Cycle Access from Copleston/Oglander Roads to Grove Vale

ed_pete

As part of Southwark Council's Cleaner Greener Safer funding, I'm going to put forward a proposal to enable a cycle lane to be established at the junction of Copleston Road, Oglander Road and Grove Vale. Currently access from Copleston/Oglander is blocked to all traffic and half the junction covered in a wide pavement from when it used to be open to traffic both ways. I'm going to suggest that the Council remove part of the pavement to make way for a cycle lane so cyclists can exit on to Grove Vale legally and safely without climbing the pavement.

I'd like to hear from other cyclists who use this route as to whether or not they think this is a good idea.

file.php?5,file=692

I'm not suggesting doing away with the one way system, TJS - I just think there should be a better way out! Ondine Rd could be one way going the other way, for example. Anyone living at that end of Copleston has to go round the houses to get out of there in a car - up Bellenden or Adys Rd, or through the DKH estate. None of which is particularly easy to find if you don't know the area.

LostThePlot - I expect there would be far too many objections from residents of Coplestone and the surrounding roads to close the junction to cars, and to be honest I would have a great deal of sympathy with them.

Scotslass - you're right, cyclists do climb the pavement but as I said in my original post the point of the cycle lane would be to enable them to exit onto Grove Vale legally and safely without climbing the pavement.

ed_pete Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> LostThePlot - I expect there would be far too many

> objections from residents of Coplestone and the

> surrounding roads to close the junction to cars,

> and to be honest I would have a great deal of

> sympathy with them.

Fully agree, however I re-read my post an spotted an omited "only"

"might it not be wise to change that to no entry for motor vehicles ONLY be in order also?

I sometimes see some one dimensional fellow on a ugly fat black harleyD copy ( complete with sad leather satchel on the rack ) pootling through the junction the wrong way and causng problems with cars trying to turn into Copleston - would a bike lane envourage people like this ?

• 1 month later...
Excellent idea, Its not easy to navigate on the bike. Perhaps while youre about it you can get the council to build a permenant raised flower bed as the large flower tubs always seem to get wrecked by yobs.

I am a keen cyclist but let's face it - most cycle lanes in London are a waste of time. A total overhaul would be welcomed but spending ?X'000 on a "lane-ette" to get people over what is a very small stretch of pavement is largely pointless. It's not that much of a big deal to get over on a bike is it?! I for one would rather see the money spent elsewhere - like targeting the numerous people who think it's ok to walk their dogs through the area fouling the pavements and leaving it there for example....