Great bars in London Bridge?

emc

Platform on Tooley Street is ok, gets v busy. The Woolpack on Bermondsey Street would be my boozer of choice round that end of London Bridge, but if you just want at London Bridge Station, not a great selection. Market Porter in Borough Market is good. Guess what I think is great may not chime with what you think. Cooperage (Tooley St) is quite cosy and ok for a few pints.

Boozers: the market porter or the old kings head (very good happy hour but check for football if you're not into that sort of thing)

Bars: erm.....

Alternative: Katzenjammers German beer Keller. If you're there on a Friday the oompah band will be on and the place goes mental. Last time they played the whole of Bohemian Rhapsody in oompah, amongst other classics.

A boozer is a pub even though it has a bar whereas a bar is a bar even though it sells booze. Furthermore a restaurant is not a pub just because it has a bar but a pub may have a restaurant and a bar. Whether it becomes a boozer after a certain time at night is entirely up to the landlord and no business of mine.

It?s a tradition.

Or an old charter.

Or something.

As is steeling running gags from Brentonian authors but I doubt anyone will get it so you?re in the clear there kid.

Gingerbeer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> El Pibe Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > A boozer is a pub, a bar ain't.

>

>

> So whats the difference between a pub and a bar?

A pub has a bar but a bar doesn't necessarily have a bar. Confusing innit?!

I doubt there's a dictionary definition.

I think ultimately its a sort of ethos.

GOing out on a limb I'd say a bar is about projecting who you are, a pub is about appreciating what other people are, but that's probably a bit too abstract/rose tinted.

You can have a bar in a pub but you'd be hard pressed to achieve a pub in a bar, though doubtless there are exceptions to both.

If the beer is only bottled it's a sure sign you're in a bar though.

I would say that a pub is basically a more traditional environment. Draft beer (ale as well as lager) is essential. Pubs don't do cocktails. TVs showing sports, pool tables, dart boards, fruit machines, newspapers and board games are all things you may find in a pub, but not in a bar. The availability of peanuts, pork scratchings, and scampi fries are also good indicators. Usually open during the day. Food, if available, is likely to include English classics including fish and chips, pie and mash, and sunday roasts.

A bar would usually have more modern decor. Possibly a greater proportion of standing vs seated space. More of a "nightlife" sort of place... may not even be open during the day. People would get a bit more dressed up, and the music may possibly be louder. There may be a cocktail list. Bottled lagers. Ale on tap would probably not be the norm. Meals are not usually available, but if they are, would be likely to have more exotic aspirations.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I would say that a pub is basically a more

> traditional environment. Draft beer (ale as well

> as lager) is essential. Pubs don't do cocktails.

> TVs showing sports, pool tables, dart boards,

> fruit machines, newspapers and board games are all

> things you may find in a pub, but not in a bar.

> The availability of peanuts, pork scratchings, and

> scampi fries are also good indicators. Usually

> open during the day. Food, if available, is likely

> to include English classics including fish and

> chips, pie and mash, and sunday roasts.

>

> A bar would usually have more modern decor.

> Possibly a greater proportion of standing vs

> seated space. More of a "nightlife" sort of

> place... may not even be open during the day.

> People would get a bit more dressed up, and the

> music may possibly be louder. There may be a

> cocktail list. Bottled lagers. Ale on tap would

> probably not be the norm. Meals are not usually

> available, but if they are, would be likely to

> have more exotic aspirations.

Welcome to 1992?

Brendan Wrote:

> A boozer is a pub even though it has a bar whereas

> a bar is a bar even though it sells booze.

> Furthermore a restaurant is not a pub just because

> it has a bar but a pub may have a restaurant and a

> bar. Whether it becomes a boozer after a certain

> time at night is entirely up to the landlord and

> no business of mine.

>

> It?s a tradition.

> Or an old charter.

> Or something.

>

> As is steeling running gags from Brentonian

> authors but I doubt anyone will get it so you?re