dr boo (Lounged)

woodie

Given that nobody "needs" most of the things we spend our spare cash on, that line of argument isn't really relevant

You pretty much know from the outset if Dr Boo is going to sell you something you want or don't want - so it then comes down to service.

Price-wise I don't think any boutique size store is going to match online or bigger stores in malls - but we can all race to the bottom-line and end up like the Seven Sisters Rd in Tottenham if we really want. No thanks. I don't want to just open my wallet either and let people help themselves - and if I thought small shops like this were making a fortune I would avoid. But it's probably "doing alright" at best.

Service wise - it's a mixed bag. I know what people mean about feeling as if they are followed and it can be a bit inimidating - but having been in a few times now I find them all really chatty and relaxed. I don't think they have changed - it's my perception which has

Doodles because its me its a nasty unprofessional attack, if i were a resident or a shopper then i am expressing an opinion!!! So what, i am explaining how trading standards works, it was not nasty in any way or form, you dont like it, fine, i like you have a right to express an opinion.

I think this forum is only meant for residents not for retailers or local business owners, we are invited to express an opinion and when we do, we are attacked. So from now on i am no longer posting because I have had enough of one rule for you, one rule for me.Good luck and yes i am from Healthmatters,

Monica

You've said you wouldn't post before - you're always welome back tho

If you were a resident or shopper then you would most likely get a very similar reply - plenty of us residents and shoppers are at the shap end of some attacks. I'm not sure why you say it's not meant for local business owners. Several business owners are regular posters on here and don't seem to feel excluded

Opinions are great but come on "dr poo" is a bit childish regardless of wether it comes from a resident/shopper/retailer

does Healthmatters sell anything for thin skin? I need some myself sometimes...

I have no love or hatred for Dr Boo but will say thins: piling up things by the cash register can be a very US customer service trick so that you don't have to carry items around the shop. Not only does this make you more comfortable, you are also free to browse, and therefore buy, more. (And I expect it doesn't do harm when protecting stock, but suspect this is possibly a secondary thing?)

blimey. slightly going off this thread. it occured that when you buy something and are told you could have tampered with it , because it isnt in a sealed plastic bag, the other side of the coin is..when youve bought it, how do you know another customer hasnt opened it sniffed it or opened it when on the shelf? (as they often do in that kind of shop).

Seems to me, rather than lamely pointing at the little sign and refusing to the face of the person who the gift was for to exchange a clearly unopened non cosmetic they have in fact put customers off.

Oh and to whoever it was on the other page suggested i was being cheap in buying a 20 quid bubble bath, it was a bad month.All bills no wins. I'd love to have bought an open top lotus elan. Funny put down though. we had a good laugh on it.

Monica, my understanding is that no shop is obliged to offer you a refund or exchange if you simply don't like what you've bought (rather than its being unsuitable for purpose or faulty in some way) so Dr Boo isn't contravening any trading standards regulations.

If packaging has been opened then they can't sell it on - it's a small shop and that therefore becomes a loss to them. I've had returns on toiletries / cosmetics refused in large shops such as Selfridges for just that reason (and I think their bottom line can stand it a bit more than Dr Boo's)

For the sake of goodwill, (and avoiding such bad PR as has turned up on the forum) it might have been expedient to offer an exchange anyway. At the very least, the staff member should have explained better why they couldn't exchange. I agree with Sean on this one - there've been times that I thought they were snooty, but I don't think they are - I just think that not all of them are very good at customer service, and that's probably why no explanation was offered. When I've talked to anyone in there, they're really chatty and friendly, and pretty much everyone working there joins in.

woodie - you're right - we did rather meander of your original point - sorry

They could have been more flexible but equally they have a policy.

It's drawn it to my attention so whilst I'm happy to buy stuff for myself in there I will think twice about buying a "surprise" for someone lest they don't like it

• 2 months later...

A quick big up for Anya the beauty therapist at Dr Boo.

I am quite a fan of massages and have had many in lots of top notch places. I have just now had a massage with Anya....Oh my! It was without doubt the best I've had. A really deep massage. I feel about 5" taller and totally floaty.

Highly recommended.(tu)

Monica, I will always buy my Dr Hauschka products from your shop; your smiling 'Dr Hauschka' rep is a most personable lady! You are a nice friendly and forthright lady yourself, and Trevor's a legend. He's so-o-o-o strange, and rather socially gauche...but the shop wouldn't be the same without him.

There are not many retailers who I would point out as particularly 'friendly', but you, Chris (North Cross grocers) and pharmacist in Macy's are notable.

On topic: - I have not found the Dr Boo staff 'snooty', rather they seem to be bored student types, doing a bit of shop work in their spare time. I used to do it myself when at Uni (shop work) and it is really boring. The Boo staff have never 'followed' me around in the shop; in fact I am always ignored - probably because I was terse and laconic when they badgered me on my first visit - which is as I like it in shops like that.

Still, the shop looks 'pretty' but is yet another of those shops a stone's throw from my house, which is aimed at people with more money than sense.