Franklins - The Best Breakfast in Britain?

Lillibet Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Went to 'the lane' instead, was cheaper

> and very nice : )

I went to McDonalds once and I discovered it was cheaper than the Gourmet Burger Kitchen.

There is only one True Master in the breakfast world and it comes in tins...whouda thought it? Soya sausages that taste like prime cuts of rare breed pork, a strange burger shaped monstrosity of the finest Wagyu Beef fillet all floating in a delicious sea of plump tomato sauced beanage. This isnt just food...this is a huger break.

• 3 weeks later...

For me the make or break(fast) element of the meal is the tea. A bag in a cup is lazy and crap. It has to be made with leaf tea brewed to builder's strength 10 (1 being too weak to fall out of the cup 10 being capable of weatherproofing a garden fence). Preferably prepared in a large metal teapot.

So what does Franklins do?

I'll concur with you on that front HonaloochieB. Tea is highly important when having a massive fry-up and you'll be needing at least two or three mug fulls as well. Not having sampled to so-called delights of a Franklins full English breakfast myself though but I'm keen to try but I prefer to make my own or head for the nearest greasy spoon.

On the subject of breakfasts, whatever happened to Crosse & Blackwell's London Grill?

A tin of beans with sausages, bacon and kidney. The kidney being prepared in such a way that it groke up into the beans.

Heated up atop a thick slice of toast with a fried egg on top it was a breakfast fit for a London mayor.

Perhaps BoJo could revive it.

Could I make mention of Rock Steady Eddie's at Camberwell. Not exactly tip-top in the hygiene stakes, the furniture is in need of some attention but double sausage, double egg, chips, a bottle of Fanta and a cup of proper tea for four pounds and five pence is really good stick to your ribs breakfast value in my corpulent opinion.

Plus some fine if greasy memorabilia around the walls (the Elvis/Liberty poster is a winner), and the opportunity to get acquainted with some Maudsley out-patients make it my Wednesday morning breakfast venue of choice.

Thanks for that Malcolm, I've never eaten the set breakfast there but the combo I described above is spot on, the chips are great.And for music fans I remember an NME article where Basement Jaxx were interviewed there. The proprieter Sol looks after the less fortunate and will always give a cup of tea or a breakfast on the slate.

And no, no other tinned breakfast compares to the original London Grill, the packaging lacks the dignity of the original red tin, there are too many ingredients and the beans lack the underlying kidney taste.

Jeremy Wrote:

> London Grill... maybe the best thing to come out

> of a tin EVER.

But have you ever tried individual sized tinned STeak & KIdney Pudding? Fondly known in the Royal Navy as "Babies Heads".

Then there was sauteed kidneys on fried bread "S*** on a raft", Sausage, Bacon, Fried Egg and Tinned tomatoes "Train Smash", circular Spam FRitters "Elephant's Footprints" and my favourite, Black Pudding - with a totally non PC title.

david_carnell Wrote:

> Are you ex-forces MM?

>

> Spam seems to be endemic in the cuisine served to

> all three.

An old sailor that's me. And yes - spam was endemic - fried, stewed, cold in sandwiches, cubed in rice (closest we cam to a chinese meal).