Cornwall with a toddler

Morning all,

I'm trying to plan a summer holiday in Cornwall-DH has given me until the end of the day or he's "just going to sort it out" (gulp!)

I'm trying to get my head around the different coasts and where the best place would be for soft, sandy beaches without a million steps to climb up and down, with non-surf type water. Does this exist?!

Also, we've left it far too late to book any of the amazing guardian / telegraph / mumsnet recommended stay-on-a-farm type holidays as the good ones have been booked for a year...but if anyone knows of any similar types that perhaps didn't make the infamous lists, please let me know! Love the idea of staying on a farm...but also close to a nice sandy beach with rock pools. Too much to ask?!!

hoppermum Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Morning all,

> I'm trying to plan a summer holiday in Cornwall-DH

> has given me until the end of the day or he's

> "just going to sort it out" (gulp!)

Let him and enjoy the sun instead :)

(sorry, I haven't got anything more helpful to add!).

Little White Alice - stunning eco lodges near Redruth, beautiful spot, outside pool. We went with a cruising 7mo 2 years ago and loved it, sure there's lots to explore for older toddler as well. Accommodation superb.

http://m.littlewhitealice.co.uk/

PS your hubby is cheeky! It's hard work sorting holidays and breaks - I'm always the one to do it in our house!!

Spent Easter there with nearly 3 year old. North Cornwall has sandy beaches there are waves but if you go to a smaller cove they break it up, and there are lots of rock pools. We liked Porth, mawgan Porth and Watergate Bay, and although the latter is a surfer beach little one lived wave jumping and the big waves were further out.

I've stayed at Carbis Bay twice, just outside St Ives so no parking problems and you can get the train that runs along the coast from Penzance to St Ives. Beach is lovely white sand and views could be in the med on a sunny day! There was a soft play place in Carbis Bay but I didn't go in it, just in case you have a rainy day.

Hi, we have stayed at the Harlyn Inn which is just opposite Harlyn Bay. http://www.harlyn-inn.co.uk/

The beach is great (sandy and shallow) and also has rock pools etc. There are only a few (literally 4 or 5) steps down to the beach. It was great being so close to the beach, which meant we could just go for a quick play before everyone else was up. And we found that a few hours in the morning at the beach was enough for minikatsu. So we all napped together in the afternoon which made it really nice and relaxing.. (he doesn;t nap now...grrr) But we were sharing a house with my sister's family, which made it affordable.

Good luck with your search!

Ooh thanks for all these suggestions-looking forward to having a google / map session this evening to figure it all out. Annoyingly lots of the "availability" pages on farm websites haven't been updated for weeks so having found lots of nice places that show availability, I'm finding that most are full....grrr! #leftittoolate!

If you're able to go outside of the school hols, there is a cottage (Rose cottage) available last wk of June or w/b 19th July & more flexibility come September at my favourite Cornwall destination (Bosinver farm cottages - website has info on general child friendly activites as well as info about them - www.bosinver.co.uk).

Bit worried I might come across evangelical, but it's fab & they won best self catering resort in the South West at is years British tourism awards.

Hope you get it sorted & have a fab break :-)

Hi,

If you get stuck, we have a cabin on the cliffs at Whitsand Bay. It's a stunning location on one of the most beautiful beaches in Cornwall, but there are steps down onto the beach. It's not too hard work, but if you're slightly fit you'd be fine and you can be on the beach from the cabin in 10 mins. We have lots of families who stay throughout the year and we have a 4 year old and a 3 month year old.

There is a lovely little cafe about 50 yards away and a great restaurant about a 10 min walk away.

We have a couple of weeks left in August.

You can fine pictures etc here....

http://www.oneoffplaces.co.uk/Europe/England/Cornwall/Shamrock-Cabin.aspx

Cheers,

Matt

Hi folks, slight complication is the DH only had a specific week in July booked off so reduced our flexibility a little. Also we need a 3 bed place as MIL is coming too. I have managed to find somewhere though, lovely farm on the south coast near a beach. Was really helpful to get coast / beach suggestions. Some of the farms you suggested are amazing and will definitely be on my list for next years holiday if this one works well!!! Will let you know if its any good :o)