Swanage, Dorset

Hi, we are thinking about a week in Swanage, Dorset later this year. Hoping that someone on here can recommend somewhere they have stayed before or places to avoid? Any top tips?

Would be nice to have somewhere close to the beach but also close to the towns, museums, child-friendly places etc. Had a terrible week in Cornwall where it rained all week and there was nothing for our (then) 2.5 year old to do. By the end of the week we were climbing the walls and longing for London. I know you can never guarentee sunshine in the UK. but it would be nice if there were other things we could do in the bad weather.

I'm afraid I haven't got any recommendations but I just saw this and couldn't resist saying that I spent all my childhood holidays in Swanage 30+ years ago and they were honestly the best holidays in the world. The beach there is just perfect for kids. I only remember one day of rain - I curled up and read The Borrowers from cover to cover. Happy days.... We stayed in a hotel called "The Pines" which I think still exists but hasn't moved on since the 1970's so that's probably not a good thing.....

Hi, I don't have specific accommodation recommendations (we have relatives fairly near to Swanage), but I've found Sawday's special places to stay a good source for bed & breakfasts and self-catering (http://www.sawdays.co.uk/).

I'd highly recommend the Swanage - Corfe steam railway. We've taken our now 4 year olds on there a few times and they've loved it. Corfe Castle is well worth an explore too.

Have a great break in Dorset!

Rob

Ah, I too spent a lot of my childhood there and lived there from 2004-2008 my parents still live there now. My mum and dad bought a huge b&b but converted back to a house. Mum will be converting the back to a studio flat over the next few months with the aim to have their first guests this summer.

Plenty of places to stay, everywhere is walking distance from town centre. We walk everywhere with our daughter. Cant say I've stayed in any accommodation there as when we didn't live there we always had a second home but I can get recommendations, my mum knows a lot of owners etc. PM me if you would like me to find out for you.

Plenty of places to visit too. Must go for tea or a ice cream float in the tea rooms under Corfe castle, and visit Corfe castle too by rail if possible. Have some locally made chocolate at the chocolate shop. Talk a walk around Durlston country park and take in the views, you may even see some dolphins!! Visit the pier, the lighthouse. A bit further out past Corfe you can visit Tyneham in Worbarrow bay, Dorset's lost village, ruined during the second world war. Bluepool? Monkey world? There is a charge for some of these places, or kind donation but worth a look in especially with kids. My daughter loves to try and find Harry Potter at Corfe castle, haha.

• 3 weeks later...

Absolutely love Dorset, and Purbeck in particular. Ditto wonderful childhood memories.

Do you camp? I hear what you say about UK weather but we've always camped in Dorset (when I was a child and now with my LOs). There are some great sites down there. Apart from one occasion when we tried out "posh" camping at Featherdown Farm near Corfe Castle (see below), we've always borrowed my parent's gigantic trailer tent. But I think there are some very good palces with cabins ready made for you, if you don't have access to a good tent with all the modern creature comforts.

But whether you camp or not, I would definitely say do NOT be tempted by Featherdown Farm.

• 2 weeks later...

We go to Swanage a lot as our family has a tiny flat there, and can recommend the soft play at Putlake Adventure Farm for wet days. It is a petting farm so realyl good in the spring when you can feed lambs and kids. and good outdoor play area too. Take a picnic or flask - food and drink is poor in the actual soft play area. 10 minute bus ride from Swanage. Actually it's pretty dusty and tired too but the kids really like it...!

Absolutely love Swanage and the surrounding areas of Studland Bay - and as someone else said, lots of campsites there too. And the beach in the summer - beautiful.

Looking forward to our visits this year!

We've been going to Swanage 2 or 3 times a year. It is great in that it's just that little bit further to get to, so doesn't feel like London-on-Sea. Great campsites, especially Woodyhyde and Downshay. Woodyhyde has the steam train running along its edge, so is great for the kids, and Downshay you can walk to the steam train station and get in to Swanage or Corfe. Steam train runs late in to the evening, too, so you don't need the car! Stunning views of Corfe Castle from Downshay. Tom's Field is great, but not easy to get on as it's mentioned in Cool Camping. Loads to keep kids entertained and Studland beach offers shallow, safe water to swim. Fabulous walks all around the place. If you go early enough, recommend the chain ferry across from Sandbanks to Purbeck. Better than the drive around from Poole.

Feel free to PM if you want any other recommendations. We know the area like the back of our hand!

We've been as a family several times and always book a Flat on 'Burlington Road' which is about a 15 minute walk into the centre of Town but ensures our children have enough peace and quiet of an evening to fall asleep as the Town is always busy of an evening with Holiday makers eating out etc.

The Beach is a two minute walk from the Flat and the Flat's we stay in offer a Parking space which is great as parking can be a problem, at least it has been in our experience.

Ally

hi

we stayed here just before christmas http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/swanage/229285

my grandparetns live near swanage but its now too much for us to stay there

4 bedrooms - 2 doubles 2 twins

they can provide travle cot and high chair theres amini tv room off the kitchen with playstation dvd player plus a main lounge

its about 10mins walk to the beach

really helpful owners - even left us a bottle of wine and tin of roses as we were there just before christmas

would definitey go back in the summer.