Interested in cycle to work in the City?

jonsuissy

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but would anyone be up for showing me the ropes? I am soon to buy a bike and want to commute in (to Blackfriars). If anyone cycles that way, please do send me a PM.

mark_h Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to resurrect this thread, but would anyone

> be up for showing me the ropes? I am soon to buy a

> bike and want to commute in (to Blackfriars). If

> anyone cycles that way, please do send me a PM.

Hi Mark I cycle in to Blackfriars every day at around 8.30 and would be happy to take you in one day. I start by going up Green dale and my route avoids all main roads and is relatively traffic free.

A good route that Caesi01 - curious why you dog-leg east at Peckham though? Kelly Avenue / Chandler Way is almost traffic free apart from a short stretch on Commercial Way. Only down side being you miss the excellent coffee van that's at Peckham Arch most mornings.

Hi Mark - If you need to leave earlier than 'yourmomma' I also cycle to Blackfriars most days (am a fair-weather cyclist tho, so not when it's raining!), usually leaving ED just before 8am.

Take a similar route through Peckham as Caesi01, although also prefer the Kelly Avenue/Chandler Way route. I go through St George's Circus and take the new segregated cycle lane all the way over BF bridge which is fantastic!

https://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/52592849/#balanced

Looking at the weather forecast I'll be heading-in Thursday and Friday.

Cheers

I cycle to work near aldgate from top of peckham rye park, I go, nunhead, down the over old kent road, nobody should ever have to cycle on that road, then past millwall and onto jamaica road. I actually turn right and go over tower bridge, but i've left your destination in there.

http://goo.gl/3f4BQk

Ben

Hi Mark_H - +1 for the Southwark Cyclists Biketrain. A really good way to get your bearings on a friendly and comfortable ride led by experts. I've been helping out with getting some of the "passengers" onwards from Blackfriars towards Westminster and Victoria. Let me know if you'd like more details.

Same goes for anyone else on here too. Fed up with the railway? Join the Biketrain!

davidk,

I work very near you and leave from Northcross Road.

How long does your cycle take?

I go via The Rye, Peckham Rye, Surrey Canal, through Burgess Park, then cut across Old Kent Road, then up Tower Bridge Road......

Mine takes between 30 and 35 mins......dependent on traffic lights.......etc......

Happy to be part of a bike train in the morning, I have been cycling for over 6 years, so happy to help out.

I'll be working in Blackfriars from July. Once I scope out the shower facilities and the logistics of doing a suit and tie job as well as cycling I'd be up for joining the cycletrain! Currently cycling to south ken, and found a great route just as I'm leaving after 4 years; local knowledge would have helped a lot in the first place ha.

jacks09 - there's a pretty good route to Greenwich - across Peckham Rye Common, Stuart Road / Surrey Road, Brockley Way, over the railway, down in to Ladywell, left at Algernon Road, and then head North on the "Waterlink Way" signposted cycle route all the way to Greenwich, from where you can walk your bike through the foot tunnel. From there you can take the river path (pleasant, safe, slow) or Westferry Road (gets the job done).

Or the above "City" routes will also work - taking Tower Bridge & turn right on to Cycle Superhighway 3 at the northern end, from which Canary Wharf is about 15 minutes on a very well signposted route. The junction at the north side of Tower Bridge is pretty bad though, getting from there to the start of Superhighway 3 is terrible at the moment.

For the Wharf, on balance, I think Tower Bridge and CS3 is better. The Canal Path behind Peckham Library is actually really lovely at this time of year, with cow parsley crowding both sides. The junction at the north side of Tower Bridge is almost finished and will I think be slightly better than before - dedicated lights in both directions for cyclists. The only cramped part is Tower Bridge itself but it's hard for TfL to make that any wider... Take care heading north after teh bridge to the lights just by the Tower of London.

And the upside of this route is that occasionally you have to wait while they lift the bridge for some tall ship to sail through!

jacks09 Wrote:

> Does anyone have an idea of a good safe route to

> Canary Wharf?

