Interested in cycle to work in the City?

jonsuissy

I work on bishopsgate by Liverpool street station. I've been riding to work for a year and have a very quiet route worked out. Happy to take you there and/or back until you feel more confident. I get to work for 8am. Let me know if interested

I have been cycling for over 15 yrs in London, I wear a mask which I only pull over my mouth when in heavy traffic, Not had any health probs with chest, have also just been told after hospital check up (have regular checks due to blood cancer 5 years ago) that My heart and lungs are in top condition. But this maybe due to fact I was aware of risks and took precautions. I avoid congested roads on my ride to kentish town from forest hill rd by going via Peckham rye, surrey canal,then up through road by aylesbury estate. I use a very good route around the elephant that takes me out by southwark university. only congested rd's I use are southwark bridge rd,and Farringdon, (I use the mask here when it's busy) Then another quiet route takes me around kings cross and out by the side of St Pancras station, where I then go on to use college rd in camden with it's brilliant segregated cycling path using big planters.

• 1 month later...

I find this the safest and most pleasant route into the City from Camberwell: use LCN23 and CS7.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0nK-Atnkav8Qm93WkhRcDVHOTQ/edit?usp=docslist_api

Southwark Bridge has a walled off cycle path. The map segment on New Kent Road also has a dedicated cycle path shielded from the traffic by the pavement. You cross the A3 and Lower Thames Street using dedicated cyclists' traffic lights

It would be quicker for me to go over London Bridge, but it's best to avoid Walworth Road and the A3.

now that the whole of the city is 20 miles per hour I am thinking of changing from moped to bike, where is the best bike shop around ED to buy a bike and not one that isn't too expensive or heavy (having tried the Boris Bikes they weigh a ton) ladies raleigh will do...

Just got a bike from Edwardes in Camberwell, very good service http://www.edwardescycles.com/. They have a range of bikes there and can advise and order in exact sizes etc. There is also Balfes Bikes http://www.balfesbikes.co.uk/ on East Dulwich Road, who have always been very good on repairs etc though I haven't bought anything major from them. I think they have less stock in but can order stuff. When I lived in Peckham I always used Wilson's and they were good too http://www.wilsonscycles.com/, but again only used them for services and repairs, not to buy.

On the other hand if you just want something cheap keep an eye on the For Sale section here on the forum, lots of second hand bikes pop up on that.

jammyaileen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> now that the whole of the city is 20 miles per

> hour I am thinking of changing from moped to bike,

> where is the best bike shop around ED to buy a

> bike and not one that isn't too expensive or heavy

> (having tried the Boris Bikes they weigh a ton)

> ladies raleigh will do...

This is my route into town https://goo.gl/maps/8dcTz. The maps is from from The Plough to Holborn, but just turn left at New Oxford Street instead and head along to Oxford Circus straight down there and then Oxford Street. It's pretty much all quiet back streets and avoids the hills. At New Kent Road you are using the cycle route along the pavement, crossing at the lights and then straight down through the cycling bypass so avoiding Elephant and Castle.

If you look at Google Map's cycle route suggestion it will take you via Kennington, I think, which is probably about the same ish distance but goes over the hill (which you may or may not want!) and along busier streets but using the CS7 (I think).

Edited to add more info

Hope that helps!

Ladygooner Wrote:

> Does anyone have a good route for cycling to

> Oxford Circus from East Dulwich?

• 8 months later...

Bought a second hand bike on here and I've been cycling to Liverpool Street for the last 2 weeks. I absolutely love it.

Anyone having reservations should just go for it. I've become hopelessly unfit over the last 6 years and I just wish I'd started this earlier.

What do people do about work shirts etc?

Iron at home and bring them in folded somehow? Daily? Weekly?

Have them done somewhere near the office, keeping them hung-up at work?

Love the cycling but always found messing around with shirts 'n' suits to be a pain in the a!

Shirts and trousers fit in larger pannier bags, Ortlieb are great. There are dedicated rucksacks/panniers designed for full suits, but they tend to be pricey (as in ?100+ for what's basically a medium sized rucksack).

Big advantage of panniers over rucksacks is that you don't get a sweaty back!

I could do that, or as I think some others do which is have the shirts ironed locally. Just dropping off and picking up 5 shirts each week... but if there's a way of bringing in a shirt daily I'd go with that.

The cycling part is great it's just the faff that puts me off

I've been commuting for years and I fold my shirts in a similar way to this (though fasten every other button) http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/clothing-care/fold-dress-shirt

I then put the folded shirt in a thickish carrier bag and pop this in my pannier. I'm sure Ortlieb are great but I've been using cheap ones from Decathlon for ages. It does seem a faff at first but the freedom not to be bound to train departure times and the currently awful platform 15 at London Bridge will make it all worth while. It also depends on what facilities you have at work to store stuff and what showering facilities there are.

ed_pete Wrote:

> I've been commuting for years and I fold my shirts

> in a similar way to this (though fasten every

> other button)

> http://www.realsimple.com/beauty-fashion/clothing-

> care/fold-dress-shirt

> I then put the folded shirt in a thickish carrier

> bag and pop this in my pannier. I'm sure Ortlieb

> are great but I've been using cheap ones from

> Decathlon for ages. It does seem a faff at first

> but the freedom not to be bound to train departure

> times and the currently awful platform 15 at

> London Bridge will make it all worth while. It

> also depends on what facilities you have at work

> to store stuff and what showering facilities there

> are.

Same sort of thing but I pop the shirt into one of those A4 rigid plastic document wallets you can get from Rymans to keep it neatly folded.

Annasfield Wrote:

> Not easier for girls in terms of makeup and

> washing hair

I do that before I leave home. I cycle at a relaxed speed so don't sweat enough to warrant another shower or make-up