skateboarding at the Grove Pub car park

ruffers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Came down and watched for a few minutes tonight,

> good to see.

>

> Thinking fifty two is pushing it a bit for a first

> timer..., 🤔

Nah - have a go. How difficult can it be LOL :)

The Dulwich Estate has been clear that its preference is to redevelop the site for housing. I understand from our local councillors that Tesco wanted to put a Tesco Metro there, and MacDonalds wanted it for a drive through site (this was a while back) both of which approaches were rebuffed. The debate appears to be around whether it gets redeveloped as high-end housing (the Estate's preference) or whether it is more of a mixed-use development with social housing and/or community amenities and/or a senior living facility (Southwark's preference). There's a good bit of background here:

https://www.dulwichsociety.com/2020-spring/1872-the-grove-tavern-saga-by-mike-foster

Shrieker Wrote:

> True, but then Lordship Lane has 5 or 6 hugely

> overpriced, swanky food led pubs practically

> beside each other. The kind of pubs where people

> sit and nurse 1 drink (sometimes alcohol free) and

> talk about their next skiing holiday or business

> trip to Dubai. We need more affordable pubs were

> the common man can sit around, supping multiple

> well priced pints, and talk about the football and

> racing. Like all pubs used to be before everywhere

> was gentrified.

0/10

• 2 weeks later...

The Skaters have made creative use of the empty car park showing off their skills and having fun,

If MacDonald's or another drive through was agreed, it would be a nightmare to what is already a busy road and junction

Siduhe Wrote:

> The Dulwich Estate has been clear that its

> preference is to redevelop the site for housing.

> I understand from our local councillors that Tesco

> wanted to put a Tesco Metro there, and MacDonalds

> wanted it for a drive through site (this was a

> while back) both of which approaches were

> rebuffed. The debate appears to be around whether

> it gets redeveloped as high-end housing (the

> Estate's preference) or whether it is more of a

> mixed-use development with social housing and/or

> community amenities and/or a senior living

> facility (Southwark's preference). There's a good

> bit of background here:

>

> https://www.dulwichsociety.com/2020-spring/1872-th

> e-grove-tavern-saga-by-mike-foster

Wow, what an unhelpful message. Thanks Sue

Had a lovely evening down there today and everyone was respectful and tidy. Inspiring to see young people (and old) making something of a dire situation.

I shot some photos which you can see on my instagram (Ollie_Jarman) and I will upload more as I take them.

olliejarman Wrote:

> Wow, what an unhelpful message. Thanks Sue

>

> Had a lovely evening down there today and everyone

> was respectful and tidy. Inspiring to see young

> people (and old) making something of a dire

> situation.

> I shot some photos which you can see on my

> instagram (Ollie_Jarman) and I will upload more as

> I take them.

I think the skate park is great. As you will see from my previous post.

I signed the petition.

However it is not helpful in a pandemic to have a large group of mainly young unmasked people gathered together watching the skateboarders with no attempt at social distancing at all.

It isn't about being "respectful and tidy". It's about not passing on a virus.

Sue Wrote:

> However it is not helpful in a pandemic to have a

> large group of mainly young unmasked people

> gathered together watching the skateboarders with

> no attempt at social distancing at all.

>

> It isn't about being "respectful and tidy". It's

> about not passing on a virus.

I certainly agree that we all have a responsibility protect one another from Covid-19, Sue, and that young people often tend to feel invulnerable/immortal. However, there is now plenty of evidence that brief contact outside in fresh air very much limits the chance of passing on the virus.

I imagine most of the young people enjoying the skate park are currently being told by the government it's safe for them to return to stuffy classrooms, sixth form colleges or university courses/halls, or to go back to their minimum-wage, public-facing jobs. Mostly via public transport. With a shambles of a test and trace systems.

Are they really being that reckless in comparison? Seems there are so many other failings that you could direct your ire towards. If it came down to a choice of the two, I think I'd rather take my chances chatting in the skate park than picking up some asparagus in M&S or hopping on the 176 with the chin-warmer brigade.

You're not wrong, Sue, that social distancing is a good thing at this time.

However, in terms of preventing COVID spread among the youth, I don't think standing around in the open air would be a bad thing for kids and the youth to be doing. If we chase them away from there they'll be down the pub, crammed into someone's bedroom, or on the bus/train to skate somewhere further afield - all of which is more risky.

?Are they really being that reckless in comparison? Seems there are so many other failings that you could direct your ire towards. If it came down to a choice of the two, I think I'd rather take my chances chatting in the skate park than picking up some asparagus in M&S or hopping on the 176 with the chin-warmer brigade?.

What does chin-warmer brigade mean?

first mate Wrote:

> ?Are they really being that reckless in

> comparison? Seems there are so many other failings

> that you could direct your ire towards. If it came

> down to a choice of the two, I think I'd rather

> take my chances chatting in the skate park than

> picking up some asparagus in M&S or hopping on the

> 176 with the chin-warmer brigade?.

>

> What does chin-warmer brigade mean?

I'm guessing they are referring to the divs that wear the mask only to keep their chins warm and not over their mouth and nose.