In your yooooof

ratty

Er like what are you guys on about? Like every normal callow youth I was sitting insides reading Goethe and "Thus Spoke Zarathustra" listening to the Smiths whilst my big bro flailed around going to nightclubs. To paraphrase the Waterboys;

"You wondered out in the world for years

While I just stayed in my room

You saw the crescent

I saw the whole of the moon!

The whole of the moon!"

ps Once or twice I followed him out to places such as Bagleys. Why couldn't the people speak?

ChavWivaLawDegree Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> In Birkenhead there was a skanky dive called the Pleasuredome

Oh my God!!!!!!!!! How could I have forgotten that place! Think it was owned by the same people that have the Equinox on Leicester Square.

I also remember in 1989 (the year the clubs banned it in media inspired moral panic mode so created the outdoor vibe) that for a few short weeks a soundsystem was set up on Clapham Common on Sunday lunchtime for the returning throngs from home counties fields....aciieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed

MW 74 - did you used to go to the Velvet Underground on a Wednesday night, Jon of the Pleased Women Djing '95 - 96??

Six foot transvestite on the door (Darren I think it was..), me and my mates had just arrived in London and just started clubbing.. Great days, used to love that place.

Club UK - what a blast from the past, massive place if I remember correctly.

Ah memories here goes

The Sundowner - opposite Centre point

Hatchets - Piccadily

Global Village - Charing Cross (great funk/soul early 70's now called heaven)

Cheeky Petes - Richmond

Lyceum (on a monday night in the early 70's) - The Strand

Orange Tree pub - Havil Street Camberwell (has ben pulled down to make way for flats)

The Rose pub - Edmund street Camberwell

Temple bar pub - Walworh road

Apples and Pears pub - Bermondsey

The Camel pub - Bethnal Green (I think)

The Florists Arms pub - Bethnal Green (I think)

Crackers club - Wardour street

Room at the top club - Stratford/Ilford (can't remember which)

Prince of Wales pub - Ruby Street off the old Kent road

Uplands pub - ED (great music venue in the early 70's)

Sloop John D club - (this was on a boat moored between chelsea and albert bridge and could only be accesed by a ferry that sailed every half hour, what a great place it was)

Bonn Bonnie - Herne Hill

The Royal - Tottenham (guaranteed to hear great soul, funk, before anybody else had it in the early 70's and always a huge ruck just before chucking out time)

Beat Route - Frith Street (early 80's haunt)

Goldmine - Canvey Island

King and Queen pub - Mottingham

Gullivers - West End

The Grove - Camberwell (early 70's to early 80's great pub after that it went downhill)

Music Machine - Camden

Birds Nest - Kings road

Sombreros - somwhere in the west end

Camden stores - Camden

Chimes - Peckham

Kentish Drovers - Old Kent Road

The Anchor - Old kent Road

And many many more!!!!!!

When I first moved to Peckahm (c. 1994) there was a Club on the High St. Never went but can anyone remember what it was called?

Just remembered another "somewhere in a field in Hampshire" moment - Mythology.

Ooooh just remembered "snowballs" too - think at one point I swapped a car for about 40 of the buggers! :)

Ratty I def think that you and I were at Sterns at the same time!!!! jesus, did we really dance like that!!!do you remember the petrol station that everyone used to hang out at after the rave? ha!

I went to The Edge as well and I think Trade at Turnmills (altho that weekend was a blur)

Snowballs! ha ha.....yes oh yes and the rest... (sshhh we'll probably get into trouble!)

I went to some do's at the Lazerdrome in early nineties.... i keep trying to work out where it was but reckon it was at the very bottom of the rye.... did there used to be a pub called kings n queens there on the corner??

Bouncers use to have huge swords that they'd brandish if anyone got out of line..... oh yes all good fun. what was I thinking?

Oh yeh I forgot about all the dives I used to go to down the Old Kent Road - The Henry Cooper, The Thomas a Becket, Green man, and the one next to Lidl that has changed it's name so many times I can't remember what it's called now.

Is the one with the same name as that other famous meat market in Stretham (CEASERS?)still there? It was the other side of Lidl. I think it might be flats or something now.

The fridge Bar in Brixton - lot's of sweaty nights bumping and grinding down there a few years back.

Lazerdrome - that was it.

Looks like we would have been at Sterns at the same time. I used to go with HouseJunkie or Aubrey each week as it meant I got in free! Also meant I spent most of the time in the Underground - or drinking tea outside! :)

Memories

I used to have the odd cup of tea in Club UK (seemed a good idea at the time). But the one thing I could never, ever stand was pissed up idiots eating chips. The smell/sight/thought of food at 4 in the morning after a fist full of party smarties - ye gods. The thought still turns my stomach.

The Green Man.....used to go there years back when it was open later than most places in Camberwell (obviously kept my Hammers Tatoo hidden :-S

Anyone used to go downstairs in the Marbella in camberwell after all the pubs shut...one notch up from Bolus and packed (including Bob Mortimer most Fridays)?

theres a mention on the thread (scrolled must have missed it) where the lorries full of speakers that would turn up in clapham common. theyd just open a tarp that ran down the sides of the truck and blast the quite substantial crowd.we al knew to meet there.. people hanging off lamposts and stuff. was very fun. Last night my friend was playing bongoes in a bar in clapham arches. I was thinking how lost the spirirt of clapham back then is now.

Oh wow, my music taste is soooo much cheesier that you guys! (or was).

Wednesday's: Bon Bonnie (remember, in Herne Hill!)

Thursday's: Blue Orchid (Croydon)

Friday's: Fridge for a garage night (circa 1996/7)

Saturday's: Satellite Club at Colloseum (Vauxhall)

Sunday's: twice as Nice - Colloseum

:-$:-$