skateboarding at the Grove Pub car park

We encourage all and everyone to come and skate it. Whether you are stepping on a board for the first time or for the 1000th you're welcome down at 'The Grove'

Just please make sure not to skate before 7AM and after 8PM to keep noise down for local residents! Thank you have fun!

My son?s been welcomed here and is loving the positive ?can do? vibe - thanks for creating it 🙂 Definately contact the councillors, Helen Hayes and the other one mentioned. Also James Barber (Via Liberal Democrats)- Sadly no longer a councillor but loads of experience in local projects. Might be worth contacting the Southbank skaters - they had a long and I think successful campaign - might have some good tips....I know it?s a bit late to save the pub idea but can?t help thinking of it as a good relocation for Hop Kingdom....

The site is in the Dulwich Wood area - Andy Simmons and Catherine Rose are the councillors to email. I have pointed them to this thread and the petition but, as ever, the more people who contact them - the higher up the agenda it gets.

I?ve had a detailed and helpful reply from Andy and Catherine - they are aware of this campaign and the key bit of their email about the skaters says:

The priority for a temporary use of the site is for short term coach parking to stop school coaches having a negative impact on local roads and this was agreed after public consultation some years ago.

The views of residents of Gloucester Court which is immediately adjacent to the site are important regarding any other temporary use of the site here, as are the views of other residents and the local police who have had to deal with complaints of class A drug dealing and use, anti-social behaviour and sex with minors in the neighbouring ward recently (not on the Grove Tavern site).

If Gloucester Court residents (in particular) and other local residents potentially impacted by noise are not disturbed by a temporary skate park and the police don?t receive complaints about crime or anti social behaviour on the site then Catherine and I are happy with a meanwhile use of the site in the short to medium term and we met with the Dulwich Estate yesterday to explain this.

I think the Dulwich Estate are now also broadly happy with a temporary use of the site if they don?t receive complaints, but Stonegate Pubs may still have concerns of their own - they are difficult to contact and have had many staff on furlough recently which has made communication even more difficult.

So it sounds as if there is a solution here with the Estate, given the acknowledgement there haven?t been any issues or complaints about the skaters - although who knows about the pub chain.

I noticed this yesterday when I was picking up my daughter on the South Circ. As she was passing the car park, one of the guys called out to ask her if she skates and to invite her to have a go. It made her day. What these young people are doing is so positive and so creative with such an ugly unloved space. It's a disgrace that the pub and car park have sat derelict for so long, so it's brilliant to see young people taking the initiative to turn it to good use. I've signed the petition, but do let Forum members know if there's anything more we can do to support it.

olliejarman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Signed and shared, as a local skateboarder it nice

> to see these spaces pop up. i proper community.

> Unlike the greedy landowner who no doubt is

> sitting on it waiting for the value to go up.

Not sure but I'm sure I read on the forum at some point that the Dulwich estate own the land?????