My dog was attacked this morning - near Goose Green

Cheese Board

I frequently take my dog on the bus/train/tube because I don't own a car and without a car I have no way of getting the dog to the vet or bringing her with me for extended periods of time other than by public transport. I keep her on my lap or as close to me as possible on the ground, and always on a lead. Dogs are allowed on public transport and whilst I agree that owners need to be responsible and aware of other passengers' personal space/comfort, non dog owners also need to CHILL - OUT and realise that sniffing is how a dog comes to understand its surroundings. In my experience, other passengers' children have caused me greater distress on public transport than naturally curious pet dogs.

Agreed, dogs should always be on a lead in public (except at the park/in areas where you are actually allowed to let them off. Exercise = good).

WARNING! Here is a rant from an anti-dog man.....! Turn away now if you love doggies!

My interpretation of what occurred was that it was a violent incident that occurred because two (note that..TWO owners) could not control their dogs (on, or off, the lead). In my, anti dog, view, the violence is that of the owners!! Why didn't the Police arrest them both?

As a life long runner, I have been using public parks for decades, and I am very fed up of inneffective owners telling me that the dog that has just chased me, nipped me, barked/growled at me, is "really a nice dog, and very friendly" (So, of course, I must be a horrible, animal hating and unreasonable person)

The latest incident that I endured was in Chiswick park, on a saturday morning, when we entered a cricket field that had been effectively taken over by dog owners, who obviously knew each other as regular saturday dog walkers. We had a 5 year old boy with us, who was bowled over by a fast moving dog, the same size as him, and who was very scared and shaken. He spent the rest of the day shying away from any dog that came close. In my opinion, that was an assault on the child by the owner. And..lets not even talk about the numerous park cafe's taken over by groups of doggie owners on week ends.

I am clearly an insane, embittered, odd bod, who has not developed the natural English love of our canine friends.

I believe it to be a sign of our insanity, that we will cull Badgers, but not dogs!

Looking forward to many "animated" replies,

Yours

R N Gutsell

If you are referring to the original posting, then only one person had their dogs off the lead. The other dog was being controlled. Why should the police arrest them both?

No one should have to put up with being nipped by someone else's dog - so why don't you report them? Take a picture of them and their owner. Unfortunately there are a lot of people out there who don't control their dogs, thankfully mine doesn't run after bikes or runners. You can't lump all dogs and their owners into the same category, but you obviously are.