Summer babies club (due June, July, Aug 2013)

Hey all,

Joining this thread a bit late but I'm also due in July (12th but convinced will be late and interrupt our first wedding anniv on 21st!!) and had my scan on 2nd Jan at Kings so may have even sat near you Clofty! I've just been looking into NCT classes so came on here to see any feedback.

Would be great to meet some locals who are in the same boat and the 19th Feb works for me if that's ok?

Wow for the 2 of you expecting twins - congrats - I was watching the screen in anticipation incase that was the case for me too!

Looking forward to meet everyone!

Ginster

We did NCT classes the first time round and I made some very good friends out of it who I still see a lot of. However, I know a few people who have been in groups with people who did not live nearby or who were moving out of the area (or people they simply didn't get on with). So I guess it's luck in terms of the people you are with. I found the information provided pretty biased and not that useful to be honest. It was very focused on the birth and didn't really cover anything about how to care for a baby. One of the girls in the group was having a planned c-section and so it was kind of irrelevant. And in fact I had a complicated birth and so it ended up being irrelevant for me too. It depends on what you are after. NCT classes are expensive but I'm still glad I did it just because of the great people I met. Not sure if that helps anyone decide....it's only one opinion and I think they vary quite a lot depending on your instructor.

I agree with lstickler about the NCT classes. I did them with my first and met some great local parents-to-be. We are still in touch and there to support each other, babysit and just go out and relax! However, the course itself wasn't that useful even though I had an uncomplicated home birth (about as NCT-friendly a birth as they come). If you can meet local mums via the forum, that may well replace the need for an NCT class.

The NHS also run a great parenting class at the Dulwich Hospital site, so maybe try to book on that instead/as well.

Thats really helpful. It looks like I might be having a planned c section so that answers my question about nct classes! I worried it woukd be birth biased which wouldn't be useful for me and I'd be uncomfortable. I think I'll do the parenting class and also breast feeding class as well.

Hello all! Sorry I've been away last week on a belated honeymoon in Cornwall...we picked a great time, lovely weather haha! 19th at EDT works for me too so will put in diary. Glad everyone's scan went well...mine did too although was 3 days earlier than thought so going back this week for another look as little thing was a bit too little. Moved from 29th July EDD to 1st August.

Re the NCT we have decided to go with the local option and Ariadna, it seems a little more relaxed and the Mag is so close to us and it's a bit cheaper! So if any of you plump for that option, we shall see you there! It will be lovely to meet you all out of classes anyway. Hope you're all keeping warm in the snow!

Congrats Marlene! And Astrid83 Don't worry i'm sure all will be fine although I know what you mean. I've got to wait until 5 march for my second scan and so I'm kind of jealous (kings told me that they do the 20 week scan at 23 weeks which is why I've got to wait for ages-does that sound nuts to anyone else or is it normal?)

Re 2nd scan, Clofty from an earlier post we had our first scan on the same day and my 2nd is 8th March so Kings seem to do them at 22 weeks. I've got 3 more days to wait than you too ;)

I wouldn't worry.

Re the meet up, I have visions of us all sat in the EDT wearing our Baby On Board badges so we know its our group ;)

Ha...I was wondering how we would recognise each other..not sure I'll have a bump by then but if anyone does have a big bump that will give it away! Think I'm a good month behind most of you!

Astrid...yes I have a second scan today because baby was too little a few weeks ago to get all the right measurements but yours sounds like it's your proper 20 week scan. Not sure why I was booked in so early (was only 11 and 1 when I had first scan done) but I guess we get to see him/her again which will be nice. I couldn't stop laughing last time (odd reaction??!) so going to try and bottle the giggles as best I can today.

Hello Everyone

My partner and I are due to have our first baby on the 7th June, just had our 20 week scan and all was fine.... Have signed up to do NCT starting on the 11th May at the Lammas Green Community Hall if anyone else is going to that one?

Would love to come along and meet some other mum's to be on the 19th....Baby on Board badges sound like a good way to spot each other! Look forward to meeting some of you there.....

Furners78, congratulations! You are due 10 days before me, glad your scan went well.

I've not signed up for NCT yet, I was thinking maybe to do Adriana's one instead but have not talked about it with my husband yet. Hypnobirthing has been recommended to me as well, and I don't want to spend money on doing both, need to decide soon.

Ginster thanks! That makes me feel better. And I like the idea of the baby on board stickers-although I have noticed that while in the mornings my belly isn't bad by the evenings it has doubled in size! So I should be an easy spot!

Thanks @ astrid83....Its very exciting! The only thing I have to watch is that I was told that I have low lying placenta, so have to have another scan at 34 weeks to see if its moved, otherwise it might be a c-section....so will just have to wait and see!

My bump is clearly showing now...it suddenly just appeared after weeks of feeling fat and fatter in the evenings!

Snap..much earlier than you but I simply feel fat in the evenings, although mornings still look the same. I'm so starving all the time it's prob all the food just sitting there by the end of the day waiting to digest! Have always been the same weight so quite an odd feeling that clothes I've been wearing for years are a little tight...

Feeling exactly the same - went to Pilates last night with some very pregnant girls and felt a bit of a fraud, not tonight, I feel massive! I was going to try and get away from buying a Baby on Board but my boyfriend just came back with 2, one for each so will be wearing mine proudly on the 19th! Glad all seems to be going well with everyone xx