Even more annoying aircraft noise?!

I know people have written about annoying aircraft noise on this forum before, and wondered if anyone saw the story in The Standard about how South-East London will be especially badly affected if Heathrow expands?

This is because they're proposing to end runway alternation (where planes land on the northern and southern runways alternately) - which would mean a lot more planes flying overhead. Also, the planes may well be flying lower (to keep the two runways' flightpaths apart.) So more noise - not a nice thought!

According to campaigners quoted, "it is South East London which will notice the biggest change. It will be like living under a sky of sound."

Unfortunately, the public consultation isn't bothering to include our part of town, but the website hacan.org.uk can direct you to a petition....

I think its been bad here ever since I moved here. Escalates in holiday season.Concord was a total insult. Audio violence even. For a project i was doing one time a couple of years ago I put hi quality microphones out the attic window and recorded planes. It was then that I realised there is no gap in the sound as one plane passes by and another comes in. I dont know to much about chemicals dropping to earth from plane fumes but I'd imagine its raining fine particles constantly over our part of London. Other worry is a plane dropping on us.When theres as many as there are already surely the ratios of risk clock up.

The planes bother me also because when Im recording at home they spoil my takes. Theres a steep bank that planes do over here and the engines make that spooky de_accelerate/de tune. Comes out on my tapes. Pissed me off so much one day I made a sound collage of banking planes detuning.I couldnt think straight with alla that going on.

http://badapplesmusic.com/messin/planes2.gif

woodie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I dont know to much about

> chemicals dropping to earth from plane fumes but

> I'd imagine its raining fine particles constantly

> over our part of London.

I deffo agree with you there, you only have to look at the amount of chemical trails across a clear blue sky and it scares the life out of you what they may contain!

Stop complaining, you people are the first to complain at aiports when your flight is delayed and yet you are quite happy to talk about noise pollution when it affects your back garden! What about the poor people living in small villages close to Heathrow and the the problems they face when us people in ED are jetting off to Rio for the summer!

Louisa.

I totally agree that most of us want to fly once or twice a year on holiday - and we happily accept a certain amount of plane noise (as well as traffic noise....police sirens etc etc...) if choose to live in a city like London.

It's just that the Heathrow expansion plans feel a little like someone's planning to build a motorway through our neighourhood without even bothering to ask the locals how they feel! (The public consultation only includes West London.)

And, if the proposals do happen, the people in the little villages near Heathrow will of course be affected by the extra flights too. (in fact, their homes may be bulldozed to make way for a third runway...) So it's an issue that affects South-East and West Londoners (and North Londoners too I guess!)

A technical masterpiece for sure, scary as hell when it went up in smoke that time. The last flypast, the 3 of them was impressive/sad/good riddance all in one. Just, a tiny amount of people in it for the din it made. Could not work at all till it had passed.

From my experience aircraft safety has greatly improved, sure the engines are getting greener but things go wrong usually at take off or landing. They aren't actually landing in London, they are in descent though. 777's are flown by mouse. Could'nt believe it when I saw it. Its hella busy in the skies here.

I bet theres more planes over London than Rio.

I totally agree that it would a shame never to have a moment's peace. I don't notice the planes too much in the winter, but more planes would be a nightmare in summer when we have the windows open and spend a lot of time in the garden. I'll definitely be signing that petition.

I noticed how much quieter London was when BA went on strike, ED became almost villagey again, you could hear people chortling 2 streets away. It seemed only BA flew over London and it was great when it stopped.

Hey Lozzyloz what/who is LEZ?

I was listening to aircraft at 5.30am a couple of days ago, so lez isn't so good whoever he is!

I dont think it's any worse here than in Clapham or Battersea. I dont think it's got any worse over here either - it just depends on the weather same as ever. Runway alternation makes a difference - I'd hate to think that policy will change. Either way I am glad I'm not rich enough to live in Chiswick or Richmond though - the planes are properly loud and low there!

Its definately bad in Clapham Junction - I used be there quite a lot. The flights would start about 5 or 530, and there was a constant stream of planes approaching Heathrow - you could see them approaching one after another from the upstairs window... It was very loud!!

Serif,

I lived in Chiswick, Bedford Park......hardly ever heard any noise. Surprised the hell out of me when I moved here and got the 4-4:30am wake up call from the first plane of the day. Its much noisier here than most of Chiswick. Now if you had said Brentord.....I would have been there with you, I could wave to the passengers they were so low when I was there.