Magdala changing ownership

kels

i changed from the cpt to the mag for football watching and love it - room to sit and stand, loads of screens, decent enough beer selection, no chelsea man and fantastic pies and pizza. i wouldn't like to see it change and don't understand why as it's always busy when i'm there.

I'm a big fan of The Mag too - being a regular Sunday night pub quizzer there! So I really hope they keep the quiz going (with Beany as quiz master!) And the Pieminster pies and pizza are great too......

Fingers crossed it won't be a chain pub!

I agree Mag was great for watching footy. However Jamma, I'm honestly not just saying this as a CPT regular, but for me, the CPT is miles better for sports than the EDT with it's horrific blurry screen!

My point was more that the patrons of an older-style pub who drink pint after pint (and often don't eat) are less desirable than ones who do eat. OK, yes they too may drink and drive, which is unnacceptable. But from a personal view a restaurant will have a far less rowdy and obnoxious customer.

KalamityKel, I don't mean to offend you, but you obviously don't live in an ear-shot of the Magadala. I've heard bear-talking mumblings about all-sorts of relationship dilemmas. Swearing, general stupid late night carry on like..... "aww babe, babe listen to me, i aint gonna do it again, I werent doin anyfing rong, I promise"....

Second that Kels...I like the Mag's pizzas as much as anyone, but if you live within earshot it's nightmare. The wit of the average post-pub conversation is always inversely proportional to the volume it's shouted at. But I don't know whether to be pleased or worried...what will the replacement be like? Without wanting to reignite the wine-bar vs restaurant vs proper pub conundrum, what does everyone want? Something with less sick and broken glass outside wins my vote.

My vote too. I'd welcome a fairly priced/ high quality/ restaurant/ bar, much like the Palmerston. God I love the food there. And the service is awesome. The Manager really knows just the right amount attention to give and is great on his wine list. It's a credit to East Dulwich. Sure I can't afford to eat there every week, but it's what I look forward to eating at and I have never been disappointed yet. Lunch specials rock too. It reminds me of an amazing and rustic bar/ restaurant in Paris.

k

A nice pub would be great, maybe a bit more like the plough. It can get a little roudy from time to time so hopefully the few chav types that hang about in the magdala will venture back to maybe the harvester on the south circ.

probably. Only been there about 4 times and the vibe does vary. Generally I found it to be good friendly service and a nice place to meet up with mates. If eating it has to be the burgers as other meals have not been as great.

Anyway EDT, Bishop, I don't care any change to the mag will hopefully be for the better.

And Keef, there are "drinkers" and then there are "drinkers".... I do feel sorry for the big fat bloke that camps there of a night to enjoy his pint or 2 or 3. Who's going to love him now. He'll look a bit odd in a fancified establishment.

Kels, what exactly do you mean I lived here before it was built? I found this entry on the 1881 census for the Magdala Tavern

1881/William A Dowling/Licensed Victualler/28

1881/Emma Dowling/Wife/24

1881/Ernest Dowling/Son/8

1881/Percy Dowling/Son/2

1881/James Dowling/Son/1

1881/Walter Denbarx/Barman/19

1881/Laura Denbarx/Inn Servant/21

1881/Ellen Hopkins/Cook/24

1881/Emily Baines/Nurse/17

I'm aka Percy Dowling :)-D

*kidding* No seriously I love our house and the location. When you live in London I believe you have the following choices for locations....main roads, near a railway line, nosey neighbours (usually of the well worn/ long in the tooth/ too much time on their hands), weird/ ferral neighbours, noisey neighbours, subsidence, crime hotspot, too expensive, too hoity toity, too dull, too conservative, too 2 dimensional....need I go on. I am cool with being close to a pub, it makes for a convenient life. But I'm still keen on seeing it upgraded.....

And we have the nicest neighbours...so lucky! a few lager louts don't really bother us that much when you weigh up everything else.

:))

I think the biggest issue is watching sport. It's nice to have a pub where lots of people can go to watch a big game without it being particularly lairy or whatever. That used to be The Forresters, then the Mag, next it'll have to be the CPT (and The Castle next if, heaven forefend, the CPT should succumb to the gentrification virus) but it's sad that the choice is diminishing.

It helps to foster a sense of community if people can go watch big sporting events together.

"It helps to foster a sense of community if people can go watch big sporting events together."

I was hoping this would be the case with the CPT but it was dead for the FA Cup and for the Euro games I saw there. Before the Grove in Camberwell was ruined the public bar was brilliant for sport. Nothing has come close for atmosphere since.