Royal Mail delivery

Last week we posted two packages to different addresses in the Midlands at the Lordship Lane post office. One of them reached its destination the following morning. There?s still no sign of the other one.

I'm not sure if I can blame the royal mail or the charities involved but during lockdown I've adopted a Tiger, 2 Donkeys and a huddle of Penguins and not one of them has arrived through the post yet.

The smell in the sorting office must be driving the staff mad by now !

• 2 weeks later...
My post is delivered from the Forest Hill depot and I've had no problems at all. Always arrives around 10am. So all credit to them. I'm sure Covid has affected a lot businesses locally and we need to support them as much as we can. Just wear a mask and keep a safe distance and if you can't get out or are shielding, possibly some local shops will do home deliveries. It may be worth checking with them. Payment of course has to be by card as no cash can be handled.

My letter (snail) mail has petered out to very little as I've moved all financial stuff online as I had boxes of old letters that are just killing trees. Insurance and household bills mostly moved too.

I still get the occasional banking letter and ones from council/property/work etc.

My deliveries are always on time.

• 2 weeks later...
I took up Boddles suggestion and wrote to Helen Hayes and she's been very helpful. She's got me a letter of apology from the PO, which means at the least that they've been made aware. They, of course, are blaming it all on the current crisis, which we can understand would be disruptive. But they aren't admitting (or indeed mentioning) the closing of Sylvestor Rd and the obvious disruption this caused. Presumably badly planned and executed.

Yes Lynne, I also wrote to Helen Hayes and got a similar response from Royal Mail off the back of it. Since starting this thread, I'm still not getting my mail regularly; I get nothing for ages and then a big pile delivered all at once. This included a new bank card which I'd given up on ever receiving and which, by then, I'd already reported to my bank as lost in transit. I do not buy the excuse that the mail disruption is all down to Covid. If it were, all neighbourhoods would have the same problem, but they don't! I'm in no doubt that this is to do with the closing of the East Dulwich sorting office. Residents objected to this at the time and were ignored by Royal Mail. I'd therefore encourage everyone to keep raising this with their MP and local Councillors!

I know its horrific had small item ordered end of June should have been delivered within 3 days, didnt arrive after 2 weeks - replacement sent, still no sight of after couple of weeks, lots of emails to vendor and calls to sorting office. No resolution so 2nd replacement sent track and trace sign for. This to sign for was popped in my letter box within 48hrs, earlier this week, along with the one postmarked June 30. Then 2 days later the 1st replacement arrived. I now have the inconvenience of retuning the extras. Then today an item not expected til mid Sept from far east arrived by Non Royal Mail delivery. Go figure I think the Royal Mail for Dulwich is In a right royal mess.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not just one delivery company, many of the parcel deliverers offer tracking and you can see them on the map delivering around my neighborhood followed by a "we missed you" even though you're sitting there waiting for them to ring. They seem to have issues with some blocks and houses.

Last time I wrote to Customer Services and copied in the CEO of one I was so peeved - they wrote back but they never come up with a proper reason (possibly red route, possibly box was at the back of the truck, possibly they couldn't understand the door entry system - all excuses I've heard). The problem is if they miss you one day for their own reasons you're at the back of the queue next day if the truck is full as their only way of marking missed deliveries is "occupant wasn't in".

This week (Underhill, south of the Cemetery) I received a weekly and fortnightly periodical on the correct days. And something delivered today as expected. Previous weeks have been very patchy. The service is not consistently bad - but numbers of people away (Covid-19 and leave) have taken their toll. The guys (in my area, we have no women posties) I see out are generally laden down with stuff. I have gone days without any delivery (back in 'normality pre-Covid and pre the move to Peckham I got post every day) but there are still good days (and weeks).