Italian Restaurant Recommendations

Ali56

We went to Le Querce for the first time last night. Starters and mains were lovely, not spectacular but really good quality food with nice flavours, service was great too. What completely bowled us over were the home made ice creams and sorbets - i'd read somewhere about their ice creams, but wasn't prepared for that, what an amazing surprise. Pumpkin & Amaretto ice cream, Strawbery & balsamic vinegar as well as Pear & Pernod sorbets were absolutely stunning. Can't believe we've only just discovered it. Well worth the trip over the hill.

Sorry to be blunt, honest and impartial here, but Si Mangia on Forest Hill Road is average and convenient at best.

Years ago, when it first opened, it showed promise. But I'll never forget the owners words in those early days... "I'm surprised there isn't another Italian restaurant around here...so people will have to come to us."

The last two times we went as a family, trying desperately to give them another chance, even my teenage sons (who tend to devour everything) remarked that Sainsburys pasta was better than this.

They are overpriced and lazily relying on a captive audience.

Thanks for other recommendations, I will try those.

Good morning,

This is the owner of Si Mangia, just don't recall ever saying anything of the sort. In any case, it would be a ridiculous comment given that we are a London based restaurant! I don't force anybody to eat in my restaurant and if they don't want to, there are many Italian places in the vicinity.. In fact, if you are still by some miracle one of the 'captives' still eating in my place, please make yourself known, and I will be happy to pass on the Tfl number. I'm sure they can advise you on how you can travel outside of the e.dulwich, honor oak area

Normally I wouldn't respond, but seems strange that your first and only post on this site was born out of such a disliking for my place. Also, dry pasta is de cecco and fresh pasta, we make on site.

Overpriced?

I say no more.

Si Mangia

Of course you wouldn't recall. Why should you? It was a throwaway comment many years ago, you had just opened, your son had just been born I think. At the time we enjoyed the fact that your restaurant had the family connection to Lorenzo's in Crystal Palace.

Your sarcasm, vitriol and disdain rather proves my point regarding your attitude towards customers. This was never intended to be personal, I was just following the thread and gave my honest opinion based on years on experience with the food and pricing at Si Mangia.One could argue that a better man would have taken on board his customers comments to ensure better service in the future. You have chosen not to do so.

I will not justify my families perfectly valid comments any further. If you note, I am not the only person who has said your restaurant was just 'pretty average.'

I bid you good day.

have always enjoyed the meals and excellent service I've had at both Si Mangia and Il Mirto. Only been once to Il Giardino in Peckham, it was ages ago, if I recall correctly they had an interesting Sardinian menu.

personally wouldn't give much credence to posters who use threads such as this as an opportunity to put the boot in to a local business. the OP asked for good recommendations, not which ones to avoid.

I have been an intermittent regular at Si Mangia since it opened - dining here alone, as a couple with my wife and with friends and family. I have never been dissatisfied - occasionally service can be slow if its very busy but thats about the only (mild) criticism I'd make. It has, to my mind, positioned itself perfectly - it does not aspire to be a destination top end gastro restaurant, it is a very fine local restaurant that delivers value for money Italian food in a friendly and welcoming way.

Late home? - go for a bowl of pasta and a glass of wine, change from ?20. Grandad's birthday? - take the whole family from 8 to 80 along and enjoy a friendly, casual meal with no time pressures and still not break the bank.

Si Mangia is somewhere I'll miss when I move away to Cornwall.

Si Mangia is the one restaurant in ED to which my partner and I return time and again, for midweek quick meals and special occasions and to which we introduce friends, who in turn become regulars... I think it holds its own against *any* restaurant in its price range.

I have used this restraunt since it opend found the food and service good service can be a bit slow when very ramo but why is it all ways ramo might be somethink to do with a lot of people liking it.

Bob S

Archived