Dogs off leash

Clare11

I'm sure this has been debated to death. I am a dog lover. Right now however I have a toddler.

Today after walking down to feed the ducks at Peckhan Rye Park, I am now not a dog OWNER lover in many respects. There is a very clear notice saying that the area around the pond is a 'dog on lead area'. This didn't deter any dog owners I saw today from letting their dogs roam free.

Normally I would be able to live and let live. But two particular dogs who came to chase the ducks really annoyed me. My little boy was almost barreled over by both of them but particularly by a very large dog. They were scanning around our stroller for food, running loose and generally had this dog lover afraid for my son and his fingers.

The owner also had a child, but also seemed less than capable of controlling his animals. He asked me if I was scared of the dogs and I pointed out my concern in them knocking my son over but he didn't offer to leash them after I mentioned this. I should have pointed the sign out but they are in clear view.

We left soon after which ruined a cold day destination for us.

In short. If there is a notice advising that dogs must be on a lead in a certain area, how on earth is that to be policed? Seems like a good idea, especially with the baby swan around. But it seems fairly useless if no one actually adheres to it.

tibby Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Well if that guy on his bike did his job properly

> he should be doing it but I'm afraid he is usless

> never around when you wAnt him

Bit harsh isn't it? What's your evidence unless you're in the park all day? Seen him around loads.

What DJKillaQueen said!

There is a sign at the pond treehugger. Two signs that I saw actually. It asks they be leashed for public enjoyment and mentioned the young swan that is in residence.

Not sure how long they've been up but certainly when I was there the majority of dogs were left unleashed.

There are specific areas where there are notices asking people to keep their dog on a lead, however some ignore this. Other areas may not carry a notice but surely it is a matterof common sense and judgement. The area around the cafe may not require dogs to be on lead but I imagine if there are lots of children milling around, it is probably sensible.

As ever, the fear is that certain members of the community get really hacked off and stringent dog control orders are broguht in as they have been in other boroughs.

Cygnet resembles the swan in every regard, but s/he has grubby brown-looking plumage which lasts well into 1st year of adulthood before being moulted.

If you saw a thing that looked like a white duck, it wouldn't have been the cygnet.

Ok thanks for the clarification. I knew about the others, but the pond area must be new - perhaps for the cygnet...

I quite agree that all dogs should be under control everywhere in the park, even in "non-leashed" areas and if the owner cannot control their dog, the dog should be leashed.

Folks, I can see plenty feel strongly about this, I've been a dog owner, and I also have two small grandchildren, so I can comprehend both sides.

Many people would be averse to reminding an owner to leash their dog.

We cannot count on any wardens being nearby when we need them, either.

Experience in other locales suggests the best thing is to ask the council for a change in the bye-laws, to say, e.g. leads MUST be worn, not discretionary,

or even

to ask for NO DOGS at all to be allowed in that section by the lakeside.

If the law isn't quite clear enough or enforced promptly there will be tensions.

So can I suggest writing to the council, if enough of us ask, this topic will have to be discussed.

I would ask this is not done. Dog Control orders can be pretty draconian and there are sections in the council that would probably be happy to see dogs barred from parks altogether unless on a lead at all times- this would be a step in that direction.

Why not try asking dog owners to put their dogs on a lead in areaas where there is clear signage requesting this. If enough people do it I suspect social embarassment would make most comply.

Personally I don't want dog owners to feel like they can't let their dogs off in the park. Definitely there needs to be more common sense used as to where the dogs are off leash.

I could have blatantly pointed at the sign and asked him to put his dog on a lead, but then if he'd said no, what's the next step? I'd already decided to leave.

If a dog owner can't see, read, or adhere to an obvious sign, OR use common sense to restrain their dog around small children, I don't think he would have listened to me.

Lots of people with toddlers have dogs. But just because your dog doesn't bite your child doesn't mean they won't bite others.

Again today a pack of about six dogs off their lead surrounded my friend and our children looking for lunch scraps. We were frozen while the owner yelled at them to leave the strollers alone.

Sounds like Peckham rye park is going to be free range to dogs with all toddlers safely hemmed into the children's area.

Dog are unpredictable and so are small children. But it would have only taken one of these dogs half a second to take off some fingers from my son if they'd thought he had food.

Unfortunately it's the owners who lack of control of their dogs, especially around toddlers, that puts me off the park despite the odd lovely owner allowing us to pat a calm and controlled dog. Much to my toddlers delight.

I have and will continue to ask other dog owners to put their dog on a lead where there are signs requesting this is done- the Japanese Garden and so on.

Some people do get grumpy and I have been accused of being interfering, but since I know my motivation is to avoid pressure for Dog Control Orders I feel justified. I have not yet had someone refuse to comply, especially when it is explained why I am asking them. I would urge all fellow dog owners to do the same, or we'll end up losing out big time.

I would also ask professional dog walkers to keep dogs leashed on walkways and signed request areas and only let dogs off in the open field areas. I think that for concerned parents with toddlers and for those who are scared of dogs it is pretty terrifying to be confronted by 4-6 dogs all offlead....even if they are the best beahved dogs in the world. The lead gives the other person a sense of safety...this is all about perception.

I do feel that dog owners have to wake up and smell the coffee a bit and see that if we don't try to change ourselves we may end up losing out in much bigger ways.

Ive often told people that areas are dog on lead ones and had no trouble- i too say its important not to give the anti dog lobby any fuel .mainly people have just been embarassed or confused... and yes please DON'T write to the council or it will become one of those runaway CPZ for dog type things.

As a dog owner who walks in Peckham Rye on a daily basis, I don't think it is unreasonable to ask people to keep their dogs on leash in certain areas but equally, I think the park would benefit from some clearly defined areas where there is an understanding that dogs can run free and where I'm not going to get shouted at if my pup comes up to say hello.

I have a 14 month hyperactive but loveable cockerpoo who has a knack for jumping in puddles and then going to greet strangers who often encourage him to jump up (something we obviously don't encourage. Both my husband and I try our best to avoid any areas where he's likely to cause trouble and stay clear of the duck pond and the gardens etc. Since he's young my dog is still learning how to behave. In order to do this though, he needs a place to run a play and wear himself out.

It can be difficult to predict where people are in the park. Most dog owners let their dogs run and play on the big area to the right of the park (opposite the Harris Boys Academy) as it's fenced off from the busy road and large enough for the dogs to have a good run. It seems that there is an understanding that this area is the doggy area but then someone sets up a picnic in the middle of this area and I turn into the crazy lady running across the field shouting after my dog who's made a b-line for the scotch eggs!

I can recount a story from when my dog was only about 7 months old when someone left the gate to the picnic area open. Our pup quickly dropped his ball and ran through the gate launching himself into the direction of a beautifully made birthday cake. Luckily I was fast enough to catch him before he landed smack in the middle of the cake but was then faced with a barrage of abuse. Seriously people. If you leave the gate open...