Royal Mail delivery

Have just caught up with this thread and got some comfort in knowing it isn't just us feeling totally infuriated, but wondering what we can do to get our post... In terms of 'normal' post, is it possible to collect that from somewhere ourselves, or can you only do that with parcels? I know for a fact we are missing a whole stack of cards and letters because my partner hasn't received his 3rd September birthday cards (that I know were sent on time)!!!

Has anyone attempted to go to the sorting office and ask for their post? I am thinking this might be my only option.

I have been told a few times by RM parcel delivery folk (not my deliveries but by grabbing the person as the van parked nearby) that the back log of post are all in large trolleys sorted by road which are continually increasing.

Just a thought, it may be a futile exercise however.

We had our once-a-week post this morning (which included 2-weeks late birthday cards) and I managed to speak to the postwoman. She assured me that late post would never be destroyed and would be delivered eventually, and that all post is sorted at the Peckham depot no matter how big or small. However, she didn't seem to know whether you can go and collect it yourself without one of those 'we missed you' slips...

I'm wondering whether late packages will ever be delivered or whether they'll be returned to sender.

An online company had posted an item to me on 26th August. When I eventually contacted the sender, they took lost post action because of the length of time it was taking to reach me, They replaced the item, which I had to ask them not to send by Royal Mail. I received the replacement the next day because I paid for it to be sent by courier. I've not received the original, which presumably should now not be delivered to me but should be returned to sender.

Given how many undelivered packages they have, I wonder whether the delivery office will actually go to the extra trouble of sorting through them all to separate out the ones which need to be returned to sender.

Had a postie knock on the door twice in 10 minutes yesterday with parcels, after going down to Peckham last week and being told there were no parcels waiting to be delivered.

3 parcels in total. 2 items that were duplicates as the retailer resent it after the original going awol and the 3rd was a duplicate of another parcel received 2 days before.

We've must been very fortunate in the Colyton Rd area. I haven't noticed any particular postal delays over the last four months. For example I ordered 4 items online from different suppliers last Sun, Mon and Tues and the first arrived last Wed, the rest on Thurs and Fri. All of them Royal Mail second class.

Three months worth of contact lenses due on 1st Sept arrived on Friday so huge relief as I will now be able to see.

Also had a signed for letter from 10 August delivered same day, only six weeks later!

Better late than never I suppose.

Not had a "standard letter" for a long time however.

I've just received this morning (21 September) 20 bulbs of Gladiolus Byzantinus which were posted on 17 August, second class, with an estimated delivery date of 19 - 20 August.

Unfortunately I had forgotten all about them, or I would have contacted the sender ages ago (I have now).

They look much as you would expect small bulbs to look which have evidently been languishing in a delivery office for a month in very hot weather, ie sad little long brown sprouts emerging from the bulbs.

I doubt they're viable, but who knows. I'm not a happy bunny.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR.

ETA: They only came from North London, as well.

> I've just received this morning (21 September)

> 20 bulbs of Gladiolus Byzantinus which were

> posted on 17 August,

But aren't Byzantine things always meant to take protracted, complicated and tortuous paths?

Sorry. ;(

Re the Private Eye benchmark test: My issue due Wed.9 Sept, delivered Sat.19 Sept.

ETA Good news: a letter, with four 1st class stamps (one would have done), postmarked Kidbrooke PO SE3 21/9,

arrived today. Bad news: clearly and fully addressed to someone in a very differently named road in SE20

ETA2 The current Private Eye arrived today Thurs 24/9, only one day later than usual/best case.

I also wrote to Helen Hayes and got a slew of things that I'd been missing about a week later.

Three important financial documents (actually the same document, sent three times as the earlier ones didn't arrive - the earliest one posted on 11 August, all delivered within two days of each other) and a cheque sent from the US almost three months ago. Feels like there is definitely someone working on the backlog, at least in our street