How's the snow?

emza78

Thanks for starting this thread - yes please East Dulwich residents who are actually in the area during the day or travelling to/from the area please keep us updated!

I work in the City and know in previous years that buses were terminated at Camberwell due to Dog Kennel Hill being impassable and the trains being stopped......... don't want to be stranded at work!

It's falling consistently but not heavily, so IF it stays like this I imagine the main roads will be fine as traffic will wash it all away. It's not pouring just very light but continual snow which is settling on pavement/parked cars.

I am just popping out so I may be sometime.

Accuweather is pretty good for a very detailed, localised hour by hour forecast/report http://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/east-dulwich/se22-9/current-weather/714712

Light snow currently (11.40) and i think the peak is supposed to be at about midday then light snow for rest of the day.

Roads look ok but i would say that (ungritted) pavements will be slippery if not now, then soon.

I'd be surprised if there are problems later today (road or rail) as there is not a huge build-up or any drifting, but as previous poster said, tomorrow could be a different story!

I've just come back from doing my weekly shop in ED (thought I'd get it in today in case we get a lot!). Main roads are clear (Lordship Lane), as are the pavements (just wet) in those areas. There is a little snow settling on roads and pavements that have a lesser degree of traffic have a little snow (such as Northcross at the moment). Side road pavements (I'm on Oakhurst Grove) are quite slippery due to the fine nature of the snow - I wore my walking boots and it was OK though. I suspect that the side roads will be quite slipper later on though, and don't plan to take my car out today. HTH

Just got back home, about an inch maybe on untouched surfaces. My road (landcroft) hasnt had much traffic so the road is covered but not deeply, I guess if it freezes though it doesn't matter how deep it will be as will still be hard to drive on. My buggy was slipping around a bit on the pavement of crystal palace road.

Hi all,

I was driving down crystal palace road about 25mins ago - as you may know its a relatively busy road, but there was just about enough snow falling to cover the car tracks. Had a small loss of grip as I hit the top end near lordship lane.

I drove home via lordship lane which was absolutely fine.

Snow is still pretty heavy out there though.

Cars definitely losing traction slightly on side-roads. Just witnessed minor scrape between a car and a UPS lorry on Landcroft, due to car sliding into its path. No injuries, and embarrassed faces on both sides. Go slower than you'd expect to need to on the side roads if you're moving your car.

Just received the following email from the Lib Dems in case it is any help to people

East Dulwich Snowy Weather Update - Friday 18 January.

The weather forecast is that it will snow all day Friday 18 January and settle. That it will keep snowing all day Saturday and Sunday with minus temperatures. So the snow is likely to stay. Monday the forecast is for snow but temperatures hovering just above freezing so during the day we should see some melting.

Elderly. If you have elderly family or neighbours please check that they're alright. If you're worried about anyone contact Southwark Council's Older People team - [email protected] 020 7525 3324

Roads. The Council highway contractors have been out gritting roads as per the winter plan: using their lorry gritters. We're also fortunate that we have a large number of hand gritting machines (80 bought 2009) and unlike the last two winters we've been assured they're out and about gritting pavements. IF you think an area has been missed or is dangerous please contact me immediately - [email protected] or 07900 227366.

Schools. All East Dulwich schools are open and as of 12.30 today were not planning to close early. NB. Goose Green is closed to pupils on Monday 21st for a staff training day.

Transport. TfL report they have robust winter weather plans but ask that you thoroughly plan all journeys before setting out.

London Overground and tubes running well with problem limited to northern end of the Northern Line and Overground into Euston.

Buses. No specific delays for bus routes P13, 12 40, 176, 185, 197, 484. we've asked for the road works at East Dulwich Road/Peckham Rye to be suspended to relieve congestion during the snowy weather and before the road become icy.

Trains. First Capital Connect have a broken train at Blackfriars causing delays to services via Herne Hill, Denmark Hill, Peckham Rye, Nunhead. Southern trains into East Dulwich are running an altered time table - still trains running just not as many.

^^Or alternatively don't drive.

Most people don't have the proper tyres for this weather and few seem to have a clue how to drive in these conditions anyway.

By not using your car you will make it safer for you and other road users.

Snow will be mostly gone by tomorrow.