Franklins - The Best Breakfast in Britain?

So this morning we decided to treat ourselves to our first ever Saturday brunch in Franklins, having offloaded the kids for a night. As we ordered the full English, a guy burst in to say he had just read the review in The Guardian about how this is one of the best breakfasts in the country. We grabbed the copy from the bar, and there it was in the Guardian Breakfast supplement, Franklins the London breakfast "to die for". It's a very strange experience to eat your breakfast while you are reading a review of it on your lap.

Anyway, we can confirm that it is a really good breakfast, and it only happens on Saturdays from 10am.

I'm sure Franklins can handle the bacon, sausage & black pud end of the breakfast - but the make or break for me is the scrambled eggs - are they creamy, still runny and .. just .. cooked, ideally served on a fried slice (cooked in bacon fat). I hate scrambled eggs that are like a slice of sponge cake.

Well, that's it isn't it..! The cat's well and truly out of the bag. It was a little secret only known to a masonistic group of breakfast afficionado's; ah well, share and share alike eh? Great for Rod, nightmare for the rest of us trying to get a seat, and you can imagine the horrendous traffic jams inside with all those prams!

spadetownboy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> scrambled eggs with a fried breakfast,its like

> eating a burger without ketchup, fried eggs are

> the only thing.

Exactly bloody right!

No disrespect to Franklins but IMO this cannot be a serious review - either that or the Grauniad's journalistic standards have hit rock bottom - still it did make me smile.

"...veritable goblets of fine hot coffee that soothed the soul.." (decaf then ?)

"..the gentlement chefs...busied themselves like ants; carefully constructing our food..."

"...these Rembrants of the breakfast world.."

"...the grilled tomato did that rare thing of shedding any vegetable confusion..."

and best of all

"...the bacon that tasted as if the pig had slept under a duvet upon a cloud."

Unbelievable

ed_pete Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> No disrespect to Franklins but IMO this cannot be

> a serious review - either that or the Grauniad's

> journalistic standards have hit rock bottom -

> still it did make me smile.

>

> "...veritable goblets of fine hot coffee that

> soothed the soul.." (decaf then ?)

> "..the gentlement chefs...busied themselves like

> ants; carefully constructing our food..."

> "...these Rembrants of the breakfast world.."

> "...the grilled tomato did that rare thing of

> shedding any vegetable confusion..."

>

> and best of all

>

> "...the bacon that tasted as if the pig had slept

> under a duvet upon a cloud."

>

>

> Unbelievable

thanks for sharing that

i particular liked the bit about 'already aware that this could be breakfast history in the making'