Cycling on the pavement

NickT

a fish Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh and, who - or indeed what - is DJKQ?

A previous poster, renowned for her elaborate story telling abilities and personal vendettas. Awfully sorry if I've mistaken your good self for such an unpleasant character.

OK, let me make myself clear. I am not now, and never have been an EDF user called DJKQ. I?m assuming from Breaks' and LadyDeliah?s posts that there has been a user of this name; presumably one who is clear thinking, erudite, interesting and tenacious in his or her pursuit of the truth, one who has very little time for straw men and evasive posting. Probably a pretty snappy dresser too. If you guys want to persist in thinking I am he or she, well, that?s your problem, not mine

To this forum, yes. To forums in general, no.

The persona I adopt, much like you, is one who sticks to the empirical truth, gets a bit sarky sometimes, and delights in the use of language. If that's what you class as a personal vendetta, well, whatevs girlfriend, whatevs.

LadyDeliah Wrote:

> You haven't been on long enough to exhibit

> evidence of a penchsnt for personal vendettas. You

> got personal, but that only lasted for 2 or 3

> posts.

>

> The personal vendettas was relating to the

> infamous DJKQ.

I know. I'll forgive you this time ;-)

Meanwhile, at the risk of getting repetitive, I showed you a picture of someone cycling at speed in a place where they are expressly forbidden. What was wrong with him getting off and pushing the bike, like most cyclists who go through there? What danger is he avoiding by staying on his bike? Why do the signs banning cycling in there not apply to him?

It's not an empty road with trucks going down. As I said in my post about it:-

"...Grand Avenue, the semi-pedestrianised bit across the middle of Smithfield meat market. I say semi-pedestrianised, because while delivery vans and fork lifts are allowed in, bikes aren't, and the big signs at both ends with crossed out bicycles and the words 'cyclists dismount' should have been a clue to this guy...

...Grand Avenue is actually peoples' workplace, they are nipping back and forth across the road all day, on foot, with hand trucks and trolleys, and on forklifts. How would you like it if someone shot through your workplace like this, eh?"

Here, this is it:- http://goo.gl/maps/043Yq

LadyDeliah Wrote:

> Still no biggie as far as I can see if you cycle

> slowly, especially as per the guy in your pic when

> there is no-one on foot in sight.

OK, are you now being deliberately obtuse? a)he's not cycling slowly, as I pointed out, he was going pretty fast, b)not counting me, who had to step sideweays to get out of his way, there were plenty of people in sight, working away in their place of work, '...nipping back and forth across the road all day, on foot, with hand trucks and trolleys, and on forklifts...', and c) (pity there's no huge emboldening text function on here) CYCLING IS BANNED THROUGHOUT GRAND AVENUE. Why do you think the security guy shouted at him to dismount?

Edit: Also, one of my colleagues has just 'anecdoted' me, one of the butchers got hit badly enough to break his wrist a few years ago by some tosser on a bike who wasn't on the road through the market, where it's banned, but on the pavement, where it's banned and fcuking stupid.

LadyD - so, an empty road, no traffic or pedestrians waiting to step off the pavement - is it alright for a motorist to break the speed limit? A traffic junction on red, no other vehicles around, do I really have to wait for the light to turn green before I drive across?

Having just skimmed A Fish / pxyzyzygy's photobucket account, I can attest that they most certainly probably, perhaps are not a female DJKQ and that some sort of bucket is definitely required having seen a male 'naked except for a strategically placed hat' photo.

I can't even begin to form thoughts about cycling in that bit of Smithfield where massive lorries decant slabs of meat.

I always assumed that cycling was restricted there as it's private land, and not part of the highway. Probably wrong though. I'm also struggling how you managed to accurately convey speed in a static photo.

snowy Wrote:

> Having just skimmed A Fish / pxyzyzygy's

> photobucket account, I can attest that they most

> certainly probably, perhaps are not a female DJKQ

> and that some sort of bucket is definitely

> required having seen a male 'naked except for a

> strategically placed hat' photo.

>

> I can't even begin to form thoughts about cycling

> in that bit of Smithfield where massive lorries

> decant slabs of meat.

>

> I always assumed that cycling was restricted there

> as it's private land, and not part of the highway.

> Probably wrong though. I'm also struggling how you

> managed to accurately convey speed in a static

> photo.

Sorry folks, I?ve now deleted that picture link (I?ll try another way when I get home and have more time), as it was only supposed to link to one photo, and not the entire account! Something?s changed with Photobucket, that?s the second time it?s happened lately. But yes, I am indeed male, and yes, I have been known to hang a hat in a place where it perhaps isn?t traditionally worn...

a fish Wrote:

> snowy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Sorry for ever seeing that photo!

>

>

> Hahahaha! You can never unsee it!

How wonderful it would be if this tortuous, ground-hog thread could end right here - on the subject of a fish's fishing wedding tackle!

I can?t do 7 words but here?

Cyclists should not cycle on the pavement if they can help it. It p*sses people off. However in some circumstances is it acceptable if going slowly and giving way to pedestrians. If someone is bombing down the pavement and crashes into someone they should be arrested. The laws are already enforced to some degree - more so than the 20mph limits are for car drivers. The police and community warden should focus their limited resources on the people breaking the law who are posing most risk of causing fatalities and serious injuries to others i.e. dangerous drivers. People complaining about cyclists pootling along empty pavements at 5mph need to get a life.

Cats are nice.