New Street Furniture Dulwich Village

smooch

I wonder whether anyone has asked either Yinka Ilori (the artist and creator of the pavilion, now dismantled) whether he is happy for his artwork to be treated in this way or the Dulwich Picture Gallery, who commissioned a pavilion and now see it as occasional furniture in a location for which it wasn't designed, and a purpose for which it was not intended if they are happy for this somewhat cavalier re-use?

Or doesn't Southwark really care?

This.

Do the Rainbow seats (will our councillors appear on them dressed as Zippy and Bungle during the grand opening?) stay once the consultation has been completed and local residents have had their say on the proposed designs or are the council, ahem, pre-empting the result of their consultation and installing the new design ahead of time?

Given the new seating doesn’t feature in either of the permanent designs I think we can assume it’s temporary.

Do the Rainbow seats (will our councillors appear on them dressed as Zippy and Bungle during the grand opening?) stay once the consultation has been completed and local residents have had their say on the proposed designs or are the council, ahem, pre-empting the result of their consultation and installing the new design ahead of time?

Given the new seating doesn’t feature in either of the permanent designs I think we can assume it’s temporary.

If that is the case it does beg the question why have they been installed and at what cost. The council seems to be happy to fritter money on follies such as this whilst at the same time bemoan a lack of funding for essential services etc.

Local sentiment seems to be very much that these additions are laughable and the council has lost all sense of reality when it comes to this junction. Many of our neighbours are so angry with the way the current consultation is being run as they realise the council gives no consideration to the views of those who dare voice an opinion other than the one they hold. The fact they are wasting money adding these items at the beginning of yet another corrupt consultation process just feels like them flicking the v's at many of their constituents.

I think you will find the complaints are because the council was supposed to be consulting local people on what they wanted to be in the square and yet they have gone ahead and started amending the square before the consultation has started properly.

They are also complaining because the consultation offers people two versions of the same option, both of which incorporate the measures they have already started installing....they complain because the council has seemingly decided what happens with the square after engaging only with self-interest groups and are retrospectively engaging with wider groups as a tick boxing exercise to validate the plans they are installing.

That is not what they promised us would happen. That is why people are angry. They have lied to us - again.

P.S. Oh and whilst the materials may be cheap I am sure the installation of the children's TV set seats did not come cheaply.

I think the enhancements are great - it is a real pleasure to see families/ young people enjoying them today. In the middle of a cost of living crisis, it gives visitors and locals alike the option to meet, sit out and enjoy the lovely neighbourhood and unseasonably good weather without having to spend £3 on a coffee. The future plans look even better - I love the ambition of creating play areas and public art.

I’ve been through the square a few times this weekend and every time there have been lots of people benefitting from having somewhere to sit. Great it’s so close to Au Ciel, they were taking customer’s coffees and cakes over to people wishing to sit on the benches.