Record Shop on Lordship Lane ?

• 2 weeks later...
Had a look earlier - the guy running it (John) is very friendly and I think it should be good, with a variety of vinyl. He was however still in the throes of putting his stock out, so we left quite quickly after a very cursory look to let him get on with it - but will return. It would be great if something like this works out and I wish John the very best.

We went along to say hi and welcome.John (who tour manages bands) was in the throws of set up. Hours will prob be 10-7pm as he will use the shop to work out of. Not much going on when we went in, but we hope he stays. He's a localof ED as well, which is nicer than having someone from 'other parts' come into the Lane to set up shop.

can't say as I'm bothered where he comes from but I will agree with madworld74 that I hope he stays

Popped in on Monday to have a nose and he was most agreeable and very happy to talk about new bands etc - I think we should lock him and Mockney Piers in there and power Lordship Lane of the energy resulting from the conversation

He wants the place not to be just a record shop but a "hang-out" which sounded so old-fashioned I nearly laughed but I actually really like the idea .There are however some issues..

Several days in and the stock, whilst very browsable, was limited. Vinyl is better catered for than CDs and makes it a lovely place to go but there was nothing I wanted to buy. Plenty that was good but I already had it, or didn't fancy the prices.

I think it's an interesting first-stab, and a very personal effort which makes me very happy - but to survive I think he could do with some more feedback. I urge everyone to pop in and check it out, and make sure you chat with the owner John

(I can imagine some people taking one look and dismissing the place, concept and execution in a blur of negativity - but it's a fragile thing so I'm nursing it)

I wish him all the best, several people on here have had a record shop on their wish list for LL so I hope they make use of it.

After being involved with running a record shop for a few years in the eary nineties I know very well how difficult it is. The profit margin is tiny.

Is he spec-ial-ising in a genre in particular I wonder?

Nipped in on Sunday and had a lovely chat with John.

He wants anyone local with a band to let him know as he wants them to have gigs there as well. High Fidelity fans will already be awaiting Springsteen's iminent announcement of a guest slot one rainy Thursday night!

SeanMcG is right when he says stock is idiosyncratic but picked a Spanish import 7" copy of Ghost Town by The Specials (at a bargain ?3) so I was a happy bunny. Nearly got a Huey Lewis single as well but backed out at the last minute.

He's going to champion up & coming locals so best of luck to him.