I pledge allegiance...

david_carnell

ChavWivaLawDegree Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I got kicked out of Brownies at the age of 8 for

> refusing to swear an oath to the Queen. I told my

> daughter to just pretend when she went to Brownies

> tho, so she's learned it's ok to lie courtesy of

> oath swearing and her republican mummy!

I know this post was ages ago and you've all moved on, but I've only just seen it and it made me laugh.

CWALD, my mum compromised her principles and let us go to Brownies, but only if we also went to Woodcraft Folk. Woodcraft Folk was mixed sex (yuk - boys!) and wasn't state or church affilated. I loved Brownies, because it was all about pixies and fairies and hated Woodcraft Folk, because there was a boy called Martin who used to chase me and try and kiss me. It wasn't until years later I thought to admire my mum's principles and compromise.

I've only heard bits and pieces about this today, not the whole proposal, but it sounds complete nonsense. Trying to correct complex social problems by forcing people to partake in meaningless, americanised rituals. What my sensible mother would call fiddling while Rome burns.

Do you think things are heading towards Germany before WWII/Rome before it's fall etc? Mother of a recession on the horizon, so crank up the patriotism and xenophobia, spy on all the 'citizens' and homogenise(sp?) culture under a centrally controlled moralism while excessive sexual exposure and hedonistic consumerism keeps the plebs busy.

I'm curious. Are people against this because they are anti-monarchist or because it's an "unhelpful" solution.

Maybe a modernised version of national service? E.g. 3 months community service/volunteer work, survival skills. Is this really an illiberal thing to suggest?