Cat Epidemic (stop them going in my garden)

Has anyone tried an ultrasonic cat scaring device? I was thinking of buying one yesterday but wonder how effective they are. I don't mind cats being in the garden too much but both of next door's come inside our house every time a window or door is open which is going to get even more annoying now that summer is (hopefully) coming...

Get one of these little gadgets.

Works off a battery, motion sensor activated: each time a moggy, fox, etc goes through your garden it delivers a wide-angle sprinkling of water - straight between the eyes, day or night. ?54. Job done.

Cats are supposed not to like the smell of garlic, and all the proprietary anti-cat products on the market are based on garlic. There was an article about a war with urban cats in The Times ages ago, I think it was by Giles Coren, which had me on the floor laughing. As did Loz's post, sorry to be unsympathetic but it really is very funny.

Thanks for the tips folks, it seems I am not on my own. On first glance outside this morning I can see 2 fresh turds in my borders. Seriously, why would anyone willingly invite vermin into their house? it's beyond me!

Erm, surely that would depend on how you define vermin?

From Wikipedia: "Since the term is defined in relation to human activities, which species are included will vary from area to area and even person to person"

Cat's don't like being squirted with water.

Cats remember when and where they've been squirted with water and learn from it.

Being squirted with water doesn't hurt.

Having a machine that saves you having to sit-up all night waiting for cats to come past so you can squirt them with water is a great idea.

There's another old saying along the lines of "f**King ba**ard I've trodden in another f**king cat Sh*t and now I've got to spend the next half an hour trying to wash putrid faeces out of the tread of my trainers"

ok, OED (which is preferable to Wiki IMO) says "Animals of a noxious or objectionable kind. Originally applied to reptiles, stealthy, or slinky animals". So I concur, they could be construed as vermin. Personally I'd rather have a bit of cat shit than ten thousand mice and several rats in the garden.

I would go with the squirty machine.

Bob S

In answer to your question, I don't know anyone who's tried it and yes, ?54 is a lot of cash.

I believe Mr Alan Dale has also mentioned the device in question some time ago and was thinking about it - as The *Bobs* have been for some time. Perhaps he has made a purchase and can report back.

I did speak to the manufacturer and have looked at the demo videos etc, and it does look like the only thing that will be a full-time guard against cat and fox cack. They seemed very confident. A cat will trigger the sensor.. the sprinkler fires a burst over around a 60 degree arc so can cover a fair amount of garden (certainly enough for most gardens round here) so providing you put it in the right spot, I can't see how it won't do the job - at least keep them away from the bits you really want them kept away from. And you can move it around if they change their route through your garden. Connecting it up to the hose (and disconnecting for other use) plus turning it off when you want to use the garden might be an arse, but then so is cleaning cack out of your shoe tread with a twig when you really want to be sitting in the garden.

We're still thinking about it. It depends how much cat and fox cack gets trod in and how many tantrums I have, I suppose.

*Bob*

Untill your post I had never heard or seen this (squirter) must agree with you it seem's the perfect answer but it realy pee,s me off to spend the money to stop other people's cat,s craping in my garden but like you another shoe full of smelly crap and in a fit of rage I might relent and purchase said item thanks for bring it to my notice.

Bob S