Too many trees in East Dulwich. (Lounged)

jrussel

Brilliant.

But I think our canine friend is serious aren't you?

It's a wee bit artless isn't it? You've got a development that you want to make, but a tree is blocking your grand plan, so you wrote to Bozza asking him to ban trees? Talk about escalation. Deep breaths, honey.

EDOldie is supporting you because (s)he feels cutting trees is cruel (and presumably inhumane), when you want to see the things slaughtered to line your pocket with green-folding.

Brings new meaning to 'barmy alliance'.

EDOldie, stop it. That's silly.

JRussell, you must be bored or overtired. Either way, writing letters to Bozza is not going to help you in your objective. If you have an issue with a planning restriction then find a proper reason and take it to the planning committee. Writing a letter will be a short term thrill, but in the end you'll be calling Blondie a w@nker for not writing back. You know it.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> EDOldie is supporting you because (s)he feels

> cutting trees is cruel (and presumably inhumane),

> when you want to see the things slaughtered to

> line your pocket with green-folding.

>

> Brings new meaning to 'barmy alliance'.

>

> EDOldie, stop it. That's silly.

>

I think it's better to remove a tree rather than chop it around to fit in with whatever. Trees are not more important than people and circumstances can arise where they need to be removed and that can lead to people making money. Thats life. I simply feel jrusssell has a point, it might not be a good one, but it is a point. And that people can be a bit quick to condemn and shout down anyone who says anything that doesn't fit in with the hackneyed eco/pc views of trendy ED. If I got my chopper out that would be silly.

I don't think this is a 'green things' issue in the current newsworthy sense(eg airport protests, emissions, global warming, whale-saving, nutroast-eating, multicolour jumpers etc).

It's surely just a case a people literally liking the look of green, living things in preference to more sallow, miserable concrete.

My current working vista is a large window through which I can only see trees, swaying gently in the breeze to the the sound of cheap music, and perhaps a few chimney pots. I'd hate to see it go in order to squeeze in a few starter homes. I'd rather newlyweds get their first foot on the ladder in, say, Luton, and work their way back in.

Here as promised is the text of the letter I have just sent to the mayor's office:

============================================

Dear Mr. Boris Johnston, Mayor of London,

Firstly may I congratulate you on your recent election to the office of Mayor of London.

I would like you to apply your mayoral attention to an issue most important to London and the planet as a whole but which is currently overlooked. We must stop being so precious about trees in this city. There seems to be an attitude, mainly held by suburban-minded individuals who will defend their own personal convenience at the expense of amenity to the general population, that trees must be defended at all costs and also planted in virtually every last square foot of empty space. One person may enjoy a view of a tree from their window, another person may enjoy having a small home on the piece of land occupied by the tree rather than festering in a homeless hostel surrounded by people who will sell them drugs and ruin their life forever. Or perhaps a childrens' hospital, is this less important than the housewife who likes to glance at a distant tree in between chores when she could just plant a new bush in the back garden or perhaps invest in a window box? Not only this but I have recently witnessed a lady walking on my street late at night whose shoe became wedged between paving slabs lifted by the roots of a tree, who subsequently sprained her ankle and had to receive medical attention. I dread to think what the result may have been had this lady been an elderly person with osteoporosis in which case there would have been broken bones. This tree is very inappropriately planted in the middle of the pavement. One of its branches overhangs my house and the leaves from it have repeatedly blocked my drains forcing me to often climb a ladder which is a safety risk in itself. Mr Johnston you may think these are trivial issues but the fact is they are just pieces in the jigsaw of a larger picture and that picture is that we have become blind to our obsession with trees in this city and we value them more than our fellow humans, it seems.

Now I am aware that your sympathies may lie with the suburban mentality of the outer boroughs who I understand elected you to your position. But it is your duty to recognise the needs of genuine urban dwellers and also our planet which is gradually becoming consumed by sprawl. Some of your recent policy decisions leave me with little faith that you have any genuine interest in environmental concerns but I do hope that you will take a few minutes of your time to consider the points I am making and perhaps you will have the foresight and vision to recognise their significance.

I would very much appreciate if you could outline for me your policies on the planting of new trees, maintenance of existing trees, and preservation of trees balanced against the need for new development in this capital city of one of Europe's most crowded nations.

I have copied this letter to certain other politicians who I am sure will be as keen to hear your response as I am.

Thank you for your attention

Yours sincerely,

[real name omitted ]

Tsk tsk Bob...i was agreeing all the way with you right up to the point of Luton!! I myself am a newlywed to be and no way is Luton a favourable place for anyone...especially if you work in docklands area like my other half does!Bring on the housing price spiral and a favourable mortgage advisor i say!! How about we use same ethos and pack all oldies, and ne`r do wells who take up properties that could be used for a better purpose to Luton instead!!Pah and double pah!!

Really, this post illustrates the selfishness of your stance. You want to maintain Southwark at an inappropriately low density and thus force others to live in undesirable locations such as Luton but you would not do so yourself.

Also: how many trees are there in Docklands? Do you think your other half would have a job if we had planted trees in the docklands instead of building skyscrapers?

Shaolin Wolf Wrote:

> Tsk tsk Bob...i was agreeing all the way with you

> right up to the point of Luton!! I myself am a

> newlywed to be and no way is Luton a favourable

> place for anyone...especially if you work in

> docklands area like my other half does!Bring on

> the housing price spiral and a favourable

> mortgage advisor i say!! How about we use same

> ethos and pack all oldies, and ne`r do wells who

> take up properties that could be used for a better

> purpose to Luton instead!!Pah and double pah!!

Someone obviously isn`t keeping abreast of proposed plans for docklands JR...check proposals for large green spaces and trees for the area and then come back to me on this one. For gawds sake JR get a chainsaw and sort the dang overhanging branch..if its in your property boundary then you are fully entitled! Is that really what incensed you to write a letter to the Bo? Fiddlesticks,tommyrot and rubbish...think you`ll find the local council is a labour seat isn`t it..so write to Labour local council about paving slabs becoming uprooted by tree roots and sure they`ll do something about..can`t imagine they`d ignore your plea...not!!

jrussel

Please can you tell us what is underlying cause of this issue, it will help us understand what make you write such things to the mayor...

Someone somewhere is in a druggy hostel, it's a tree's fault

A children's hospital hasn't been built, it's a tree's fault

An old lady with osteoporosis may break her leg, it's a tree's fault

jrussel might fall off a ladder, it's a tree's fault

Please put us out of our misery and tell what your real issue is? Were you refused planning permission for a house/extension/hospital because of a tree? Did Mr/Mrs Russell leave you for a tree?

[edited once]

Because of the high levels of social inequality in Britain high density residential areas inevitably just end up as slums except in the wealthiest areas.

But why? It?s not like that in Copenhagen.

Well Demark is one of the most socially equitable countries in Europe where the vast majority of people live where they do out of choice. They are not horded into high density housing and then given little chance of ever getting out again.

jaybee82 Wrote:

> Sorry, I don't know if anyones actually

> realised...the trees were here first, were they

> not?

Not necessarily and even if they were - so what? How is this relevant?

jrussel.. I think your letter to Boris is genius.

If there's a fine line between "genuine fruitloop" and "having a laugh" then your letter is right on it. I don't know if Boris will ever read it, but I'm sure someone at City Hall will pin it up in the canteen for a bit of fun.

JR you don`t half chat some rubbish! Of course trees were there first...just tell us your real issue rather than chatting rubbish about trees..surely you can blame the woman with a sprained ankle for wearing high heels by using same thread of thought...did you report it special branch??