Football Focus

Otta

So FIFA awarded the WC to Qatar and now admit to not having the foresight to realise it would be too hot in every respect for it to be played in the Summer. How bad is that for a governing body? Now they want to hold it in the Winter there and want everyone to adapt their seasons accordingly.

I suspect this award in the first place has corruption written all over it and England if no one else should boycott it.

fwiw my alter ego somehow managed to fix the old thread; quite spectacular destruction by D_C, he even managed to demolish the moderator controls. Luckily his post was a reply to gingerbeer's allowing me to hide it by hiding hers, then reinstating hers.

Anyway, we have a shiny new thread so academic really.

Liverpool won't have lost that much as there would've been lots of add-ons in the headline fee. Then again West Ham probably won't be paying the full headline fee. Madrid were apparently looking to buy Bale on the never never, repayments spread over 6 years...el Wonga! :)

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Downing in.

>

> Nice to see our Feeder club doing their job...just

> Suarez to pick up now :)

Yep, Downing one of the most one dimensional players I've seen....perfect for us then!

Joking aside, I'm semi-positive, Ravel Morrison has score quite a few pre-season, be interesting to see if BFS has rounded the edges of a particularly rough diamond.

Downing is a strange one. He had one absol;utely cracking season at Boro, and has never quite lived up to the potential that I believe he has. Still, I never wanted him at Liverpool, I was gobsmacked at the price we paid, and I'm glad he's off the wage bill. I do wish him luck though, and he and Carroll could do well...

I'd have preferred to see Parker back as this looks like all-eggs-in-one-basket footy relying on an injury prone target man. Agree Morrison looks 'promising pre season' but - said that before about so many it seems.

Wonder if Fabio Quagliarella deal is still in the offing?

i know what you mean Maxxi but Scott Parker isn't going to solve the striker shortage and to be honest Nolan comes up with his fair share. My highlight of the closed season is (so far) we've still got Diame, for me, a jewel *crosses fingers,toes and testicles*.

edited to correct plural of bollox

Quagliarella on loan would do a job - but I think we're safe too - more I think we'll be top ten again.

Is it prediction time again yet?

Chelsea for the title, Mans U&C next, then a three-way fight between Spurs, Gooners & Liverpool - so far so predictable but I fancy Swansea as an e/w bet.

Palace, Hull, Norwich to go down.

So England v Scotland tonight. I remember when this game really used to mean something especially during the Home internationals. Where are the players of Denis Law, Jimmy Johnstone, Jim Baxter, Kenny Dalglish and Steve Archibald in the Scottish game these days?

Our Under 21s were excellent last night in a six-nil victory over the old enemy and can the big boys do something similar? I'm going for an England two-nil victory.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23548412