Peckham sorting office?

Totally agreed. A friend in North London sent a parcel to me and to a friend in West Norwood last Wednesday (First Class). The parcel was delivered to my friend in Norwood the next day, yet mine is still to arrive nearly a week later.

I'm obviously very aware of all of the atmospheric reasons why Royal Mail might struggle at the moment, but my point is that it seems to be affecting this area far more so than anywhere else.

lindylou Wrote:

> I just don't get this. My parents live on Denmark

> Hill and throughout the pandemic they have had

> regular post. Their sorting office is in

> Camberwell. It covers a wide area. Why is this

> problem only happening at the Peckham sorting

> office?

I'm getting still getting older stuff delivered in reverse, last week had mid may post, still awaiting a few items that were due to arrive early May but Mid may post arrived last week, very recent stuff now whilst a taking a week to get here is roughly on track.

Some encouraging signs for me too - still getting irregular deliveries of post, but two important letters sent from the US turned up this week. One was posted on 13 May, one on 6 June and they arrived within two days of each other (the June letter came first) so it does suggest they are getting to the bottom of the backlog.