Jacks, the routes aren't quite finished yet (though usuable in nearly all areas), but if you don't mind going the long way round (more exercise!) you can take the backroute through Burgess Park to Elephant, get on the segregated superhighway all the way to Tower Hill, join the Aldgate to Bow segregated highway, join the Regent's Canal towpath at the top of Mile End Park, ride down to Limehouse Basin and then round to Canary Wharf via the Thames towpath. According to Gmaps pedometer that's 9 miles as opposed to 6.5 by the quickest route - say an extra ten minutes at a reasonable pace - but after Elephant you'd be almost exclusively separated from traffic.

wulfhound Wrote:

> A good route that Caesi01 - curious why you

> dog-leg east at Peckham though? Kelly Avenue /

> Chandler Way is almost traffic free apart from a

> short stretch on Commercial Way. Only down side

> being you miss the excellent coffee van that's at

> Peckham Arch most mornings.

Trying to avoid the potholes on Lyndhurst way :-)

Carlz88 - there's a bunch of routes between Crystal Palace and Dulwich - either Farquhar Road & Dulwich Wood Avenue, or Fountain Drive & College Road. You can go east or west of the College - east is quicker but really busy at school run. Either way, you want to end up on College Road heading for the Picture Gallery roundabout.

From there follow the signposted "LCN 23", you can look it up on Open Cycle Map: http://www.opencyclemap.org/, goes through Camberwell, Burgess Park, and cuts around Elephant & Castle to the north/east.

For Holborn you're probably best taking Blackfriars Bridge using the new Cycle Superhighway. I think the easiest from LCN 23 is, immediately after you cross Newington Causeway, take Keyworth Street to its end, left on to Borough Road, then a rather convoluted right turn on to the Cycle Superhighway at St George's Circus. That will get you all the way up to Ludgate Circus, should be easy from there.

Yes do try cycling. I restarted cycling about 20 years ago and cycled to islington. I am now retired (at 67) but despite arthritis in knees i love to cycle. The separated cycle lanes are growing in number and there is a very good cycle route circling the elephant and castle. One of the quietest bridges is Southwark (good for St Paul's) with a separate cycle bit. The new lower Thames Street cycle lanes are already part useable and are a joy to use! Do see if you can get hold of the TFL cycle maps they are very good for quiet routes etc. Also join London Cycling campaign and get free third party insurance too, the local Southawark group hold regular led rides on some Saturdays which is great for anxious starters. My bike is still the same bike, costing ?250. It is a bit heavy but reliable, so you can see how cheap cycling can be. And of course healthier despite general pollution.

Caesi01 Wrote:

> wulfhound Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > A good route that Caesi01 - curious why you

> > dog-leg east at Peckham though? Kelly Avenue /

> > Chandler Way is almost traffic free apart from

> a

> > short stretch on Commercial Way. Only down side

> > being you miss the excellent coffee van that's

> at

> > Peckham Arch most mornings.

>

> Trying to avoid the potholes on Lyndhurst way :-)

Someone has named it the lunar surface on Strava. I used to cycle that way when I lived on LL

Hi,

Southwark cyclists run weekly taster rides from Peckham Rye, Denmark Hill and Nunhead Stations up to Blackfriars, Faringdon, Westminster and Mayfair. The idea is to use the safest possible route to get to the new segregated cycle lanes from the Elephant and Castle onwards.

The rides, known as the Bike Train, set off from Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill Stations at 8.10am and get to Blackfriars at 8.45am. We take riders on from there individually to Faringdon, Mayfair and Westminster (only if they want to go, of course).

The whole she-bang is free etc and we can tailor it to suit your personal ride. Rides back are arranged individually. The route goes through two parks, a traffic calmed back street, the pavement cycle lanes on the New Kent Road, the Elephant and Castle by-pass and then the new segregated lanes.

The next Wednesday Bike Train is this Wednesday May 11th. If you are interested get in touch

Sally