Seen Anyone Famous In East Dulwich?

fish

Hm maybe your right about the not bothering... but then again JT is dead.

But then again, the poodle parlour on Bellenden Road/Danby Street was turned into a Butchers shop for Bob Hoskins, and last year the shop fronts on Bellenden rd were converted to fast food restuarants for a day for a filming of Jamie Oliver (who wore a fat suit for the event)

I dont mean to be picky but the buthers shop was for micheal caine and it was not the podel parlour but the coffee shop next door. They used the shop opposite (now completly changed) as the funeral parlour that tom courtneys character ran. Bob was in the movie though. Also featured was the exterior of the wishing well (front also now changed scince filming) although it was another one used for interior. In fact most of the film was done in Bellendon road area, peckham and east dulwich boarders.

Clare,

"Exactly where did you see Harry Carpenter? Definitely one for the observer book of celebs"

Harry used to get his hair cut at Segars,(opposite the Plough)I think he lived close to Dulwich village,but haven't seen him for a few years.Definitely a local though!

Dear Bony fido

It was Mr Crash who saw Harry Carpenter,alas,not me. I would have been tongue tied but would have tried to say something, however naff..........one of my mini lifetime regrets is once sharing a lift (sadly not in East Dulwich) with Peter Graves AKA Jim in Mission Impossible and not daring to say "Your mission Jim ,should you choose to accept it " because I just couldn't do it!!

As a man totally underwhelmed by today's definition of celebrity (I mean really, does anyone actually celebrate Jade?) represented by so many androgynous goblins, I found myself quite awestruck last week having dinner on a table next to Richard Stilgoe! It wasn't in east dulwich sadly.

Harry Carpenter and Peter Graves are equally up there.

One day, whilst in an elevator at the Grosvenor House Hotel, the doors swung open and Peter Graves stepped in - and yes, those immortal words were uttered - politely acknowledged, by the great man, with courtesy, grace and a lovely smile -

even though, he must have heard it all a thousand times before.

Harry Carpenter I can tell you is a member of the Dulwich & Sydenham Golf Club and has lived in and around the area for as long as I can remember. He was at my dad's funeral last year. Lovely bloke. I've seen and indeed met a number "celebs" over years in Dulwich, the most recent sighting was Saffron from Republica in The Drum a few weeks back, who I got to have a quick chinwag with. Seemed very nice and friendly and down to earth too, which is always a good sign.