Post not being delivered by Royal Mail

gazzam

Having had no post this week, today I received 40 items, 16 Xmas cards (the earliest posted at end November, of those I could check a post mark) 12 subscription or club magazines - the earliest again an issue dated 26th November, 7 catalogues or sales brochures and handful of 'business letters, including membership cards and a dunning letter (wrongly dunning as the bill was paid months ago!)

My Christmas cards now stand at 70 (including hand delivered) only 10 down from my expectation. With the strikes these may not have been even posted. [i had only 4 delivered by post before 25th December).

The postie delivering the batch (not one I'd seen before locally) said there would be another 'big' delivery tomorrow. 3 of the subscription magazines were this weeks (!!!) - but the only Private Eye I received was the 'Christmas' issue.

The good news, I suppose, is that they appear to be catching up. The bad news is of course that they had to. As much of the missing post pre-dates the concerted strikes it's fair to assume that this was not, despite their protestations, actually strike related.

Was Helen Hayes, a planning consultant, still a Councillor when Southwark granted planning permission to convert the old ED sorting office into luxury flats?

Helen Hayes was, and still is, our MP, not a councillor.

She was extremely active in trying to get Royal Mail to withdraw its plans to close the ED sorting office, including coming to a demonstration outside it (which a mere handful of local people turned up to, such was the lack of interest in the matter at the time, despite the obvious consequences of the closure).

Where on earth have you got your bizarre information from?

Funny how in the midst of the disaster that Royal Mail is they can still deliver Hello Fresh and Pizza menus but are incapable of delivering what people want, their post not this junk mail they continue to deliver.

I doubt these menus are being delivered by Royal Mail!

Sue - Helen was in fact a councillor for College ward from 2010 until 2016 when she resigned as councillor 10 months after becoming our elected MP. The previous poster is just attempting to smear and undermine Helen by innuendo. I think we’re lucky to have her as our MP.

Funny how in the midst of the disaster that Royal Mail is they can still deliver Hello Fresh and Pizza menus but are incapable of delivering what people want, their post not this junk mail they continue to deliver.

Yes they are, yesterday we had a roofers leaflet delivered with our post by our regular postman.

I would also be interested in knowing the answer to this as waiting for a vital piece of mail.

I imagine there are just heaps of mail jumbled together at the sorting office.

I also fear that one way to manage a huge backlog and effectively catch up is for a lot of older mail to just go missing forever, perhaps "falling off the back of a lorry", as an RM Customer Services person helpfully suggested to me.

I have gone to Highshore Road sorting office twice to pick up mail - once I was able to get a couple of items, the other I came away empty handed.

I think it depends upon how busy they are and how helpful the person at the counter feels. The time I got nothing was a couple of months ago and I was told there was a large amount of unsorted mail which would make it too time consuming to find an item.

Yes they are, yesterday we had a roofers leaflet delivered with our post by our regular postman.

Royal Mail is paid by some businesses to deliver flyers, but I think you will find that the vast majority of flyers through your door are not delivered by Royal Mail.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope I am not speaking too soon, but my post seems to have returned to virtually normal 😮

Tracked items are arriving on time, and I seem to be receiving up to date copies of magazines etc.

I'm not aware of anything I'm missing which I should have had (though obviously I only know about things I'm expecting).

Anyone else? Have they finally cleared the backlog?

• 3 weeks later...