Yummy Mummies

I have to say I really used to enjoy living in East Dulwich and going to Lordship Lane on a Saturday but I am now had enough. The main problem I have is the extent of the Yummy Mummy culture in Dulwich, all I ever see in Lordship Lane is prams, young mothers and babies in pubs. Last night my partner and I were in the Clock House in Barry Road and there were babies in there together with young children screaming the house down, I dont understand how you can take a small child into a pub on a weekday evening.

The whole of the Lordship Lane and the area has just been taking over by Yummy mummies and the joy of having a civilised drink has now gone. I am not against children far from it but this Yummy Mummy culture has changed Dulwich.

It's all the bloody leaves that really get me.

I mean, when I moved here, it was pretty leafy already. But now it seems like there are more trees than ever and the leaves are just everywhere. There's nowhere to have proper drink or anything anymore.

So those of us with kids are supposed to stay locked inside the house, and not even venture out to our local shops in case we annoy someone without children by pushing a baby in a buggy? Hmmmmm. Perhaps you should move to somewhere like Canary Wharf, you won't see many kids there.

Honestly, don't parents understand that if they go shopping on LL on a Saturday they're just going to get in the way of more important 'cool' people who are very busy mooching around in sunglasses and trousers of uncertain length

No-one minds seeing Mums with prams when they're tired, haggard, poor and downtrodden.

It's only when they're more well-off, generally sorted and have time to enjoy themselves that they become annoying.

Matt - you could try Vauxhall, but I hear it's hard for Mums with prams to have a civilised drink what with all the gay men taking over.

So those of us with kids are supposed to stay locked inside the house, and not even venture out to our local shops in case we annoy someone without children by pushing a baby in a buggy? Hmmmmm. Perhaps you should move to somewhere like Canary Wharf, you won't see many kids there.

Its all those bloody parents walking their kids to school that I can't stand! Some of them have up to three children with them! Don't they realise that people are busy in the mornings trying to buy the newspaper and stuff.

Pickle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Perhaps you should move to somewhere like

> Canary Wharf, you won't see many kids there.

Au contraire, it's pram*-city every weekend. Which is fine, but I'd not want Mr MattInDulwich18 to move there and be disappointed.

* not to mention cacti, cats and leaves. hmm, could be a book-title...

Of all parts of London I know the kids in ED are always beautifully turned out and well behaved when I have seen them in shops and pubs. I think it is nice the area has such a family vibe. I'm not a mum yet but could definitely see the benefits in bringing up kids here.

my kids have outgrown the pram, but i think i'll trot it out this weekend, on saturday specifically, for a slooooooowwww stroll down northcross road. not with the kids in it, mind you, because we will need it for our papers, shopping etc. i will put one kid on a scooter and one on the pedal-less bike, both on the crowded pavement of course. martin... what will you be wearing???

It is a bit annoying to say the least Mattindulwich....have you seen them 'power pramming' in the local parks? Talk about NOT building up a sweat or burning calories. They (said yummy mummies) would be better off doing some real exercise at either the East Dulwich leaisure centre (try Theo he is fab) or some of the classes at Peckham Pulse.

My young niece was cleaning the houses, til recently, for a few local yummy mummies and reported that most spent their time ordering online at John Lewis or nipping to Jojo Maman Bebe (:(() with their humungous red/orange buggies. Well, if it makes 'em happy who are we to knock 'em?

Tis true it is a rather dull existence (and rather unfair if it is one's husband's money one is spending frivolously), but that is purely my opinion. Plus I don't have the money to shop anywhere apart from the Peckam Lidl.

Incidentally, " I am not against children far from it but this Yummy Mummy culture has changed Dulwich". Changed it in what way? Was it ever the 'bohemian utopia' that some think it was? I doubt it. Shame though. I would like Mattindulwich to elaborate.

Wow! Hostile reception for Matt there. Bit of a hard core response to someone expressing an opinion? The response to Matt seems to be - "if you don't like it leave the area", but let's be balanced here - he is expressing his view and the child-lobby are expressing theirs. I don't think Matt called for all baby owners to leave the area?

Personally , although not a parent I love babies and children. It really puts a smile on my face to see young families out and about, enjoying themselves in the park and the playgrounds. But at risk of begin commanded to leave the area, I do agree with Matt to some extent. Surely it;'s about appropriateness and boundaries? Some places exist to cater for the needs of children, and others are for adults. I don't go into the middle of the kiddies playground, or the city farm, or sit on the swings with my fags and pint - and I'd be run out if not arrested if I did - and yet parents are outraged that an adult might want to pursue adult pursuits an an adult environment in the evening after a hard days' work and probably stressful commute.

I appreciate that it must be nice for mums to congregate in local pubs for a catch-up and to let their kids play together. I know it's not easy being a stay at home mother, but working 40+ hours a week is not much fun either. Surely the childless have rights too? I'd like to think it fair to hope that in the evening, pubs might be left to the adults?

Bob "No-one minds seeing Mums with prams when they're tired, haggard, poor and downtrodden."

I believe there are plenty of said mums in Peckham, and despite their exhaustion most tend to be reasonably affable. Perhaps it is because they would rather spend a fiver on a packet of fags than power pramming in Dulwich Park. Who knows?