Interested in cycle to work in the City?

jonsuissy

I regularly cycle to Canary Wharf. I used to go the Tower Bridge route but switched to the Greenwich route as it is about a mile shorter and less busy traffic-wise, although you are supposed to walk through the foot tunnel so it is roughly the same time. Navigationally going to Tower Bridge is a lot easier: Route 22 until Tower Bridge Road, over the bridge then take the Supper Highway. Rotherhithe Tunnel is not recommended.

It took me 40 mins when I started, probably about 35 mins now. Quicker than public transport.

I have always found the cycle guides from TFL very useful and FREE.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11682.aspx

Also don't forget you also save the cost of gym fees if you cycle. And I have found all sorts of interesting places when cycling. The london cycling campaign has rides to join to get used to cycling in busy streets, and you get free third party insurance as a member

The guys in North Cross Road charged me ?30 for a service. My bike had been in the shed for 4 years....... Saying that, it is nice to have a permanent bike shop around so I will try out BC bikes next time.

damzel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What a great idea! I've toyed with the idea of

> cycling to work but find the concept a bit

> daunting so to have a trial run at the weekend

> with someone who knows the journey would be

> brilliant. Having said that, I haven't had my

> bike out of the shed for over 4 years so it will

> need some TLC first. I saw some guys on North

> Cross Road today fixing up some bikes - are they

> there every week doing bike mots? How much do

> they charge?

Hi - sure - i'll be going that wy on Thursday if you "pm" person wants to come along

I'm a regular Southwark Cyclist - see http://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/

jonsuissy Wrote:

> I've had a PM from somebody wanting to cycle to St

> Pauls.

> Does anyone have any suggestions for a quietish

> route?

> Jon

you could ask this lot if they know the score over the border .....

http://lewishamcyclists.co.uk/

But this says they do .........

www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/transport/Pages/cycling.aspx

woodland Wrote:

> I have just got a bike and am going to cycle from

> forest hill rd to charing cross area - all tips on

> avoiding hills and roads that are very busy

> happily received. Also - does anyone know whether

> as I technically live in Lewisham councils area -

> whether I can attend the Southwark free lessons.

> (I'm right on the border)

> thanks...

nunhead_man Wrote:

> Hi - sure - i'll be going that wy on Thursday if

> you "pm" person wants to come along

>

> I'm a regular Southwark Cyclist - see

> http://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/

>

>

> jonsuissy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I've had a PM from somebody wanting to cycle to

> St

> > Pauls.

> > Does anyone have any suggestions for a quietish

> > route?

> > Jon

Thanks - I've asked Mark to PM you.

Jon

@katanita - thanks for posting the map link - can't believe I've been cycling a similar route for 8 years without knowing about the canal path.

I shall try it tomorrow morning.

If anyone is interested in measuring the route they take exactly eg breakdown of distance / pace / calories / climb / descent I highly recommend the ?runtastic? app (all phone types).

Using the app definitely improved my speed over the last few weeks. The feeling that someone is keeping an eye on my time gives extra motivation. It?s also interesting to see which roads appear flat but have a bit of a sneaky gradient!

i cycled for a year from Playfied Crescent to Moorgate before being knocked down by a car on a cycle route and ended up in hospital. Unfortunately not been able to get back on a bike. it is dangerous and the helmet i was wearing saved me.

Wear a helmet and good luck. I really enjoyed it while i did it and it is a great form of excercise.

@andredivic Hope you enjoyed the canal route! Also recommend Strava which is an app which does a very similar thing in recording your ride and giving you stats. It shows you how you stack up against other people on the same route and awards you trophies for beating their times. Nice reward at the end of a journey :)

My version of the Forest Hill Road route into Charing X or beyond into the West End is:

down west side of P Rye Park

Rye La for a nice fight with the buses

Up the canal path

Almost all the way along middle of Burgess Park

Bear right and go diagonally up to junction just east of junction with Portland.

All the way up that and then a right/left followed by...

Another right/left to get me onto final stub of Old Kent Rd

Stuff the cycle gyratory (calmer, too slow for me) so straight over roundabout

Waterloo Rd

Waterloo roundabout

Waterloo Br

Incredibly badly designed by incredibly handy cycle path up side of Royal Opera House

etc.

jonsuissy Wrote:

> I've had a PM from somebody wanting to cycle to St

> Pauls.

> Does anyone have any suggestions for a quietish

> route?

> Jon

My work will be moving to St Pauls in the new year, so if a reliable route is established, please do share it here.

We've now set up our first ride, the details of which follow below. The plan is to have a trial run on a Saturday morning with a "for real" ride on the following Monday.

