light the blue touch paper...

mockney piers

I don't see the point of saying it either but there's nothing wrong with being black or white and being proud of it.

If I walk into a pub in Highbury and proudly shout out "I'm a Chelsea fan and proud of it!" You'd have to question my motives and what do you think the reaction would be? Would they understand my proudness and pat me on the back or think "You cocky Chelsea scum" and eject me from the pub?

However in same pub if I'd walked in and bought myself a pint, got talking to a few locals and after a while let it slip I'm a Chelsea fan, sure there's be some banter but also a lot more respect.

lozzyloz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why should someone's colour be something to be

> proud of as if it's a badge? Surely it's WHO you

> are. Then people would be less inclined to fight

> because somebody says that white is better than

> black or whatever. I don't feel my colour is

> something that I need to be proud of and say "Hey,

> look at me". But if I'm in a situation where a

> group are making their colour a reason to

> discriminate against me I feel uncomfortable. Same

> applies to religion, gender, creed, sexuality and

> football team.

I certainly don't wear my colour as a "badge" but I don't see why it would be ok for one sction of society to proclaim they are proud of their colour and not for another section. I am what I am and proud of it, an part of what I am is being white. I'm also proud of being a parent, that's not a "badge" and I'm proud of my Turkish Cypriot roots again that is not a "badge", and I don't see how saying I'm proud of these things would make another section of society feel discriminated against. But we are all entitled to our opinions.

lozzyloz Wrote:

> What exactly is involved in being White? Are there

> White things a black man can't do?

I think you're missing the point here. I've not said that, I've asked if people think it's ok to say they are proud of being white in the same way black people are proud of being erm.......black. At what point did I hint or suggest that one section was unable to do things the other section couldn't. Please help me out here cos I don't see what you're getting at.

I nkow where you're coming from Atila, and there's no way you should be ashamed for being white.

And if you want to say your proud, that's great. I sure ain't going to complain.

I'm interested to know if anyone here would be offended.

My point, personally speaking, was there's nothing specifically about being white that I'm proud of, but that's just me really.

Thinking about it, if I'm not going to take personal responsibility and feel shame for Spain's devastation of the New World, the Inquisition, the bloodthirsty campaigns in The Low Countries, General Franco etc as they weren't really my fault, then can I take personal pride in Goya, Velazquez, Rodrigo, Flamenco, the Alhambra, the orange laden squares of Seville, The perennial underachievers that are the national football team?

I can take pride in my mum's Tortilla Espa?ola though, I'm pretty comfortable with that.

Atila that is exactly the point. For either colour to go round shouting about being proud of their colour doesn't really achieve much positiveness.

We (you and me) share a lot more in common than the difference being the colour of our skin. I am also proud of being a parent, my ethnic origin, my background, my profession, the list goes on, but I don't have to wear the T-shirt, fly the banner or shout it out from the top of the roof.

What is more important IS BEING WHO YOU ARE.

I grew up with Jamaican and Guyanese families and it was only when I was around 12 or 13 I realised I wasn't black! I'm actually an olive brown but it wasn't the skin colour it was the culture.

I am what I am and proud of it, an part of what I am is being white.

White pride is symbolised by Statues around Westminster (and other city centres), Paintings of Generals in the National Gallery and other such visual shows of power and authority. It's clearly demonstrated by all the white captains of industry, bishops, MP's and media moguls we see on the TV. There is no need for any specific act by any regular white person in the UK to celebrate white achievement.

This is not the case for other ethnicities.

citizenED Wrote:

> White pride is symbolised by Statues around

> Westminster (and other city centres), Paintings of

> Generals in the National Gallery and other such

> visual shows of power and authority. It's clearly

> demonstrated by all the white captains of

> industry, bishops, MP's and media moguls we see on

> the TV. There is no need for any specific act by

> any regular white person in the UK to celebrate

> white achievement.

>

> This is not the case for other ethnicities.

I think this is what's known as a sweeping generalistaion. So nothing commendable, or worthy of civic pride has ever been achieved by a white person in the UK, ever, only by people from other ethnicities. I won't even begin to say I vehemently disagree, because it's not worth it. Let's just agree to disagree.

mockney piers Wrote:

> There are about ten trillion Mandela Bars in

> student unions nationwide.

> At Keele we renamed ours in honour of Frankie

> Howerd after he died.

So - where did you live Horwood, Lindsay or Hawthorns then ?

or a squalid little rented house in Silverdale ?