You are welcome to join in both or either.

Of course, even if you don't want to use this particular route as a commute, you can always come on Saturday to get used to cycling in town.

Saturday 6th October 9.00am

Meet at junction of Ondine Road with East Dulwich Road (Outside "Kindly Properties").

Ride to Trafalgar Square via Waterloo and then back from Trafalgar Square over Lambeth Bridge, Kennington and Camberwell. We shall avoid Dog Kennel Hill both ways.Journey one way is about 5 or 6 miles (30-40 minutes).

Monday 8th October 7.30am

Repeat journey to Waterloo/Traflgar Square as above

We shall be taking it very easy and will follow back roads where at all possible and making use of any available parks as well as the Canal Path in Peckham. By the very nature of a ride to central London the "fun" will be in the last mile or so, but there is no getting away from that.

If you fancy joining us then please do PM me beforehand so that we can swap phone numbers in case of emergency etc

Any questions then please ask.

Regards

Jon

Hi

First decision re St Pauls is which bridge - Southwark Bridge is quieter to approach, cross and leave than either Blackfriars Bridge and London Bridge. Of course you could walk across the new footbridge from the Tate?

And then where are you starting from?

MarkE Wrote:

> jonsuissy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I've had a PM from somebody wanting to cycle to

> St

> > Pauls.

> > Does anyone have any suggestions for a quietish

> > route?

> > Jon

>

>

> My work will be moving to St Pauls in the new

> year, so if a reliable route is established,

> please do share it here.

Hi,

I have recently started cycling to work, I am a nervous and inexperienced cyclist, and found it to be a great experience.

I was guided, and have a route from Peckham Rye that is back roads, parks and along the canal towpath until the last mile.

I would advise anyone who is nervous to go for it, Jon kindly set me up with a guide, who not only showed me the way, but ensured that I rode safely. I would thoroughly recommend giving it a go, and ask for help if you are not sure which way to go.

Thanks.

Excellent - thanks for the reference!

hurleyds Wrote:

> Hi,

>

> I have recently started cycling to work, I am a

> nervous and inexperienced cyclist, and found it to

> be a great experience.

> I was guided, and have a route from Peckham Rye

> that is back roads, parks and along the canal

> towpath until the last mile.

> I would advise anyone who is nervous to go for it,

> Jon kindly set me up with a guide, who not only

> showed me the way, but ensured that I rode safely.

> I would thoroughly recommend giving it a go, and

> ask for help if you are not sure which way to go.

>

> Thanks.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Southwark Bridge is definitely the way to go.

I head down Camberwell Grove, hang a left and then a right at Camberwell Green and go all the way up the Walworth Road to Elephant. It's not too bad as there are plenty of bus lanes - it's straight and fairly quick. You can always get off at Elephant if you don't fancy it or there is a back route that crosses the Old Kent Road. At Elephant take the Newington Causeway exit but then take the first left at the lights and follow the road around to the right. It takes you all the way up to and across Southwark Bridge. At the other side of the bridge go straight ahead as this is for both pedestrians and cyclists - you can cross the next two roads at the lights (same mixed-use scenario) and take a left down Cheapside - straight to St Paul's.

I always go nice and slow on the pedestrian bit as at least 1/4 of the cyclists at this point are tossers who just head straight through at a fair lick expecting pedestrians to get out of the way. Apart from being a shit way to treat people it's completely counter-productive for anyone who wants to improve cycle access to central London.

This route is if you are a fairly confident cyclist - I think it's the quickest. If you aren't very experienced then I'd take advantage of Jon's kind offer for a guided route and see how you feel after a while.

Hi Jon

I just saw this thread so I am little late in joining in but...

Is this any use? http://www.airevalleybikebus.org.uk/

My neighbour in Bradford set it up and the idea is the whole thing is ready for anyone else to take and re-purpose for their own local bike bus, including the posters, logo, website, etc. In case you wanted to spread the idea a bit further.

I think it is excellent to share rides and would be really happy to offer my services as a guide from Peckham Rye to Trafalgar Square and a few other places too. I commute on an ad-hoc basis at the moment but if I do ride it I set off about 8.30am. I've tried lots of different routes, and I avoid all roundabouts and as many right-turn junctions as possible.

Lucy

Along the same vein, does anybody who cycles back (in my case from Old Street) via London Bridge have any suitable alternatives since the closure of Weston Street? I've been walking down Thomas Street, but it's taking me at least 10 minutes longer than it normally does. I've also tried going over Southwark Bridge instead, and that delays me, too!